Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..... and keeping Eddee tied to me 24/7... I have been working on his potty issues for 4 months now. I am treating him as a new pup. I crate him when I cannot have my eye on him. We go outside numerous times a day ....way numerous!

I have the actual marking fixed. I almost have the peeing in the house fixed. I even take the poop outside and show him. A few times that I got him to go outside I made a huge party of it ... and he got scared and squatted like he was going to pee himself?

I noticed he likes to do it when no one is looking and in the dark .... but I cannot make it dark all day long. AND he hates his feet getting wet. I literally have to carry him out and place him in the yard away from anything he can climb on. He will even walk the boat trailer to keep off the ground.

I just cannot get him to realize he has to poop outside. It started out that he would sneak off and poop and THEN come and paw at me as if to tell me he did it? He has it backwards.

Any suggestions ... it seems as if he is poop shy. Someone must have scolded him for pooping. I have had some tough ones ... but he is the toughest yet.

Maybe there is something I have not tried?

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Can you stake him outside in an area where you can watch him from home. If so stake him out go in home and watch. This would eliminate possible poop shying program. Some times I have started young pups attached to fence because when walking them they were more interested in me rather than getting the job done. Will it work for you, don't have a clue, just something to confuse the issue:)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you stake him outside in an area where you can watch him from home. If so stake him out go in home and watch. This would eliminate possible poop shying program. Some times I have started young pups attached to fence because when walking them they were more interested in me rather than getting the job done. Will it work for you, don't have a clue, just something to confuse the issue:)
That is an idea I totally did not think of. I will try anything at this point. Lol! :) I can take a tie out to the back of the property where there is a hidden wooded area behind some very large Forsythia bushes. I can see from the back garage window.

Thanks wvasko! :D I will keep you informed in a few days as to how this works.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
sometimes with really small foster puppies that didnt like the grass touching their bellies/feet, i would put an expen outside that was 3/4 on our concrete pavers, and 1/4 on grass. Leave them in there for a bit and see if you can get them to go. Often they would go on the concrete paver and then we would gradually scoot the expen off of the concrete (like over a few weeks) until it was all the way on the grass. By that point they would either be used to going on the grass, or would have learned by habit to pee/poo on the edge of the concrete and most would end up running off into the grass anyway.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sometimes with really small foster puppies that didnt like the grass touching their bellies/feet, i would put an expen outside that was 3/4 on our concrete pavers, and 1/4 on grass. Leave them in there for a bit and see if you can get them to go. Often they would go on the concrete paver and then we would gradually scoot the expen off of the concrete (like over a few weeks) until it was all the way on the grass. By that point they would either be used to going on the grass, or would have learned by habit to pee/poo on the edge of the concrete and most would end up running off into the grass anyway.
This is another option then ... thanks! :D

I can put the tie out also on the side yard if the back yard does not work. Lol! This is also part of the gravel driveway. It would give him both options ... including the outer edge of the cement garage floor. I can still hide around the corner and watch. There has to be some way to get through to him that I am not going to yell and scream and beat him! Poor guy! But 4 months of me being a sweetie pie is just not enough. :)

I can hardly wait until the snow flies ... if we are still working on it! ... I certainly hope we are finished by then! :/

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
When you take him out, do you stand around and wait for him to go or do you walk him? I find that Buffy will usually only pee when I take her out on a leash and just stand there, but whenever we go on extended walks, she almost always poops too. The motion gets things moving inside and she can't help it, I think.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Whatever you decide to do give it a chance cause jumping from one thing to another to another might not help.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you take him out, do you stand around and wait for him to go or do you walk him? I find that Buffy will usually only pee when I take her out on a leash and just stand there, but whenever we go on extended walks, she almost always poops too. The motion gets things moving inside and she can't help it, I think.
We usually do both. Stand around and walk in the yard a bit ... he pee's ... then for a walk down the road and back. Sometimes he still does nothing. We can go for multiple walks and lengthy ones too .... He has only pooped about five times doing this in four months. :/

The nights we camped out in the back yard ... that little guy waited until we went into the house come morning ... after his potty break ... and immediately ran for the bathroom ... in the bathroom! He pooped in front of the toilet. (Being I must do breathing treatments for copd in the morning ... I could not stay outside forever ... my meds are on a time frame too.) I am working around schedules for the both of us. I am glad the other dogs are fine. :)

I am beginning to wonder if his previous owners were actually teaching him this? :/

I will only try one thing at a time as far as the tie out's go ... extended time with each method. Taking all the advice I can get. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still sticking to the plan ... but ... WHoo Hoooo!!!! Eddee went poop outside after dinner tonight. I do not know why .... other than I gave him a bath before dinner in the bathroom ...... hmmmmm .... more baths? Lol! :D

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
It is possible he was litterbox trained. Small dog, maybe apartment dog or dog of someone with physical reasons they couldn't take him outside? I wonder if putting a pee pad in the yard might signal to him where to go.

