Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I take Ares to dog park every weekend, because the way he socials with other dogs, is still a puppy's way. I hope he can get more experience and practice, to know how to play with other dogs.

Ares is 100% friendly to people and other dogs, but small breed dogs still get nervous when they saw him.:(

PS:Ares is not a husky, he is an Alaskan malamute:)

I think he needs to lose some weight

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
omg! you have such a beautiful dog! :D i wanna cuddle him and feel his fluffy-ness >w<
Thanks!! I added the video of Ares, many people love cuddling him and touching his coat. They name him as a fur ball,haha!:laugh:

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Fluffyyyy!!!!! He is so handsome!

Loved the video. He did really well at telling the poodle "please stop that, let's just play!"

I will say that small dogs have a right to be a little nervous when it comes to big dogs. If they don't defend themselves, Ares could accidentally hurt them pretty easily. One of those big bear paws accidentally stepping on a chihuahua could do a lot of damage. IMO, small dogs have every right to tell off the big dogs. Aggression is not ok, but I'm fine with a little dog growling and snapping at my dogs to tell them to back off. How else can they protect themselves?

This pic was my favorite. Flyby biting!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Catahoula will seek out malamutes because they can keep up with her! What a beautiful dog you have!!!
OMG, catahoula is really nice and smart!! Ares loves chasing other dogs, but he needs to lose some weight to catch up them, haha~

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Fluffyyyy!!!!! He is so handsome!

Loved the video. He did really well at telling the poodle "please stop that, let's just play!"

I will say that small dogs have a right to be a little nervous when it comes to big dogs. If they don't defend themselves, Ares could accidentally hurt them pretty easily. One of those big bear paws accidentally stepping on a chihuahua could do a lot of damage. IMO, small dogs have every right to tell off the big dogs. Aggression is not ok, but I'm fine with a little dog growling and snapping at my dogs to tell them to back off. How else can they protect themselves?

This pic was my favorite. Flyby biting!
Thanks!! Ares doesn't like to be dominate by riding on him, it's the only limit for him to play with others. I understand that small dogs are nervous and little bit afraid of large dogs. But in this dog park, there are two areas, one is for small dogs, another one is for large dogs. I'm ok that small dogs snap and barking at Ares, but hope them don't try to provoke large dogs. I saw a lot of small dogs did that, that was dangerous.

I don't know why that so many people brought their small dogs, such as chihuahuas, papillons, and toy poodles to large dog area. When large dogs tried to smell their small dogs, these dog owners just push large dogs away...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ares is lovely. I adore malamutes. My aunt had one while I was growing up and he was such a great dog, just a big friendly goof :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh my gosh! In the words of Agnes: "It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!" LOL He doesn't look fat, I figured it was all his fur.
Haha~people like to call Ares a fur ball, which is a funny nick name!!
Now his weight is 90 pounds, due to his shoulder height, his weight should be 80 pounds.
It's a little hard to feel his ribs, so...I think he meight needs to lose some weight LOL

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
He's a big boy. That's a lot of hair. Do you clip him in the summer?
I don't clip the fur on his body in summer, because malamutes' fur can protect them from ultraviolet rays.
And the dogs' sweat glands spread on their paws and tongue.
So I only clip the hair on Ares's feet:)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
He is lovely, he did good telling the poodle to back off, after all that dog was being rude, i love the 2nd photo.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ares is lovely. I adore malamutes. My aunt had one while I was growing up and he was such a great dog, just a big friendly goof :)
I love malamute sooo much...before I bought Ares from a breeder, I did some online research about malamutes, I just love their outlook and personalities lol
Malmamutes are really good family dogs~

1 - 20 of 30 Posts