Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . do this?

I'm trying to figure out what is going on here. It is common in Tibetan Spaniels, but it is not just normal face greying. It seems to be in the urajiro pattern.

This boy, as a youngster in the top photo, has a very strong black mask. I believe he might be wolf sable a'w'/a'w', but can't be sure. As he ages it becomes obliterated by the effect that causes lightening from the underside up.

I've not seen comparative photos of other strongly masked breeds doing this, so I'm curious if anyone knows of any examples.

SOB

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I know Golden Retrievers develop a white mask with age.

My GSDxGR had a black muzzle that started turning grey on the chin around age 5. By the time he died at 13, his entire muzzle had turned grey, as had his eyelashes.

·
Registered
591 Posts
my yorkiepoo's face is graying also with age, not sure how old he is, i was told 5 years old when i rescued him from the pound a year ago but my vet says more like 7 to 10 years old.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I know of a lot of dogs with masks that do this.. off the top of my head Fawn Great Danes and Pugs...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Siberian Husky masks fade and change over time and some come back and even completely change. I haven't seen very many dark muzzled/dirty faced siberians from puppy to adulthood but I have seen a couple that at ~2 weeks had very black muzzles/faces and by a year old the black had gone to browns/creams.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Fawn Pugs will grey in that same pattern, starting at the Muzzle and eventually the whole mask will end up Grey, as will nearly any Mastiff with a strong black mask.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts