Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at night she (3 month shihtzu) is in our bedroom in her crate with a sheet covering her entire crate. It's helped her calm down at night but she does wake up during the night and is a bundle of energy. During the day we keep the crate covered in the living room but do not cover the front, turn the lights off and put the classical music on. My coworker said that we shouldn't leave the sheet on during the day and the lights off...no wonder she sleeps all day and is full of energy all night. Her being left alone daily when we go to work has gotten better...no crying no barking. I spoke to my trainer and she said...well everyone has an opinion and don't change something if it's working. The sheet creates a den for her she said. I also think with no sheet, she could see through the side and up obviously so she used to get anxious to try to get out. Maybe that was intially..we've only had her for a bit over a week but she is settling down. Just need to figure out the night time stuff with her. My trainer said she should be able to sleep through the night. As much as we tire her out in the evening and we really do, she is still a super cute bundle of energy about 1 hour after we put all of us to bed. Just looking for feedback. thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't think the sheet is confusing her. We have sheets on both of our dogs kennels. So if it works for your dog, I wouldn't change it.

As for the bundle of energy at night, how long is she in the kennel while you are at work? If you are at work all day, then she is most likely sleeping while she is in the kennel. Sleeping all day, will make her less tired at night. Just like people. If you slept all day, you wouldn't be tired at "bedtime" either. There are a few things you can do about this. Ignore it at night and she will eventually go to sleep, or put her in doggie daycare during the day while you are at work so she can get her energy out. Puppies are full of energy and need some way to release it. Or you can tire her out right before bedtime. Take her for a walk, or just play with her until she is tired out and wants to sleep.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We leave our puppy when we work during the day, and he pretty much sleeps all day as far as we can tell (if we're home he still generally sleeps during the hours we'd be at work). When I get home in the afternoon, I try to make sure he gets LOTS of exercise so he's tired out again by bedtime. Works fine for us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts