Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just saw this post on Face Book. I really don't know why these companies are still in business. Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
199 Posts
I was surprised that Solid Gold was a Diamond food - I didn't realize that until this latest recall. Even though Solid Gold wasn't affected, we've already started the switch to Evo.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I had to get chicken food today and I saw the place sold diamond so I looked and they had the types that were recalled may not be the same lots though. The guy asked if I needed some food I said no not diamond brand and he started telling me it was top.of the line locally made etc. I looked at him and asked haven't you seen all the recalls in the past few weeks? He git real upset and said they were a premium company and just a recall here and there isn't a reason not to feed the food. And said they were going to continue promoting the food a silly recall wouldn't bother them.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Going shopping today ... going to pick up a small bag of Wellness Super5 Mix to see if the dogs like it. Going to finish up the lot of 4Health and BB I have. I am curious what will be on the shelves of the chain pet store today .....

To me ... a recall once in a blue moon is not so bad ... but too many recalls too soon .......

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Just to recap:

"WHAT PRODUCTS HAVE BEEN RECALLED?
Diamond Pet Foods has voluntarily recalled several products produced in its Gaston, South Carolina plant between December 9, 2011 and April 7, 2012, because they may have been exposed to Salmonella.

The recalled brands include:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
Country Value
Diamond
Diamond Naturals
Premium Edge
Professional
4Health
Taste of the Wild

HOW DO I TELL IF MY PRODUCT IS AFFECTED?
Please check the production code on your bag. The affected products contain a “2” or “3” in the 9th or 10th position AND an “X” in the 11th position. The best-before dates for the recalled brands listed above are December 9, 2012 through April 7, 2013.The following graphic illustrates how to read the production code and best-before date:"

http://diamondpetrecall.com/diamond-expands-voluntary-recall/

Notice that the Diamond FAQ doesn't mention two brands that Fox News and the Wall Street Journal report have also been recalled:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/05/05/salmonella-in-dog-food-sickens-14-people-in-us/?test=latestnews

http://online.wsj.com/article/APc290bfb0868843dfb5de236ef29e9af5.html

Canidae, Apex

However, in their press release dated 5/4/12, Diamond mentions Kirkland:

The Kirkland Signature products included in the recall include:

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula (December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs (December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)

To determine whether your Kirkland food is recalled:

To determine if their pet food is recalled, consumers should check the production codes on the back of bags must have both a number “3” in the 10th digit and an “X” in the 11th digit. The best-before dates for the recalled brands listed are December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013.
http://diamondpetrecall.com/diamond-expands-voluntary-recall/

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Going shopping today ... going to pick up a small bag of Wellness Super5 Mix to see if the dogs like it.
WellPet LLC announced a voluntary recall of one recipe of Wellness® dry dog food after being notified by Diamond Pet Foods regarding the presence of Salmonella in Diamond's Gaston, South Carolina facility.

All Wellness products are tested for Salmonella and all lots tested negative prior to shipping to customers. The company is voluntarily recalling the select products below. This voluntary recall is being done out of an abundance of caution as these products were produced at the facility that has been linked to recent recalls of Diamond brand foods due to the threat of Salmonella.

The majority of Wellness natural products for pets are produced in WellPet's own modern state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Mishawaka, Indiana. WellPet no longer purchases any products from Diamond Pet Foods.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/04/4467452/wellpet-llc-voluntarily-recalls.html#storylink=cpy

Since at least some Wellness products sold today were purchased from Diamond Pet Foods, they are not ones I am going to switch Aidan to.

Now that Evo is owned by P&G, Aidan won't be eating that either.

I'm going to research making my own dog food. 30 years ago, I did that for my cats, and it was complicated and time-consuming, but I'd rather do that than end up with sick or dead family members, including the people.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Wow ... I am tempted to buy a 2 star food and add vitamin supplements and home cook some meat to add to the food. :(

Thanks for the heads up .........

After going over the link about Wellness very carefully ... I am still going to go for it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Holy smokes so if I understand this correctly some of Wellness stuff is actually produced in the Diamond plant???? Very glad that I am feeding Blackwoods.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Sure, they are worried about people getting sick and dying. Of course, dogs who do not have healthy immune systems are at risk, too. Sick and dead people cost a pet food company a whole lot more money than a dead pet does.

"People who are more likely to get salmonellosis include infants, children younger than 5 years old, organ transplant patients, people with HIV/AIDS, and people receiving treatment for cancer." http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/disea...monellosis.htm

The easiest way for people to guard against this is to wash their hands after feeding or handling their pets.
http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/

Diamond has set up a new website dealing with the recall: http://diamondpetrecall.com/diamond-expands-voluntary-recall/

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is just awful. I recently contacted Taste of the Wild and they sent me 8 sample size bags of their grain free food. I have been giving it to Oliver as a treat to see if this is something we want to put in his rotation. He seems to love it but now I am scared. I looked at the bags and there is no expiration date of any kind on the bags. The only number is either a T11 or an X11 at the very bottom of the bag above the seam. Should I throw these bags out?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well, if it were me I would throw out the samples, but, how long have you had these samples? and are they the ones that are being recalled?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I registered just to say this... Solid Gold has cancelled their partnership with Diamond for the three or so lines of food that Diamond produced for them. Anyone who feeds Solid Gold and was worried should be thankful for this. I'm a huge fan of Solid Gold because I've fed it to all my dogs for awhile now so I feel obliged to spread this news.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Good for Solid Gold. If only the other dog food companies would do the same.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I registered just to say this... Solid Gold has cancelled their partnership with Diamond for the three or so lines of food that Diamond produced for them. Anyone who feeds Solid Gold and was worried should be thankful for this. I'm a huge fan of Solid Gold because I've fed it to all my dogs for awhile now so I feel obliged to spread this news.
Do you have any proof of this?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Where did you hear this?

It'd be great news if it's for real.

I know Canidae is moving out of Diamond into their own facility.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts