Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
'No' has become my emergency word in some situations, it gives me time to think of the next command which then tells the dog what I would like him to do instead. I find it effective to freeze a dog who is starting an unwanted behaviour. For instance, I am about to whip the cover off the sofa to wash it and a dog decides he is going to jump onto the sofa at the same time. I say no, dog stops and looks at me questioningly and I then ask him to go and lie somewhere else. I know it is often a misused word but I like the fact my dogs know they need to look to me for instructions when they hear it in situations which are unusual and not trained for. A word that stops the dog in his tracks does not tell him what he should be doing instead but can be very useful all the same.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think I understand but for me, as Patricia says, the word no is purely an interruptor when I do not have a cue for the circumstances, to be swiftly followed by a redirecting command. I am afraid as a pet owner I feel free to use whatever words I chose providing I am totally consistent in the way I use them. One of my bitches will occasionally blow a command when she thinks she has something better to do. I admit I tend to growl at her, probably quite frowned upon in competitive circles but very effective for us!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts