Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I'm just noticing things like: dog nosing in around in something- leave it. Dog starts to focus on something on a walk- leave it. Dog starts to pick something up he shouldn't have- leave it. Things like that. Things we used to tell a dog no for. It just hit me that alot of what I personally used the word no for has somehow changed to leave it.
I've probably said it before and I'll say it again ... IF you find that you're using the word "no" or "leave it" frequently, as it seems, perhaps it is time to consider management techniques as a partial solution for unwanted behaviour. Establishing desirable default behaviours and building a strong reinforcement history will help as well.

I often see this at the training hall. Students are taught the leave it cue, and they gleefully discover the power it can initially wield and how handy it can be. However, unfortunately as a result, it soon becomes over-used and insignificant to the dog, going in one ear and out the other. Strangely enough, leading to even more use. Sometimes it's like a steady symphony of "leave it! .. no! .. leave it! .. here! ..no! ..leave it! .. no!", and yet the dog just carries on doing whatever it's doing.

IMPO, similar to the use of NRM-type cues, in order to retain effectiveness leave it should be applied sparingly if at all.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts