Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my daughter and I were just walking Isis and Bishop when we get bum rushed by a old doxi mix.....and its owner was at least 50 yards away...the thing just charged after us and stopped about 2 ft from us...just barking its head off....full teeth showing and hair on end...WTH!!

I thought maybe it had slipped its leash or collar but no I look back and the woman has nothing in her hands and another little off leash doxi is right with her.............this woman is soooooo lucky my dogs were under control!!!!

I tried to shoo him away with my poop bag but he would not leave...I tried to just ignore him and keep walking but he followed....I was not going to have my walk ruined the rest of the way home so I finally had to stomp my feet , yell, and charge him...which seemed to scare him off...I'm sure that woman thought I was being horrible to her poor little poopsie:rolleyes:

I don't get this person...why would you walk a dog of leash that obviously has issues with other dogs (or any dog for that matter)...she had no control over him and if Isis was DA that little guy would have been toast....I think he would have bit me too had I tried to grab his collar

I really wanted to wait for the owner to catch up so I could blast her..but I had my kid with me and really didn't want to have a confrontation in front of her......I hope I see this woman again walking the neighborhood with her dogs!!!...we will have to have a nice little chat

I know a lot of members on this board deal with this all the time so its not a huge deal...but this is the first time in 5years of walking in my neighborhood that I have had this issue

ok end rant!:)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I know a lot of members on this board deal with this all the time so its not a huge deal...but this is the first time in 5years of walking in my neighborhood that I have had this issue

ok end rant!:)
I usually walk my dog over to them, so their dog will follow, and have a calm word as they grab them.

But I'm big enough to break up a dog fight, and know how to, so I don't tend to get too upset.

Like I say, better not to get upset at fools you can't control. It does no good as it only hurts you, they couldn't care less...

You can;t control everything, but your reaction is always your choice.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I usually walk my dog over to them, so their dog will follow, and have a calm word as they grab them.

But I'm big enough to break up a dog fight, and know how to, so I don't tend to get too upset.

Like I say, better not to get upset at fools you can't control. It does no good as it only hurts you, they couldn't care less...

You can;t control everything, but your reaction is always your choice.
Well your definitely a better person then me because if another dog attacked my dog and I had to break up a fight with my 8 yr old daughter right there I would not even be in the universe of calm :mad:...I mean I know I could clamly break up a fight but I would not be towards the person afterwards

·
Registered
364 Posts
My fiance once told a guy "Hey, just so you know they sell leashes at Wal-Mart."

He was walking Teddy in the parking lot of his sister's apartment and a guy came out with his two out of control dogs that ran around Ted and barked at him and nipped at his heels. Some people..

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My fiance once told a guy "Hey, just so you know they sell leashes at Wal-Mart."

He was walking Teddy in the parking lot of his sister's apartment and a guy came out with his two out of control dogs that ran around Ted and barked at him and nipped at his heels. Some people..
My friend had a similar issue at her apartment complex..she has a very DA APBT so she always has him on 2 leashes and before he went thought tons of obedience training with him she would put a muzzle on him...but she had a neighbor that she ended up having to call AC on because they refused to leash their dog...he would run all over the place....she asked them a few times nicely and pointed out the signs ...they were very rude to her so she had to have AC come out and give them a ticket..she didn't want to cause problems...but she didn't want to take the risk that the dog would start something with her dog.

·
Registered
750 Posts
True she is ignorant...but I'm sure the problem won't be solved till her dog ether messes with the wrong dog or person.
But that won't be of your business.. i was talking about you being stressed over an issue that won't be linked to you anymore... just walk to a different location, that's what i do.

·
Registered
968 Posts
You know, out of all the dogs my dog has ever met he only seems to have a problem with my dad's neighbors two doxies. I mean, who could blame him, i have a problem with them too.

Every time we would go outside they would charge the fence and bark bark bark and my dog always ignored them until one day he was pooping near the fence and here come the dogs barking at him so he barked back at them because they interruped his pooping and ever since that day he's fine even when the dogs are outside but as soon as they come charging the fence, like they always do, he goes and barks right back at them. I try to be diligent and go inside before that happens but they're fast little buggers and sometimes they get to the fence before we can go inside.

The dog on the other side of my dad's house is also a little barker. he's a little terrier of some sort and my dog just ignores him. but it's those two doxies that drive me and my dog bananas.

pugmom, it really bothers me when we run into off leash dogs when we're walking because after they come past us or to us or whatever my dog just stops walking and sits and wont move and it ruins the rest of our walk. :(

If I would have been in your situation i think i would have had a little chat with that lady, but i applaude you for keeping calm. :) Maybe next time if/when you see her again you'll be able to politely explain why it's a good idea to have her dogs ON leash. ;)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Well your definitely a better person then me because if another dog attacked my dog and I had to break up a fight with my 8 yr old daughter right there I would not even be in the universe of calm :mad:...I mean I know I could clamly break up a fight but I would not be towards the person afterwards
LOL, last time I had to do the fight thing I tossed about an 80lb bulldog mix about 20 feet by the skin under it's ears when it jumped my much smaller dog, and gave it a smack it won't soon forget when it came back.

