Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Mandie has a bad habit of barking at people walking by and since we live on a main walkway it was becoming kind of a headache. Today I started putting her in her crate when she barks. I only let her out when she's quiet. Not sure if there's anything else we should do, so any suggestions would be nice.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The crate should never be a punishment.
What I would do:
Take her out during a high traffic time. Have her on a leash and have treats ready. When she starts barking, make a noise or whatever you need to do to get her attention. Count to two and reward. Gradually, count higher and higher as she gets better thus conditioning her to want to shut up. Don't expect it to get better over night.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We tried taking her another room and getting her to sit and using treats, but it's like when she goes on a walk and sees another dog, she wants nothing to do with treats.

After a couple of times in the crate, she's letting people walk by without barking. I wasn't crazy about using the crate for punishment but we don't use it for anything else. Actually the last time she barked I gave her a look and she got up and went to the crate.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Get as far away from the trafficked area as possible.
If the crate thing is working for you, have at it. However, my position is unchanged.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It could work if, instead of using the crate as punishment, you train her to go to her crate when she sees someone walk past.....training alternate/incompatible behaviors is effective in many cases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts