Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Companies like Royal canin,hills, increase their prices!:mad:
It is ridiculous to pay for a 4kg bag of Royal canin 25-26euros!!!A food that is mostly corn,soy,wheat,rice! Hills the same.(for cats & dogs)
Their breed diets are also more expensive and in smaller bags(2,5kg).
Eukanuba the same. 2,5kg/20euros! There is an economic crises people!
I m really angry with that!
I started thinking spending the same money on raw. Chicken wings,chicken feet(?),lamb,beef,whole chickens and buy a cheaper dog food just in case.
At least my money will be spended on fresh food and my dog will be more healthy!
I hope in the summer i will be able to dump dry foods and feed exclusively RAW.
BUT,i have to study first ,a lot...:D

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
In the US, they recently banned using downer cows (cattle that show up at slaughter already ill or crippled) for any food product, even pet food. So the price of cheaper pet food (those that rely heavily on meat and bone meal) has increased a bit. About $3-$5 dollars for a big bag, I've noticed. I don't now if it's the same where you live.

The raw diet sounds like a good idea, though!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Companies like Royal canin,hills, increase their prices!:mad:
It is ridiculous to pay for a 4kg bag of Royal canin 25-26euros!!!A food that is mostly corn,soy,wheat,rice! Hills the same.(for cats & dogs)
Their breed diets are also more expensive and in smaller bags(2,5kg).
Eukanuba the same. 2,5kg/20euros! There is an economic crises people!
I m really angry with that!
I started thinking spending the same money on raw. Chicken wings,chicken feet(?),lamb,beef,whole chickens and buy a cheaper dog food just in case.
At least my money will be spended on fresh food and my dog will be more healthy!
I hope in the summer i will be able to dump dry foods and feed exclusively RAW.
BUT,i have to study first ,a lot...:D

I totally agree with you! The food is crap so I guess crap is getting more expensive? So many clients at the clinic where i work are complaining about the prices. Royal Canin's Urinary SO has gone up a lot in just the past few months! I think most of their money is spent on marketing bulls***. Hill's just sent us a brochure about busting some of the myths about pet food. One myth was about how by-products are better than the actual product, if you will. It said that by=products are vitamin E, organs, muscle meat etc. Well, if these by-products are so good for our pets, then why not just specify what is in them? Another myth they tried to dispell was that corn was one of the highest digestible proteins available. So why does it come out the same way it went in? :) I'm sure that corn isn't the worst but their foods contain mostly corn and little meat - ok, some meat by-products but little actual meat. When I ask some of the vets about the ingredients, they just say the food is good, why do you question it? No, the question is, why DON'T YOU question it?

I spend a lot on pet food which I sometimes feel guilty for because I'm not rich but I feel better that I;m feeding my pets, at the very least, better quality food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts