Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've reached the time of year when the dogs are in and out a lot (when somebody's home.) My wife had taken to propping the door open, but we're also moving into mosquito and wasp season.

So I did this. A long-term solution will be a doggy door, but this cost less than $15 and installed in a few minutes. It can be removed easily in off season.

For those that haven't seen this thing on TV, and has a series of magnets that keep it closed, except when something or someone is walking through it.

Little Zeke figured it out first. He may be the smartest of the dogs here right now or it may just be because he only has to dislodge a singe magnet at the bottom.

Esther watched him and decided she could do it, too.

Molly, who is nervous about nearly everything, has yet to figure it out and has no inclination to do so.

·
Registered
88 Posts
so it actaully works. I was looking at getting one for the front door as the my nieces are usually running in and out of the house during the summer and usually leave the door open so we end up with a few wasp and bugs in the house would be nice to keep them out. might have to go and pick one or 2 up.

·
Super Moderator
11,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct me if I'm seeing things wrong, but couldn't the bugs still come in through the bottom part?
If they are determined, yes.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I guess we just have very determined stubborn bugs here. They will get in any little hole available! (especially the bees/wasps of course since my hubby is allergic to them lol).

Our cat has a bad habit of putting tiny holes in our screens. I swear the wasps just wait for this to happen so they can squeeze through and get in the house to terrorize us. We replace our screens VERY often lol

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
What is this called and where can you buy it? We're looking into such things as well, but the cheapest we can find here, start at about 120 Euros... A tad bit expensive. 15 dollars sounds amazingly affordable.

·
Super Moderator
11,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's called Magic Mesh.

Do a Google search. I'm not going to post a link because I'd have to ban myself. But Amazon has them or you can order direct. I got mine at a regional discount store. Some Wal-Marts carry them.

Just to be clear - I'm not necessarily endorsing this product. It's cheaply-made and hideous to look at. But it seems to be working (though Molly is still unsure.)

I will likely install a doggy door eventually.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
My sister agrees on the hideous part :p But as long as it works it's worth giving it a try. Our own screen door is done for after 20 years of good service. Until we've found a decent replacement we need something to keep the bugs and mosquitoes out.

Thanks for the Amazon suggestion :) We'll take a look.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I saw this in the store the other day and thought of recommending it to my friends who just use a piece of hanging mesh and a tab of velcroe - this looked a lot better to me. Now that I know it actually works, I'll let 'em know!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
They sell it at wal mart now I have seen it there, also pretty any where that has 'as seen on tv' things might have it. I was thinking of getting it for the trailer now I think I will

Tell me tho was it worth the money you paid for it?

·
Super Moderator
11,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tell me tho was it worth the money you paid for it?
$14.79 + tax? You can't buy a pizza for $14.79 + tax. If it saves a little running to the door to let the dogs in, it's worth it. If you really need the doorway secured against, say, killer bees, I'd probably keep looking.

Oh, and Molly has figured out how to get out, but not back in again (though the process is identical.)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I got one this year as well. My setter had no issues figuring it out. The other two were coaxed with treats. I love it. No bees, no birds coming in. The misquito test is yet to come, but I have a feeling they'll find their way in no matter what I put up.

I will say, that 3 of the magnet cases fell off after about 2 weeks of use. I super glued them back on.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I got one this year as well. My setter had no issues figuring it out. The other two were coaxed with treats. I love it. No bees, no birds coming in. The misquito test is yet to come, but I have a feeling they'll find their way in no matter what I put up.

I will say, that 3 of the magnet cases fell off after about 2 weeks of use. I super glued them back on.
well we have super glue here so ....... LOL. i just would live to get some fresh air being as we have just moved to the other ranch that is on a hill, so we get a lot of wonderful wind that blows thru here & it would be nice to have some fresh air in here lol

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Why, I think I'm going to try this. Shambles will barrel through any thing and once it is warm out our sliding door basically never closes. I think the only one who would not ever go through it is Magpie, and she would rather be dead asleep on the couch anyway.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Wish they made one the size of a 2 car garage door. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts