Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to this forum. I am the owner of a 4 year old Labrador Retriever. I have decided to breed her with a reputable breeder in my area who is experienced breeding labrador retrievers (only) since 1983. She was recommended by my veterinarian. She was on day 11 yesterday of her heat cycle, and the breeder did artificial insemination. The stud was very interested in her during the procedure, but my dog was not enjoying his attention. She snapped at him (and she is a very easy going dog), so the breeder said after the first insemination, I should drive over to my vet and get a progesterone test done for further accuracy on whether she is ready. I did, and received the result back today that her number is 10. The vet said that she is ready, so I am going to proceed to have her inseminated tomorrow (day 12) and again on day 14. I am new at this, and was wondering what the number represents and has anyone experienced insemination of fresh semen for their dog and how successful (or not) was it? Should my dog be showing interest in this dog and if she is not "flagging" is she not ready regardless of the number?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Here is an article from a vet who is also a lab breeder. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dogbreeding.html Fresh semen is best to use and I am sure your vet will check for 'swimmers'. Breeders have had very good luck in breeding their animals this way. Especially when both the animals involved live on different coasts. Many horse and cattle breeders have been doing it this way for many years.
good luck and post pics

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Based on the numbers she should be ovulating and it sounds like you have a good breeding schedule. Is this her first breeding? If a bitch has never been bred before they can be unsure of whats going on and may get aggrivated by studs the attention. Out of curiosity, why are you going with AI when it sounds like the male is available for live cover? And is the breeder doing the AI or is it being done by a vet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this her first breeding? If a bitch has never been bred before they can be unsure of whats going on and may get aggrivated by studs the attention. Out of curiosity, why are you going with AI when it sounds like the male is available for live cover? And is the breeder doing the AI or is it being done by a vet?
Yes, this is her first breeding. She is not being very cooperative with the stud. I also had to look at the risk factor of her noncooperation and the possibility that during a natural tie, she could tear something. It was a choice that I felt more comfortable with. The breeder is doing the AI. She has been friends with my veterinarian for years. I feel my dog is in good hands.
Thank you for your response.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts