Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all , i have a shitzu he is going to be 14 years old in july , i just turned 25 he been with me half my life , lately i notice my dog is slowing down , hes been falling over and pacing back and fourth , so i took him to the vet 2 weeks ago and they said he got bad arthritis and cataracts and a bowel infection so we got some pain meds moxicam for pain and anal cream , im home by myself this weekend and i noticed the dog was pacing back and fourth for about 2 hours last night , and once he stopped he was in his bed moaning/crying .. so i sat with him and hugged him and started to cry because i didnt know what to do i woke up today and he is seems to be having trouble pooping .. his anus is all red .. not sure what to do as im not sure how to deal with it any suggestions on what to do the vet told me its not a side affects of the meds but didnt really tell me what to do for now .. I love my best friend , i just keep crying because i hate seeing him like this and i cant seem to get to accept that it might be the best to say goodbye sooner rather than later .. i love my dog .. thanks for anybody who is reading ..

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Sorry to hear your dog isn't doing well :(

Have you taken him back to the vet after the most recent bout of pacing and crying in pain? A vet may need to reassess his condition.

Other than that, yes, I believe it is kinder say goodbye sooner rather than later. I think, while it's harder on us as people, it's far easier on a dog to take them in on a good day when they can walk and aren't in pain than on a bad day when they are suffering and have to be carried into the vet's office.

I recently lost my dog soul mate and my heart goes out to you. I wish you the best with whatever you decide is best for your dog.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply , i was told it could also be vescibular disease but we took the dog to the vet twice within the past month they kept saying arthritis ,, i would get him checked but i do not have the funds at the moment as it cost 100$ to get him checked . the pacing happened last night for hours i did call today to see if it was something i should be worried about mind you i was up all night worried . they said it was nothing to be worried about but didnt tell me what it was .. Im not sure how im going to react when its time to put him down i think what "if" there was something we could of did maybe a misdiagnosis .. hoping that is not the cast .. my parents will be home monday night .. will ask them what they think we should do .. i dont think i will be able to handle it to put him down my mother is going to be a disaster when it happens as he sticks to her like glue .. just so worried just love him so much ..

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
A lot of times, Vets can prescribe pain-, or inflamation-reducing meds that help significantly. In addition, small changes in food may help. Ask the Vet about feeding your dog pumpkin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is on some type of antibiotic anal cream and molicam for his arthritis i was on the phone with vet , they think he has anal abscess but since its after hours it will cost 200$ to get him checked ,, so i have to wait till Tuesday .. she said to put him in a warm bath and massage his anus area so i did , than as he was walking out of the door he lost balance and fell down the stairs :( :( i felt so bad and helpless and started to cry and freak out as he fell far down . So i wont be getting any sleep tonight :( work in 4 horus but cant help it i just worry about him now nobody is home till monday .

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I hope this doesn't sound callous, but it sounds to me like this guy is suffering. You pay to get him over one hurdle (sort of over, anyway) and another hurdle appears. You don't have the money to do everything that can be done and feel guilty about it. Discuss it with your vet, ask what she/he would do if he/she owned the dog, etc. But it sounds to me like it's time to consider the hardest decision you can make with a dog.

When my mother was alive we had a pact. She would make the hard decision and take the dog to the vet for me . . . I would do the same for her. It's an awful decision to have to make. Find some support.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The moaning and pacing were from pain and you cannot let that continue but maybe a change in pain medication would help if it's due to arthritis. Talk to the vet. Mine hates to give up on a dog and will discuss treatment plans and print up options with prices.

A hurting gut is awful, maybe once that's gone he won't be in pain. If he is having either constipation or diarrhea then get that taken care of, a small amount of canned or cooked pureed winter squash like pumpkin helps either situation. Ask the vet for other ideas to regulate his bowel if that's what is going on. Once it was so minor as giving an antacid to cure a belly ache for an elderly dog that refused to eat. I know I moan all night if I have a belly ache!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The moaning and pacing were from pain and you cannot let that continue but maybe a change in pain medication would help if it's due to arthritis. Talk to the vet. Mine hates to give up on a dog and will discuss treatment plans and print up options with prices.

A hurting gut is awful, maybe once that's gone he won't be in pain. If he is having either constipation or diarrhea then get that taken care of, a small amount of canned or cooked pureed winter squash like pumpkin helps either situation. Ask the vet for other ideas to regulate his bowel if that's what is going on. Once it was so minor as giving an antacid to cure a belly ache for an elderly dog that refused to eat. I know I moan all night if I have a belly ache!
Hey thanks for response today he was out straining to poop and it seemed like his anus was coming out :( so i panicked and called vet again and said its most likely a bowel infection or constipation .. we got a appointment tomorrow . im so stressed and worried :( my pressure is threw the roof , doc had to prescribe me with blood pressure pills as it was high enough he said im lucky i didnt take a heart attack

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope this doesn't sound callous, but it sounds to me like this guy is suffering. You pay to get him over one hurdle (sort of over, anyway) and another hurdle appears. You don't have the money to do everything that can be done and feel guilty about it. Discuss it with your vet, ask what she/he would do if he/she owned the dog, etc. But it sounds to me like it's time to consider the hardest decision you can make with a dog.

When my mother was alive we had a pact. She would make the hard decision and take the dog to the vet for me . . . I would do the same for her. It's an awful decision to have to make. Find some support.
What hurts me if we ended up putting the dog my best friend down , it would be a mistake perhaps misdiagnosed and than i would feel guilty . .. alot of decisions to make and its going to be the hardest thing i would ever have to do . :( [video]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156990902440602&set=pb.591555601.-2207520000.1464033992.&type=3&theater[/video]

Here is a pic of my dog .

·
Registered
154 Posts
Due to the age of dog i wonder if it could be dementia as well as pain? the pain is distressing enough from arthirtis as well as having sore guts really doesnt help things at all and id take to another vet for a second opinion if i were you. Recently i was comtemplating putting my elderly lab down before i moved to the UK(brother now the owner of him) he wasnt happy and in pain due to arthirtis never mind direha but he got on tramadol which helped alot. Because of how he presented to me i had that horrible feeling id be putting him to sleep but i didnt have to thankfully and he is now happy and healthy with tramadol and some weight gain. he was wasting away so brother upped the food thankfully.

Its never easy making that hard decision but id seriously think about it think of how old he or she is, what he/she would want and im sure your dog will let you know its time but sometimes tehy dont let us know because they hold on for us so we have to make that choice for them. I do hope you can get this dog a second opinion and treatment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya might be a option , we are taking him in tomorrow hes not eating/drinking today refuse to take his meds falling over as he walks .. just so stressed out and worried i love him so much he is going to be 14 in july and hes a shitzu .. perhaps he does have dementia ? i hope he dont got a tumor in his anus . :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to give everybody a update , my dog has terminal cancer in the bowel and is spreaded and nothing they can do the surgery would be 2600 $ to get done but even with it its not worth it as he would most likely not make the surgery .. i am devastated .. love him so much , will have to make the biggest decision i would ever have to make .

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Just to give everybody a update , my dog has terminal cancer in the bowel and is spreaded and nothing they can do the surgery would be 2600 $ to get done but even with it its not worth it as he would most likely not make the surgery .. i am devastated .. love him so much , will have to make the biggest decision i would ever have to make .
So sorry to hear that. Dogs don't live long enough.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
So sorry to hear. Nearly 14 years is a good innings for a dog. By that time one thing or another seems to hit them, and if you can cure one, the second may be worse. Be thankful for they years you've had together. At least, this way, you need feel no guilt over misdiagnosis. Have a good cry . . . and another. As kafkabeetle said, dogs don't live long enough.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. You gave him many wonderful years. I wish you all the best in the upcoming difficult days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the support and to all who commented , he is still with us .. he had a bad day alot of blood around his anus .. which i think is the cancer taking over :( but the past few days hes been doing ok actually pretty good pooping/peeing/drinking but not eating his regular food we give him .. not sure why .. will not make the dog suffer and i think the time comes ill know .. so not to worry people i wont make him suffer ! just so hard to make the biggest decision i ever have to make .. love him so much i had a nice talk with him today eye to eye dont care if he didnt hear me or know what i was saying but i had to do it .. anyways thanks for everything peeps will update how he goes through the journey .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to give a update we are making the biggest decision in my dogs life Friday , we are saying are last goodbyes , he made our life the best for his 13 years on this earth .. i just cant amagine what im going to do without him :( i love him so much , to my best friend my dog snoop .. i will love you forever ill hold you tighter than i ever hugged you tonight and the rest of the days i have you . till we meet again my best friend .. I really dont want to to this to him but i just wish he can find peace and end all the suffering love you snoop (mydog) RIP

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update , we said our last goodbyes to snoop my best friend today :( it seems so unreal i feel scared/upset confused , not sure how to cope with this my best for almost 14 years .. my god im a mess :(

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
RIP and run free Snoop!
That empty, hurt feeling takes time to go away. There's no recipe for grief. Some people find doing volunteer work or good deeds helps. Maybe, when you level out a bit, take on a foster? There's no lack of dogs looking for a friend, even though none will ever replace your first best friend.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
So sorry to hear about Snoop. It sounds like he was cherished and adored. I know it hurt, but you did the right thing for him in his time of need. Give it a few weeks and hold on to the happy memories, the pain will be less sharp . <3

1 - 20 of 25 Posts