I think tie-outs or long lines are the best bet to get a habit formed. Chester's silly because he's used to my fenced yard so he hates to poop on-leash. When he was at my parents' house after his eye injury, he refused to go on-leash so my poor father had to drive him over to his brother's house with a fenced yard twice a day! I think that both getting used to having "privacy" (via a fenced yard) and/or being reprimanded about pooping can set a dog up for not wanting to poop in front of his owner.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Make sure you are taking him out on a leash, always. What about walking him in another part of the yard, or up the street?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shell - That would be something if I had a litterbox and he used it. I have heard of people doing this.

InkedMarie - Yep ... All my dogs are always on a leash. I always fear them running off and getting run over. My worst nightmare! I know Terriers are really good at running off to look for prey. And Eddee is a wanna-be car chaser. We do up the street and in the woods too. :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Just off the top of my head, what if you fed him in the bathroom? That might help get him the message that bathroom is not Eddee's potty room, since dogs don't like to do their business where they eat?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just off the top of my head, what if you fed him in the bathroom? That might help get him the message that bathroom is not Eddee's potty room, since dogs don't like to do their business where they eat?
Excellent idea to add to the mix! :D Thank you! I will try that for dinner time. I usually feed him in his crate as a tool. But for now .... we can do a meal in there too.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Pete is sneaky about his business too. I've been watching him closely and tying him to me and I thought we had gone about a week with no "accidents"... but I just found a spot in the basement where he's clearly "gone" several times.... Arrrgghh!!! If he weren't so cute I would have strangled him long ago.

We are about to sell our house so I think all house freedom will be revoked, on leash always unless confined. At this point I think there is too much association with going inside here... I'm hoping we can start fresh with the new house. Maybe not a possibility for Eddee! I think gating whatever area we're in at the time might be helpful, Pete will only go if he can sneak away. Its a big house so closing access everywhere is impossible but if I'm in a room with him he will definitely ask to leave the room instead of going.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pete is sneaky about his business too. I've been watching him closely and tying him to me and I thought we had gone about a week with no "accidents"... but I just found a spot in the basement where he's clearly "gone" several times.... Arrrgghh!!! If he weren't so cute I would have strangled him long ago.

We are about to sell our house so I think all house freedom will be revoked, on leash always unless confined. At this point I think there is too much association with going inside here... I'm hoping we can start fresh with the new house. Maybe not a possibility for Eddee! I think gating whatever area we're in at the time might be helpful, Pete will only go if he can sneak away. Its a big house so closing access everywhere is impossible but if I'm in a room with him he will definitely ask to leave the room instead of going.
Good luck with Pete and the new house! :D

Our house is a one story house with two bedrooms and two bathrooms upstairs ... along with a huge kitchen/LR/sun room. He has also used the bathroom in the basement in the past. The problem is that as soon as I turn my back for even a second ... to just answer a phone ... and see that the dogs are playing nicely ... he scampers off and back so quickly ... I miss his trip! :/ And I am standing right there! I know I am not getting senile! Lol! :D In a way I guess it is true that dogs are a bit like their owners. I am also guilty of waiting until the last minute to "Hurry" up and go! Lol!

Eddee has the entire woods and yard and lake to use for his bathroom .... but he chooses the house bathrooms. I just scrubbed all the carpeting too with a good enzyme cleaner.

Today is my now normal shopping day and he will be crated for about 6 hours while I am away. Tomorrow we start a whole new training program. :)

I wonder if I am going to have to break out the booties I have packed away for the snow? lol! He must have lived a sheltered life before now. Probably why he ran away from his previous home! Boredom! You should have seen him this morning on his potty break. He saw his first real live deer close up. He wanted to chase them. :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh eddee. One day he'll bag himself a 10 point buck... or maybe just an antler.
Hehehe! .... I knew there was much more to him behind those beady little black eyes of his! lol! :) Freebee antlers!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK ............... So we have started the training after 6 days of ear drops, Frontline PLus, and Tri-Heart .... ready for the wilderness potty adventures! Lol!

I just got back from a walk. Eddee held out from his breakfast at 6:30am until just a bit ago. He refused tied outside to go poo. I took my doggie-doo-doo bags ... and he decided to go off of the side of the road on his walk.

I am now lining the back yard with poo bags! Lol! Do you think he will get the idea ... or am I just making extra work for myself? :D

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We don't have housebreaking issues with Hamilton, but there's something about going to the park will make him find poop in him that he didn't know he had. He can already have done his "usual" poops and without fail he will find a turd hiding in his colon somewhere just so he can poop at the park. Maybe it's the smells of other dogs or something. Maybe if you tried walking Eddee in other locations you could find one he really likes?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts