Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Are vaccines available??

779 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  DaySleepers 
#1 ·
It is time for the next round of vaccines. She has had parvo, distemper and lyme. The breeder felt that parainfluenze and hepatitis were too dangerous for Toller puppies, as they are subject to autoimmune diseases; they were okay once she was older.

The vet wants to give all four now. She says there is no evidence that they are related to autoimmune, and while Tollers do have more autoimmune disease, it is not that much more.

The breeder says fine, give parvo and distemper now, and the other two later. She says the important thing now is to not give too many at once. Vet says that is nonsense.

The breeder will give us parvo/distemper, but I am unable to find just hepatitis or parainfluenza. Where would it be available? The vet is willing to give what we provide, but says they don't have access to just hepatitis or parainfluenza as there is no reason to have it.

#3 ·
My vets don't give all shots at once -- they do one each year, so the specific shots end up three years apart. It's unlikely that your dog will have a reaction, but if it does, it's nice to know which vaccine caused it.

You could ask the vet to do the shots a week or two apart... it's not a big deal. It doesn't require a full appointment. I've done that when I had to get rabies along with something else, and my vet was more than happy to accommodate.

#4 ·
Even if you do find them, vaccines are typically sold in multi-dose packs, so you'd have to buy 25 or 50, or however many there are, and possibly pay several hundred dollars to get the one or two you'd need.

#5 ·
I'd go with what your vet recommends. Ask if the dog might need to stay overnight to be monitored for adverse reactions and, ask what to watch for at home over the coming week or so. Sure bad reactions to vaccines happen but, not that often and, those reactions can be treated a lot easier than the diseases can be treated. Get the dog vaccinated.

#6 ·
I also want to point out that if your dog has a reaction to the vaccines, or gets ill despite being vaccinated, the vaccine companies will often cover costs IF you get the vaccines through a vet. Vaccines that come from a non-veterinary professional (your breeder), even if they were administered by the vet, would not carry the same guarantee because there's no proof that the vaccines were stored or transported properly.

Personally, I'd go with the vet on this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.