Never saw the owner.

Last dog was a couple weeks ago, bolted out of some guys front door. No fight though my girl isn't aggressive or reactive so I just walked to his yard with his dog following, he was very apologetic though so I just said no problem and walked on.

The only time I was worried was a huge aggressive Rott mix that always broke his chain and got loose, growling at people and tearing up dogs and cats around the neighborhood and trapped me in my own garage one day growling and snarling like he owned my garage and was going to attack me. I don't put up with that from any dog.

I broke the handle on a large rubber mallet that was within reach on his thick skull. Almost knocked him out cold, he hit the ground, bounced back up and ran and never looked me in the eye ever again, nor came in my yard. He ran home whenever he saw me from then on.

The owner's reply when I talked to him? "Just shoot him next time"... What can you say to someone like that?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But that won't be of your business.. i was talking about you being stressed over an issue that won't be linked to you anymore... just walk to a different location, that's what i do.
I hope that is true....but I can't really walk to a different location unless I drive to another neighborhood to walk my dogs...which would kinda suck

·
Registered
87 Posts
It must be the season for the "Off-leash" crowd. I walk my 73# "Pit Bull" and have run into 4 dogs in the last three walks. Lucky for the other dogs, Diesel is not afraid of any dog so he does not react violently (unless the other dog means harm...Diesel will go HOT).

First was an older man with two Dauchsunds...happened two days in a row. The dogs jump off a picnic table one day...and off his tailgate the very next day. The male made a effort to get to Diesel but thought better of it...lol. The female walked up and Diesel and her had a good moment. The maddenning part is the guy acted (the first day) like Diesel and I should not have been at that exact part fo the park or something. I politely let him know that today was his lucky day...many other "bulldog types" are very Dog Aggressive and might have had his "hot dog" for lunch. He smiled and seemed like he might get it. Then the very next day it happens AGAIN! He just says, "Oh, it is you again". This time I let him know that he needs to keep his dogs secure in the future for the safety of his dogs. There is a leash law and it serves a purpose...this is a public park and other people should not have to avoid him and his dogs because he does not act responsibly. He just looks at me with the blankest stare I hve ever seen.

Then a couple with two dogs on leashes, but only holding one, are not apying attention. The smaller black female dog rambles on over and they, still sitting on the picnic table, are telling her to "Come Here". Of course, she just comes right up to Diesel and all is good. If the larger male they had came over the results might have been very different.

The last was a family on the unfenced baseball/softball field in the park. They had a Mastiff that was loose...no leash and not tethered to any pole ect.. I gave them a shout that they need to leash their dog...they yelled back everything is OK as is. I let them know that it is not respectful to owners of other dogs obseving the leash laws to have to keep an eye on a stange dog while walking thier own. Before they could yell anything back, here comes the Mastiff...running at Diesel and I. Diesel is now hitting the end of his leash to meet the dog. Luckily the Mastiff stopped about 15 feet away and seemed to take notice of Diesel. The owners still were not moving toward their dog and were just yelling his name. That was the last straw. I walked toward the Mastiff with Diesel to get to the "man of the family". The Mastiff retreated back to the family...there were about 10 family members there...and then stazrted barking as we approach. Now, the family is telling me to get my pit bull away from thier family becuase he is causing thier Mastiff to get aggressive and bark. I let them know that this whole thing was caused by thier lack of attention and obvious disregard to others. The Father starts to get huffy with me and tells me to F' off. I pull out my cell phone, instead of doing what I really wanted to do, and dial 911. I ask for the park police or SAPD to come to that location and tell them the details. The guy thinks I am bluffing and have not really dialed 911. The Park Police arrive...see the Mastiff still off leash and issue him a ticket.

I hate to do stuff like that but when you own this breed you come to realize that they will always get blamed for anything that occurs and they usually do not get a second chance. i hope the rest of the week is much better.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man DD, I do hope your week gets better.......Our area is usually very good...lots of dogs ...lots of people walking their dogs...under control and on leashes....we have never really run into any other issues....I have seen a total of 3 lose dogs that I guess jumped a fence or ran out the door in 5 whole years....I guess we were due LOL

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Sorry you had to deal with that fool PG,i quoted the above because if an offleash dog caused a big drama/fight with my *leashed* dogs infront of my kid,trust me the after party wouldnt be a nice one;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I had that happen to me for the first time a couple weeks ago...I was walking on the bike path and all of a sudden this little dog just came running up to us as fast as she could. Bentley is not good with dogs that charge him so I told him to down and waited for the owner to catch up to his dog. Well, the owner caught up, totally ignored the dogs and starts asking me if I wanted to buy some maple syrup :confused: I stopped him to ask him to get his dog away from mine and all he did was tell her to go sit (which she did) but then he started rambling again about how his brother makes maple syrup and all this random stuff...whole thing was just creepy. I think he was just a lonely and slightly crazy old man, though.

I've been really lucky like you, Pugmom...I don't usually run into that problem in my area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts