Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 1/2 month old puppy and I started him out on a high quality kibble and also Core canned food. I have never experienced a finicky dog, they usually eat anything with gusto. Not this terrier, at first he ate with out much problem,but in a short time he turned away and that frustrated the heck out of me.

I added up the cost of feeding him per day and for the Wellness Core it runs about 5 dollars a day. In my area I can by good grades of beef and chicken plus frozen bags of mixed vegetables for that.

I have now started stir frying food for him twice a day. A mixture of beef,chicken,broth,carrots broccali,asparagus,squash,and salmon oil. The dog licks the bowl clean and pushes it across the kitchen floor doing so. He jumps up and litterly begs for his food now.

His stools are firm and now of a good color. He seems in a better mood and with plenty of energy. I enjoy cooking for him and will continue to do so. I do add some Core and Castor and Pollacks to his diet plus some yogurt which he likes from time to time.

Does anybody else cook for their dog? I have read about the BARF diet but I don't care for feeding him raw food. I had him to the vet last week and his blood panel was perfect. Given the high cost of 5 star food, if there isn't a problem with what I'm doing and I have the time to do this,I think I will continue to do so.

Stew meat 2.99 lb
Chicken Breast 2.00 lb
bag of asparagus stir fry vegetables 1.50

For a little over 10.00 dollars I can get about 7 or 8 meals done.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I cook Galaxy's meals weekly, pack them into meal sized portions and freeze them. She has health issues, so a commercial diet doesn't suite her needs. I wouldn't say her meals are cheaper, but she surely does like them a whole lot better than the prescription diet she was on. I'm always concerned about long-term nutritional needs. Since I can't give her basic supplements, I do add ground egg shells (calcium), vitamin C, COQ10 and Omega-3, but that's about all I can add to her chicken and rice besides a few well-cooked veggies and some blueberries. I'm finding the cost is about the same (2 cups a day = $10-$12 per week, plus the cost of supplements). Prep time and utilities are negated by the gas and time to drive to her vet. (if I chose to use Cod, the cost factor goes WAY up.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cook Galaxy's meals weekly, pack them into meal sized portions and freeze them. She has health issues, so a commercial diet doesn't suite her needs. I wouldn't say her meals are cheaper, but she surely does like them a whole lot better than the prescription diet she was on. I'm always concerned about long-term nutritional needs. Since I can't give her basic supplements, I do add ground egg shells (calcium), vitamin C, COQ10 and Omega-3, but that's about all I can add to her chicken and rice besides a few well-cooked veggies and some blueberries. I'm finding the cost is about the same (2 cups a day = $10-$12 per week, plus the cost of supplements). Prep time and utilities are negated by the gas and time to drive to her vet. (if I chose to use Cod, the cost factor goes WAY up.)
Hi,

Does the commercial diet cause health problems for the dog? Also what differences in your dogs well being have you noticed,if any?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hi,

Does the commercial diet cause health problems for the dog? Also what differences in your dogs well being have you noticed,if any?
She is an older dog - 11 yrs. The commercial diet does not cause her issues. She started with Pancreatitis 2 years ago, which is generally treated through a low-low fat diet. Within a year, her kidneys started showing signs of failing. Kidney can also be treated through diet and meds, but, the kidney diet has high fat and the pancreatic diet has high phosphorous. Either one is detrimental to the other. As her kidneys, bp, heart, anemia etc became worse, her pancreas started to get worse as well. I decided to take her off the pancreas diet and worked with a nutritionist to develop a home-cooked diet with supplements that would benefit her kidneys, heart and blood pressure. She is still on bp meds and phosphorous binders.

I'm always concerned about making sure I meet as many of her nutritional needs as I can. It's tough to do with home cooked, though, there is lots of good information out there, (books, websites, etc) Many years ago, dogs ate home cooked, Old Roy kibble, etc and as far as we know, they did well.

With all of that, my bar for well being is set kind of low, by comparison to say, a healthy dog. I have noticed she has a little more energy and loves to eat now. I think she may have even gained a pound. On the flip side, she always had a beautiful shiny coat, which has been looking a little duller these days.

My other dogs are on commercial food (TOTW and I've recently added Fito Vite). They do very well.

I like cooking for Galaxy. I'ma glad I'm doing it. But I also like the ease of opening a good bag of food. : )

How about you? How do you like the results?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

So far the results have been good for both the dog and me. I have gained some piece of mind knowing the dog gets good food that he likes. Also his attitude has gotten better as he is more content and he has stopped itching. So far so good, as I know the quality of food he is getting and that is good for both of us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
^^ Pretty sure milk isn't the best for dogs as in general they are lactose intolerant, though if it's in moderation I assume it's okay.

OP, I cook for my dog all the time. Hell, I even roast chickens and put in veggies etc for her. She's so fussy though, that if I do this for a period of time, she goes off it and and will suddenly maul just a simple tin on dog food in which she previously wouldn't touch. For her, it's just all about variety but similar to you, the dogs I have experienced in the past would just snap your hand for anything and everything.

At 6.5 months I feel you will really start to learn about your dogs' personality and my opinion (certainly not expert) is to nurture that personality and just run with it. Within reason, give your dog what they enjoy (and not just with food). You'll end up with a dog spoilt as hell, but they'll love you for it and imo that's the whole idea isn't it?

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just finished his morning meal,added some joint health and salmon oil and he polished the bowl clean. I also purchased some pet-tabs vitamins recently and he likes them too. There seems to be plenty of good supplements out there to add to his diet. well see if he get's tired of this regimen,but so far so good.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Two out of three of Sasha's meals each day are homemade now. Hubby comes at home to give her lunch and for now that is kibble. Her homemade meals are venison with a bit of oatmeal or barley and veggies plus a tablespoon of olive oil because the meat is so lean. Her kibble is a venison kibble, Natural Balance. We suspect an allergy to fish and chicken or maybe something else in prepared kibble. After a month on venison and trying some other things that the vet may recommend we'll reassess if she'll stay on a homemade diet or not. Her meat is previously-frozen raw, I don't bother cooking it anymore, but I don't have bones to offer her. She may need a supplement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Two out of three of Sasha's meals each day are homemade now. Hubby comes at home to give her lunch and for now that is kibble. Her homemade meals are venison with a bit of oatmeal or barley and veggies plus a tablespoon of olive oil because the meat is so lean. Her kibble is a venison kibble, Natural Balance. We suspect an allergy to fish and chicken or maybe something else in prepared kibble. After a month on venison and trying some other things that the vet may recommend we'll reassess if she'll stay on a homemade diet or not. Her meat is previously-frozen raw, I don't bother cooking it anymore, but I don't have bones to offer her. She may need a supplement.
I never have expierenced dog allergies before, or there effects. Once was enough for me, as to see the dog break out and have hot spots was too much to handle not to mention a shocking vet bill. As I said the dog hasn't itched for 2 weeks and is happy and healthier.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes, Sasha has itched from the day after we brought her home from the farm. There she ate raw beef livers and raw, wild venison. I hope that this change back to homemade meals will help her. I had no intentions of cooking for a dog or of feeding raw meat, but we do what we need to do for our critters, right? Good luck with your dog, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts