Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

We have a year old Shih tzu who is HORRIBLE around other dogs. He will bite their ears and tail, jump on them constantly, bark for hours straight at them, etc. It is never ending! We have tried everything we can think of and have no clue how to stop it. Puppy training or classes are not an option as we live in a small town where these services are not locally available. Sometimes it is unavoidable to not be around dogs as we have multiple family members with dogs. If the dog just completely ignores our dog, it will stop, but if they run, growl, yawn, anything! our dog will not leave them alone. This has gone on for hours at a time. We have a big outdoor family event this weekend and I am sure we will have lots of dogs around. Please help!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sounds like a young dog that just wants to play, honestly. We have a friend who has a dog that behaves the same way too... We just let the other dogs put him in his place.

If it's too much to handle, don't bring your dog (or put him inside away from the other dogs if it's at your house).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a young dog that just wants to play, honestly. We have a friend who has a dog that behaves the same way too... We just let the other dogs put him in his place.

If it's too much to handle, don't bring your dog (or put him inside away from the other dogs if it's at your house).
Thank you for the reply. We have been backing out of events because of how he interacts with other dogs. People have even asked us not to come if we bring our dog because he will bark for hours. Its just frustrating.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Why not just leave your dog at home when you go to these events? Sounds like that would be less stressful for you, your dog, hosts, and other guests.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just leave your dog at home when you go to these events? Sounds like that would be less stressful for you, your dog, hosts, and other guests.

I do when its only a few hours, but I recently moved to a new city and travel often back to my home town. I cant leave him over the weekend so in those instances, I am forced to bring him around other people and dogs. For instance, my family all went together and purchased a lake home, so I want to spend weekends there but other people are often there with their dogs. It's just so weird because when its just my husband and I or just other people (with no dogs) he does perfectly fine. This is behavior is only when other dogs are around.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Could always just keep the pup on leash during these times. It'll be a pain but at least he wont be able to continue acting like that. Might even learn to calm down around other dogs after awhile. Might bark and act like a nut fighting the leash at first but it might not take long for him to figure out he's not going to get his way and calm down some.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
That's understandable. How about a compromise where you bring him but keep him in a pen in a guest bedroom or something like that? I think there is progress you can make with training, but not when he's thrown into situations with many other dogs. That's like going from level 1 to 100.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Small dog. Just bring him and crate him. He should be riding in a crate in the car anyway (dogs become missiles in accidents).

You could board him in a place with separate kennel runs when you go out of town too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts