·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Armani is growing up! He's now 21 months old

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
So So So Gorgeous!!! :D I LOVE the Borzoi! Your dogs are just fantastic eye candy for sure!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Such a gorgeous breed! Armani is growing into quite the handsome young dog! Post pictures of your dogs anytime, anytime seriously. <3

I gotta meet a Borzoi in the flesh some day. Reading about them, they sound wonderful, but they're so uncommon in this area.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I wish I could have hung out with you more when I was home :(

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Thanks for sharing pretty Borzoi pictures :)

I'm sure I'll get a Borzoi someday. I can still remember when I attended a show and we were standing near the ring where the Borzoi were shown, and one of the owners put the leash of his dog into the hands of my little sister after seeing us watch in amazement. So awesome. Though I must say, I like Armani better than this dog, mostly because of the amount of fur. :p

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for sharing pretty Borzoi pictures :)

I'm sure I'll get a Borzoi someday. I can still remember when I attended a show and we were standing near the ring where the Borzoi were shown, and one of the owners put the leash of his dog into the hands of my little sister after seeing us watch in amazement. So awesome. Though I must say, I like Armani better than this dog, mostly because of the amount of fur. :p

That dog looks about average for an adult male coat. Armani's is thin for a couple reasons: he has not been exposed to a full Wisconsin winter yet (he was 15 months old when he came here from Florida). And, he's young, so that coat still needs time to develop. He has long guard hairs along his back, so I suspect the undercoat will fill in over time.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
How long does it take for the coat to fill out then? He's almost two years old now, so I guess it takes longer than that?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long does it take for the coat to fill out then? He's almost two years old now, so I guess it takes longer than that?
Yup! It's a very slow-to-mature breed, and with Armani being SO large, he's going to mature even more slowly. I expect he will be physically mature at about 5 years old. His coat will be much fuller after this coming winter, because he will be outside as much as possible, to facilitate that (as well as to get exercise). Males tend to carry a lot more coat than bitches, so it does take them longer.

The length on his is getting there, but it needs to thicken. And since we do not feed coat supplements at this time, it will take a little longer.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
What are your dogs favorite thing to do? I always wondered what I would do with a Borzoi since it has long been my dream breed ... since I was like 10 years old. I always wanted a black and white ... but now I am really liking Armani's coloring. What is it called... Sable? (probably wrong! Lol!)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These days, Armani and Henley are great companions. They play constantly. We put them outside as often as we can, so they exercise themselves like crazy. In winter, it helps them grow coat, too!

Armani is a sabled red. He's not a true sable, because a sable has black tips on the individual hairs. He has black hairs mixed in among the red, and so is not a true sable.

The ting is, though, don't get too hung up on color. In this breed, color is one of the least important things, so many breeders can end up with almost any color. Your best bet is to find a breeder who has good temperament, and good health.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
These days, Armani and Henley are great companions. They play constantly. We put them outside as often as we can, so they exercise themselves like crazy. In winter, it helps them grow coat, too!

Armani is a sabled red. He's not a true sable, because a sable has black tips on the individual hairs. He has black hairs mixed in among the red, and so is not a true sable.

The ting is, though, don't get too hung up on color. In this breed, color is one of the least important things, so many breeders can end up with almost any color. Your best bet is to find a breeder who has good temperament, and good health.
Thanks for the info ..... still my dream breed .... you just never know. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts