Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried posting this in the health board but the website is restricting me from posting there at the moment!

What I know about Arthur: Beagle, born July 15th, he has two bald spots on his back where his hair is re-growing, he DOES have ticks (I found two on him, and he's still scratching).

I purchased Arthur this Memorial Day weekend (Sunday) from someone who wouldn't tell me much about him. He basically said he was healthy and playful and he wanted $100 for him and told me his birthdate... he was so cute I couldn't resist getting him. Upon further inspection I noticed a couple of things...
-He had not only one bald spot, but two.
-I also found one adult tick in-between the toes of his paw and another much smaller tick on his neck. I know he has more because he scratches himself almost constantly.

I have been bathing him with Dawn Dish soap, as I've read to do so online... but he's still itching and clearly uncomfortable, however, he is VERY energetic and playful. I've also been applying vetericyn to the bald spots.

I would have taken him to the vet immediately, however, most offices were closed unless I wanted to pay and arm and a leg in emergency fees. I called my regular veterinary office, where Bentley has gotten all of his work and routine checks done, and scheduled an appointment for today. I do have a budget as far as vet fees go, but we should be able to cover most grounds and at least et a professional opinion.

He hasn't had his puppy shots yet, but if he's healthy enough for them, the vet will go ahead and administer them today. I will post an update as soon as I know anything, but lets hope for the best for baby Arthur!

Does anyone have any input or suggestions on what he MIGHT have?

UPDATE POST VET APPT: Arthur did really well! He was given his first set of puppy shots as well as given a fecal exam. It turns out he has an intestinal parasite called coccidia. He is on antibiotics for two weeks in hopes that it will clear up (it does in most cases). He also may have a skin/hair mite that is causing him to lose his hair-- it isn't likely, but the possibility hasn't been ruled out as of yet. The vet and I determined it would be best to watch him until our follow-up appointment on the 30th and see if there has been any change or not.
Besides that, everything turned out to be 100% normal! I really hope he stays healthy :)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Ticks aren't itchy (well, an individual tick bite might itch but if he had enough ticks to be itchy all over, you'd definitely notice!).Ticks aren't a bug that infest the dog---they crawl on from an outside source, unlike fleas who can live their entire life cycles on the dog. The all-over itchiness is more likely due to fleas or allergies. Or dry skin; if that's the problem, being on a decent food for awhile could clear it up.

As for the bald spots, without any history on the little guy, could be anything. He could have been scratched by the cat or rubbed the fur off under the couch or gotten a haircut by a little kid with scissors, etc.

Hopefully the vet can get him all sorted out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ticks aren't itchy (well, an individual tick bite might itch but if he had enough ticks to be itchy all over, you'd definitely notice!).Ticks aren't a bug that infest the dog---they crawl on from an outside source, unlike fleas who can live their entire life cycles on the dog. The all-over itchiness is more likely due to fleas or allergies. Or dry skin; if that's the problem, being on a decent food for awhile could clear it up.

As for the bald spots, without any history on the little guy, could be anything. He could have been scratched by the cat or rubbed the fur off under the couch or gotten a haircut by a little kid with scissors, etc.

Hopefully the vet can get him all sorted out!
That's good to know about the ticks! He definitely doesn't have fleas. I would have definitely noticed that by now... hopefully it's just dry skin. Could it be possible its due to an abrupt change in diet? I tried getting the previous owner to tell me what he was on and give me some of it so I could transition him to his new puppy food, but he would tell or give me anything. So I put him on Iams puppy food (both of my dogs are on Iams, I've dabbled a bit with the more healthy and organic brands but none of them did too well with my lab's sensitive gut).

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Ginger came here with scabs all over, bald spots and severe itching. Fleas. She is allergic and the bald spots are healed over hot spots where hair hasn't started to grow back. She had a bad flare up this summer in spite of flea pill but never saw a flea or a flea poop on her. All they need to do is land on her and she itches! Her hot spots were on her legs and rear end.

Do put a wet white paper towel under his rear end, give a good scritch and closely examine the debris that lands on the towel. If there is a dark speck that dissolves into a reddish ring that is flea poop. It has to be a bad flea infestation to see fleas on a dog, they only are on the dog when feeding.

Stop washing your dog with dish washing soap and get dog shampoo. Any shampoo kills fleas and you don't need to remove heavy oil. If you leave any soap in the coat then your dog is going to be extremely itchy. Rinse well then rinse again!

Itching isn't nothing, it is horrible. That guy was probably sick of dealing with a scratching dog. I wouldn't be too fussed about a couple ticks, deal with them and get a tick disease test if they were engorged. Hope the bald spots are easily dealt with. Ginger is also allergic to something environmental but we are lucky that Benedryl keeps her feeling fine for the most part along with keeping fleas dead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts