Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, for a little background: Approximately once every 2 weeks (we try for every Sunday but it doesn't happen), a friend and I take our dogs out to the country to run on a minimum-maintenance road. All of our dogs are fixed. We also take my friend's sister's (unspayed) Lab with us, as she almost never gets out of her kennel otherwise. She's 6, and had an "oops" litter when she was 2-ish. Fortunately that time the father dog was also a Lab, and they were able to sell the pups without a lot of trouble. Whether they all went to GOOD homes I don't know. And now she's pregnant again :mad: . Pretty far along, I guess, although I haven't seen her for a couple of weeks, and it wasn't obvious at that point. And this time they don't know who the father dog is, because she got loose for a few hours :mad: :mad: .

The worst part is that next Wednesday I'm taking a bunch of stray cats to a low-cost spay/neuter clinic, and I was going to offer to take this dog along. Too late now, I guess. Her owners are iffy about spaying in general, and would never agree to a late-term abortion. I just hope the father dog was a good-looking, healthy dog that makes cute puppies. And I really hope it wasn't a pit bull....no offense, bully lovers, but finding good (non-fighting) homes for half-pit puppies in a college town would be horribly difficult. Unfortunately, they do live in a trailer court with a few pitties as neighbors.....hopefully they're all neutered, female, or properly contained. I guess if I had to choose a breed for the daddy dog I'd pick a Poodle or a Spaniel of some kind. Those would make the cutest (= easiest to place)puppies anyway.

Ugh. It just really burns me that some people are just so irresponsible. Like we need more Lab-mix pups in this world, especially in this area. I want to scream. At least it explains why the (neutered) boy dogs were REALLY interested in her last time we went running.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Ugh. It just really burns me that some people are just so irresponsible. Like we need more Lab-mix pups in this world, especially in this area. I want to scream. At least it explains why the (neutered) boy dogs were REALLY interested in her last time we went running.
I agree. My friends' 1 y/o (poorly bred) chocolate lab just had 10 pups, all because she's a freakin' moron. I told her that she needed to get her fixed way before she went into heat, but she was like "I'm thinking about breading her. She's purebred, so I can make some money off of them." :eek: I then told her that her dog was horribly bred (even though it did come from a breeder.:rolleyes:) I had her convinced to get her spayed, but you know what they did? They tied her up outside over night when she was in HEAT, and there were a bunch of stray dogs out. She broke her chain and ran off for a week, and came back pregnant. SO, instead of getting the vet to do an emergency spay, they waited til 3 weeks before she was due to schedule a spay. :mad: GAH! I volunteer at the shelter, and I KNOW that I'll see at least half of them go through there. aldfjlsdjflasdjfl <-- Anger screaming.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I was in my favorite pet store last weekend, and a woman came in with a pair of lovely pug/pomeranian mixes. They were lovely dogs, and she let it slip that only one was spayed because she was planning to breed the other.

The dogs looked good, but (a) they obviously weren't purebred, so no reputable breeder would sire a litter with them, (b) the reason the one pug was spayed and not the other was because she was already exhibiting a minor genetic disorder (can't remember what it was called), so the sister was probably a carrier of the gene even if she didn't express it, (c) Pugs already tend to have breathing and heat dissipation problems due to undeveloped nasal passages in their short faces, and amateurs should NEVER attempt to breed them on their own.

I didn't say anything because I didn't want to drive her away from the store, but the store owners and I shared a brief look of horror. We started talking about it after she left. Afterwards, we all wished we would have spoken up, but none of us wanted to alienate her. Hopefully, she'll be back in the store and we can act with a bit more tact in the future.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I hear ya! My coworker's sister's lab just had a litter and they have no idea what mix the puppies are. I tried nicely explaining why these accidental litters (and planned non-reputable breeder litters) are bad, but her response was "well someone has to have puppies, or there won't be any puppies for people to buy!" whaaaat?? :confused:

My biggest problem is - how do you nicely educate people on this? I get mad and can't get the words out right and I end up saying "it's horrible because half of those puppies will end up back in the shelter and most of those will end up dead!" Gah!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I was at PetSmart a few weeks ago and there was a beautiful golden retriever who was very, very popular with all the other dogs (including my fixed Cocker spaniel). We went over so my dog could say hello and I got to talking with the owner of the retriever. Turns out the bitch was in heat. Who in their right mind brings a bitch in heat to a freaking PetSmart? Idiots. I wanted to smack him right there but he was bigger than me and his dog was bigger than mine so I thought better of it.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I've come to find that people don't look at dogs like "possessions" or "family members" or even "dogs".

They look at them like trading cards! Am I right, or am I right?

"Hey, I've got this here dog in heat? You've got that there sexy looking Pit? Wanna make'em make puppies and sell'em?"

That's terrible!

·
Registered
823 Posts
My "friend" got a pit and he was going to breed him. He said he had a bunch of people who said they would pay a bunch of money for a pit puppy. I started talking to him about how there are tons of pits and dogs in general in need of homes. I *think* I convinced him to get sweet Ben neutered. I can only hope.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree. My friends' 1 y/o (poorly bred) chocolate lab just had 10 pups.
Yeah, this dog had 10 (raised 10---she birthed 11 or 12 but 1 or 2 didn't make it) last time....Labs ALWAYS have huge litters. I hope she births them OK; she wasn't looking too healthy last time I saw her. Though that might be from the pregnancy, and I just didn't recognize it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well. I hate to say that this really isn't your bussiness just make sure your friend knows what to do.;) As I remember my fifth grade teacher saying "Take care of you and let them take care of them." Take care of YOUR DOGS and let YOUR FRIEND take care of THEIRS.

I agree. My friends' 1 y/o (poorly bred) chocolate lab just had 10 pups, all because she's a freakin' moron. I told her that she needed to get her fixed way before she went into heat, but she was like "I'm thinking about breading her. She's purebred, so I can make some money off of them." :eek: I then told her that her dog was horribly bred (even though it did come from a breeder.:rolleyes:) I had her convinced to get her spayed, but you know what they did? They tied her up outside over night when she was in HEAT, and there were a bunch of stray dogs out. She broke her chain and ran off for a week, and came back pregnant. SO, instead of getting the vet to do an emergency spay, they waited til 3 weeks before she was due to schedule a spay. :mad: GAH! I volunteer at the shelter, and I KNOW that I'll see at least half of them go through there. aldfjlsdjflasdjfl <-- Anger screaming.

When I was little my family bred golden retrievers and bloodhounds and TRUST ME if you breed properly you do not make money, infact you LOOSE money. (BTW we didn't breed a mix OF goldens and bloods we bred both breeds.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Well. I hate to say that this really isn't your bussiness just make sure your friend knows what to do.;) As I remember my fifth grade teacher saying "Take care of you and let them take care of them." Take care of YOUR DOGS and let YOUR FRIEND take care of THEIRS.

I did. She told me today that 5 of them died... which isn't very good 'cause they're little over a week old. BUT, I swallowed my pride and offered her my help if she needed it. She told me that she is DEFINATELY getting her Cassie (the mommy dog) spayed as SOON as it can be done.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, and I suppose that when all the pups end up dead, PTS in a shelter paid for with MY tax money, I should just forget about it, because it's none of my business? Sorry, I don't buy the whole "none of my business" thing.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
:rolleyes: So if no one bothers to help educate people about the perils of byb'ing and just "minds their business" everything will all work out OK? I don't think so...
byb'ers are everyone's business! Until our shelters are empty, until there are no homeless strays out there!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes, lets all just mind our own business and watch the shelters fill up. Lets just turn a deaf ear to all the back yard breeders. All those poorly bred puppies aren't our business anyway!
Sorry, but that is completely untrue. It is every dog lover's business and responsibility to educate people about the importance of spaying/neutering. I'm not really sure how you can think otherwise.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The problem is, there's a difference between educating and berating. And lord knows it takes the patience of a saint sometimes. But in general, it is the right thing to do. Screaming about it accomplishes nothing. I make my goal to make sure any oops litters go on s/n agreements and with appoitnments already booked at the lowcost SN clinic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts