Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asher is growing up and my grooming/handling skills are coming along too.

First show (Baby Puppy)

Best Baby Puppy in Group

First show for points, 6 months (I wear this dress a lot. I only owned 3 'dog show' outfits at this point!)

New Champion at 7.5 months after 2 show weekends

First points as a Special

Best Puppy in Group

Last puppy show, Best Puppy in Show! New Grand Champion!

First time out as an adult

Beat a couple of 'top 5' in the country poodles

Our last show to date.

He's only 18 months so he still has some maturing to do to really be at the top of his game, and we have some insane competition right now, but happy with how my first show dog is doing! We also are taking competition obedience classes and have taken agility classes too (need more money to do everything I want to do!)

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Congratulations! He's a good looking boy and your grooming looks spectacular!

I am curious, what about Asher helped him win over other dogs in a competition? I am not very familiar with conformation but I know that poodles especially have it tough because of their popularity. No doubt he is a special boy and you are doing a fantastic job! But is there any specific quality that stands out in him and helps his game?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mostly he's well built. He has an amazing rear, and great head, good substance, moves well. Has enough attitude to be noticed. I'm so glad I went with the breeder I did to get the quality of dog I did for my first show dog.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Lovely :) I wish I had the eye to discern all those small details!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Oh man that hair. I can't even imagine how difficult it is to keep up with the Poodle hair cuts for the ring. You obviously are doing an awesome job!

Congrats on all the wins. He looks like a very nicely put together boy. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Congrats on all your success with Asher! Atlas and I were at the Battle River show this spring, but didn't have such a great time. Next time before I show him he's going to conformation boot camp, haha. So for now we're playing with agility and rally-o. :) I hear you on needing more money!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!
Congrats on all your success with Asher! Atlas and I were at the Battle River show this spring, but didn't have such a great time. Next time before I show him he's going to conformation boot camp, haha. So for now we're playing with agility and rally-o. :) I hear you on needing more money!
Larry Clark is having a 3 day handling clinic in October. He's fantastic.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks guys!

Larry Clark is having a 3 day handling clinic in October. He's fantastic.
I'm in the Edmonton area, and guessing you're in Calgary? There are a few good handlers up here so just have to make the effort to get him in somewhere! I'm thinking we missed the puppy stuff so maybe wait until he's two or closer and hopefully a bit more mature.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in the Edmonton area, and guessing you're in Calgary? There are a few good handlers up here so just have to make the effort to get him in somewhere! I'm thinking we missed the puppy stuff so maybe wait until he's two or closer and hopefully a bit more mature.
I'm in calgary but the clinic is north, in Bowden so it'd be a 2 hour drive(ish) from edmonton. You can go for 1, 2, or 3 days.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm in calgary but the clinic is north, in Bowden so it'd be a 2 hour drive(ish) from edmonton. You can go for 1, 2, or 3 days.
Money right now is more of the issue than distance, haha. Can only afford to focus on one thing at a time. So we'll work on some rally-o and piddle away at agility this winter and see what next year brings! :) Maybe I'll send him back to his breeder for a bootcamp in the ring as she has offered to show him for me before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts