Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
All I'm hearing is ME ME ME ME ME ME ME, and you are telling others their mindset is a problem for the USA?

"Don't maim people unnecessarily" isn't political correctness, nor is "don't recklessly use a living creature as a weapon." It's basic decency.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
"Are they going to put my dog to sleep? Maybe I need to move/hide him..." Is pretty clearly an indication to me that you maybe, just maybe, know there is something wrong with this chain of events.

That the answer was 'not this time because X, Y, or Z' SO FAR, does not really change that knee jerk, gut level, awareness.

Or the reality of it.

All you're doing now is rationalizing and justifying and starwmen.

You know DANGED well that it wasn't a good situation and that you risked your dog's *life* for... nothing.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
What my dog did is no different if you and your dog were out and upon arriving home some stranger was in your house. I hope your dog would have enough drive to do the same thing
I certainly hope she would not. I would not want her life in jeopardy. Alerting -me- that something was amiss, sure, but not taking it into her own hands to attack and injure someone without provocation.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The hell with that. I bought that property. I pay taxes on it. I pay for the upkeep. But you're saying that I should just ignore it, because there may be disrespectful kids or an old man with dementia inside. The hell with that. It's mine, I own it, and if you choose to enter do so at your own risk. Your mind set is what's wrong with America now. It's like I tell my son, you can do stupid things if you want but be prepared to deal with the consequences.
The right thing for people to do is don't bother things that don't belong to you. Just look at this situation. A person broke into my house. It doesn't matter if I live there or burn it to the ground. It's mine. I'm not going to try to be politically correct. If the guy or whomever might have been inside got hurt it's on them. They shouldn't have been there in the first place. You PC people amaze me.
Yeah. People like you are the reason that I'm okay with stricter gun control policies. Because you should not own a firearm.

Shame on you for putting MY rights at risk because of your poor decision making process. And shame on you for putting your dog at risk unnecessarily.

And before you accuse me of being PC, I'm not. At all. I'm just a mature adult who values human life and who understands the privileges that come with owning and carrying a deadly weapon.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
But you're saying that I should just ignore it, because there may be disrespectful kids or an old man with dementia inside.
Nobody told you to just ignore potential trespassers on your property. But there are a world of options on how to handle it before you get to the 'arm yourself with a gun and go in there' method.

·
Super Moderator
12,186 Posts
I once turned a large, protective dog loose on a group of 4-5 older teens who were attacking my then pre-teen son about a block away. I knew he could get there a lot faster than I could, and he did. He never touched them, but chased them a half-block and pinned them up against a high chain-link fence. It gave me time to catch up and have a discussion. I didn't give a lot of thought about what would happen if the dog actually attacked them. (In hindsight, that risk was minimal. He was a lab. A very large lab, but a lab none-the-less.) My only thought was that a family member was in imminent danger.

The whole concept of family-dog-as-weapon is situational and I don't see it as a matter of political correctness.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
If someone were attacking my FAMILY, much less my kids, I'd turn the dog loose too and be okay with the repercussions. Even if it landed up with a bitten person and dead dog. It's mostly bout, I think, what you consider worth protecting/risking your dog's life *for*.

No clue what this has to do with political correctness.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
No clue what this has to do with political correctness.
From OP:

The right thing for people to do is don't bother things that don't belong to you. Just look at this situation. A person broke into my house. It doesn't matter if I live there or burn it to the ground. It's mine. I'm not going to try to be politically correct. If the guy or whomever might have been inside got hurt it's on them. They shouldn't have been there in the first place. You PC people amaze me.
Apparently advocating for not forcing a confrontation with an unknown home intruder armed with a dog and a gun is "politically correct"?

I have a different term for 'politically correct' here - it's 'the best way to stay out of jail and not be sued'.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Yea, someone actually in the process of being attacked or in imminent danger is a whole different situation.

I mean, what, worst case scenario here they might have been stealing something or damaging the property? Presumably you have insurance for that.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Yeah, my point was mostly this person's clueless about what 'politically correct' is. Then again any time someone starts screaming about politically correct I substitute 'treat people with respect'. Because that's usually what the person complaining about being expected to do it is actually complaining about.

Not relevant here, either wy.

No, I expect you to call the police and stop making your dog for you apparently lacking any common sense what so ever.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Yea, someone actually in the process of being attacked or in imminent danger is a whole different situation.

I mean, what, worst case scenario here they might have been stealing something or damaging the property? Presumably you have insurance for that.
And if you had time to go home and get a gun and the dog all the time necessary to call the police.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
The hell with that. I bought that property. I pay taxes on it. I pay for the upkeep. But you're saying that I should just ignore it, because there may be disrespectful kids or an old man with dementia inside. The hell with that. It's mine, I own it, and if you choose to enter do so at your own risk. Your mind set is what's wrong with America now. It's like I tell my son, you can do stupid things if you want but be prepared to deal with the consequences.
I think you may be overestimating property ownership rights.... burning down buildings doesn't usually go over very well.

In many places, simple trespass (as a misdemeanor) isn't enough to rise to the level of use of force or allowing a dog to bite. Burglary requires an intent to commit a crime (in some areas, it must be intent to commit a felony).

For example, you have a fenced yard with a no trespassing sign. An adult jumps the fence, tries to enter your house and your dog bites him. The vast majority of locations consider this a legal bite and the adult is going to have a tough time building a case against you. Same yard. A 10 year old jumps the fence and your dog bites him. In many areas, this is NOT a legal bite because courts have held that a kid doesn't have the understanding of the concept of trespassing in the same way and/or that simple trespass alone (no further intent to commit a crime) isn't enough.

For the last time I didn't send him after someone. It's not a strange house to him. He had been there with me for 2 weeks cleaning the house up after the last tenants moved. I had no idea anyone was in the house, but I did want to sneak up just in case. My dog did his job. Some of you are acting as if I sicked the dog on the man.
What my dog did is no different if you and your dog were out and upon arriving home some stranger was in your house. I hope your dog would have enough drive to do the same thing
As for entering a building that is potentially occupied by an intruder who may be armed; it takes training to SAFELY and effectively search and clear a building. Unknown weapons, unknown motive of the person inside who might be lying in wait, might be armed with a knife (21 foot rule...) or gun, who might be using drugs etc. If using a dog to assist in a building search, the dog and handler both need training.
Doing it safely isn't just walking into a building holding a gun and letting a dog loose.

If I came home with my dogs and there appeared to have been a break-in at my house with the possibility of the person still inside, I would keep my dogs in the car and park a few houses away. Idle the car, call the police and explain the situation. Then take my camera out and be ready to record anyone leaving my house.

I'd rather file a claim with my insurance for theft and property damage than to have a claim filed against my liability insurance if my dogs hurt someone (aside of course from the more important factor -- risk to them)

·
Registered
225 Posts
A few years ago I attended a PetSmart dog training session and the instructor kept strongly suggesting that we add our dogs to our homeowners policy. When I called to add our pup to the homeowners, I was told it was at no additional cost. The representative from the carrier told me that if I didn't add the dog to the policy, I would not have been covered for damage done by the dog and it's something that many people do not take advantage of.

Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yeah, last I checked burning down your own home is still misdemeanor or potentially felonious arson. :p
Well. . .:p. . .it's a common way to get rid of an unwanted building on a farm/rural property. Of course you have to call the fire department first, so they don't rush out if someone calls it in. And filing an insurance claim would be fraud. And doing it in town would definitely be illegal for reason of endangering other properties, and since the OP said the neighbor saw someone on the property I think we can assume the house is in a populated area. But if we're just arguing legalities. . .it's situational.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Well. . .:p. . .it's a common way to get rid of an unwanted building on a farm/rural property. Of course you have to call the fire department first, so they don't rush out if someone calls it in. And filing an insurance claim would be fraud. And doing it in town would definitely be illegal for reason of endangering other properties, and since the OP said the neighbor saw someone on the property I think we can assume the house is in a populated area. But if we're just arguing legalities. . .it's situational.
Even then in most areas of the country you need to be issued a burn permit and observe the weather conditions/burn warnings at a given time. Yeah, it's commonly done but much like building on your own property, it still requires government involvement to be legal.

not even talking all the more urban things like housing associations or being in town where where you park, what you grow, how tall your grass is, etc. is regulated.

OWNING something doesn't mean 'I can do what I want with it'.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about it. I am glad you took your dog with you to flush out the trespasser(s)/criminal(s). Who knows what would have happened if your dog wasn't there. You could have walked into an area and didn't even notice the guy and he could have over took you or worst. There were times when I would walk my dog at night and not even notice certain things that my dog noticed. I agree with most that the cops should have been your first action in this situation, however, you have the right to do as you chose. I think most people here are assuming what took place. I read your post but can't say if your dog was provoked or not. He probably chased the guy but what happened after that. As far as the fire arm that again is your right. You have the right to protect yourself when necessary. The main point is that this is your property (owner occupied or not) and you have the right to do as you see fit.

41 - 60 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.