Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little chihuahua is highly irritating me. He has a disobedience problem and I have no idea to stop him. I just want to yell at him and smack him but that's defiantly not the solution and I won't do that.

These are my problems, I really hope to get some substantial advice on what to do

1. When I draw, he sits in my lap. I can't work cause i need a flat surface and its a frustration to work around him
2. He eats (chews) all of my utensils, pencils, erasers, ect.
3. He tries to play bite with me all the time, I'm ok with playing when its appropriate however 2/3 time of my day isn't consisted with playing but I do play with him a lot.

Any help would be greatly welcomed. Thank you to those who respond.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do take him out for walks, pretty far actually and it usually ends up him tugging me. Like is this a dominance problem. I have a very dominating personality so I don't understand but I'm sort of lost with this dog training thing. I was thinking about getting him a companion but I don't know if I have the energy or time for another one.

PS: those pictures of those dogs make me gush

·
Registered
288 Posts
Lucy thanks you for the compliment! That's her at 2 months, 4 months, and 6 months.

Sorry I'm not much help with advice for your chi. I think that it's a high energy breed? There's others on this forum that have the same breed. I bet you'll get some good advice from them.

I went to some obedience training with Lucy. That helped lots. I was actually surprised at how much I learned. (thought i knew so much already :eek:)

We still have to make sure she can't get to stuff we don't want her chewing. She especially loves all our flip-flops this summer.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
This isn't a dominance problem. Dogs aren't as prone to "dominating" as most think they are. These are typical stages that every dog goes through in puppyhood. If your dog is still a puppy, it means it's just part of his growing up, and if your dog isn't a puppy anymore, it means he was never trained out of these behaviours.

Getting another dog will not in any way or form lessen your workload, so I don't recommend it. You might think that the other dog will occupy your Chi and both of them will be out of your way, but what's more likely to happen is that you'll have not one but two untrained dogs running around the house and tearing things up. If this makes sense: two dogs are more trouble than twice that of one dog. (However, they're also more fun than twice that of one dog, once you've got them trained.)

About the problems:

1. What does he do when you try to remove him from your lap? Does he have a crate you can put him in when you're working?

2. Does he have toys that are appropriate for chewing? You need to praise him like crazy when he is chewing on one of these objects. You also need to manage your environment to restrict his access to non-chewing things (ie your stuff) so as to prevent unwanted behaviour from being rehearsed. This could mean crating him when you can't supervise him, or keeping all your art supplies up on a shelf or table where he can't get to them.

3. Read our sticky here: http://www.dogforums.com/19-first-time-dog-owner/8377-bite-stops-here.html

Have you considered taking him to a puppy class or an obedience class? They will help you with all your problems (bite-inhibition, chewing, pulling, etc) and more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The crate is an awesome idea. I will defiantly invest in that. And I do have chew toys for him but he likes to chew all kinds of things. But to answer your question, when I remove him from my lap, he just jumps right up and pushes his way into my lap, like he doesn't get the hint. I sort of feel bad since I feel like I'm giving him the idea that I don't love him however when I need to work, I need to work

1 - 6 of 6 Posts