Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bring her home tomorrow evening and we'll be full time with her for 9 days. What other training should we begin and are we beginning the first few days of her being with us? We have our dog trainer coming in a week to work with us. Should we begin on commands? What else? thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
How old is the dog? I got my puppy at 10 weeks, I worked hard on teaching her 'Sit' among potty training, crate training, and it seems like I'm lax but I've been applying 'sit' to everything to teach her to be polite. She has to sit before I open the door, sit to put her collar on, sit to get her food, sit when she wants my attention and so on. She's 12 weeks now and I'm working on 'Down' and 'Give.'

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She will be 3 months. Not sure how much she has done with the breeder. Do you teach 1 command per every few days then move on to the next? I'll begin with sit.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Bite inhibition immediately! We did "sit" right away, though it was hard to tell he was sitting because his legs were so stubby. Then we used "sit" for him asking for anything, like a toy or coming up on the couch. Leash walking was also a big one from the start - not necessarily going for walks, just getting used to having a leash on. And, of course, housebreaking.

·
Registered
67 Posts
First of all, make a set of rules for yourself and stick to them. For my dog, the rules were: Go to the toilet outside only. No jumping on the sofa. No going upstairs until I say go. Chew toys in your bed, but nothing else. It took a while to enforce these, but I started by pushing him off the sofa and saying 'no' firmly when he wanted up, and worked from there.

Constantly say her name when you want her. Tap the floor, click, do whatever it is to get her attention while you say her name. Call her when you're in another room. It takes some time, but soon she'll recognise her name.

As for potty training, start that right away. Some people like the pee pads, but I never did, and neither did my puppy. Instead, when he went on the floor, I put him straight outside. Now he waits at the door and whines and barks.

As said, out of the commands, it is best to start with. Hold a toy or something she likes (you'll realise what toys she likes soon) out of her reach. If she jumps for it, say 'no'. Say 'sit' clearly and loudly, and gently push her bottom down to a sitting position. Do it many times, then give her the treat. Use hand gestures too. For sit I hold up my index finger. Do not move on to the next command until she has firmly grasped the first.

Next, you should teach her stay. For stay, I put my hand up. Do the same thing - when she is sitting down, walk backwards with a toy/treat, saying 'stay' loudly and clearly. If she comes after you, say 'no', implying this is not what you want, and bring her back. Tell her to sit, repeat. She'll grasp it soon enough. Enforce stay as much as possible. It's very useful. She will sit for toys, treats, food, and if you want to go the extra mile, make her sit when you open a door. You'll need to teach her 'go' as well. When she's sitting and staying, say 'go' in a gentle voice, wave her away, maybe with a point or something, to tell her she's allowed to go. When she goes, say nothing, because she might take this as a reprimand and think she did something wrong.

This is the basics, as far as I'm concerned. It does take time, love and patience, but in 9 days you can teach her her name, and maybe sit too. Don't expect the potty training to be REALLY quick, but it'll be quick enough. Place her bed in a room where it's easy to clean pee and poo, because she'll have accidents. She also may cry and whine a lot - it'll break your heart, but she just needs time to settle in and learn to love you, just like you'll love her. All the best!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
1. She may whine at night for about 3 days. Don't go running to see her each time, and she'll soon calm down. Make sure she doesn't have to go outside.
2. Don't spend 9 days with her and then suddenly disappear ... Spend a few hours, then leave her alone. MY backyard is puppy proofed, and I like to leave my pup in the backyard while I watch form a window. You might also try letting her out to potty, then putting her in the crate, giving her a Kong, and leaving the house for an hour.
3. You can start all kinds of training now: Sit, her name, take a treat gently, Bite Inhibition... and socializing with other people in about a week...or sooner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts