Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody, I've had my dog since she was just a tiny puppy, shes almost 2 now. I've always wondered what she is, the shelter she came from just called her labX but we recently had a DNA test done on her and found out that she is catahoula lab mix. I'd never heard of the dog before and am very interested with other peoples experiences with the breed, its a fairly rare breed i guess i hope to hear from somebody. I've done some research and everything I've learned about the breed is my MaeBee, she can climb any fence (and got kicked out of camp bow wow because of it) she is VERY energetic(her only real behavioral issue is her hyperactivity but that is easily remedied with lots of exercise) shes a great swimmer, and loves to chase rabbits. she is the most amazing dog and just the light of my world. I've never been so loved or protected. (and i do believe she would give her life to protect me) we have an incredible bond and i'd love to hear from other catahoula lovers.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Well as far as love, you're preaching to the choir.

My girl was free. I was told she was an aussieXGSD. But it's painfully obvious that she's a catahoula mix. The breed isn't actually rare, they're just regional. They are all over the southern states. One owner I met drove to New Mexico to get his houla. I'll probabaly do the same in the future if I can't find the right one here in my state.

Kaki has jumped out of a three story window. Twice. She did hundreds of dollars in damage to my bedroom when I was dumb enough to not meet her exercise needs. She will run down ANY critter(beaver, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, coyotes, cats, anything).
BUT she is amazing. She runs 16 miles roundtrip to go to work with me. She has protected our "family". Tracking was a breeze and she absolutely ate it up. I really only use it to impress people though. Next on our to do list is agility.

I could go om and on. There really are no words to express how I feel about this dog. I always want to have at least one houla in my life even when I start owning other breeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know shes very southern i adopted on a trip through louisiana.. i learned quickly too that she will destroy the whole house if she hasnt had her daily exercise. i hired a dog walker to walk her for an hour while i work and its helped alot. she is in a bunch of classes, she just finished her obedience class and she is now in agility and loves it. she also has weekly swimming classes (its a great low impact exercise and she goes everytime i take her to daycare) i lived in an appartment before and she pretty much destroyed it, she ripped all the carpet out of my livingroom and ate the padding underneath, somehow i managed not to kill her and i'm thankful for it. lol i'v always loved dogs and all animals but our bond is something i've never felt before. its a great confidence booster to have someone in your life that absolutley worships you, shes made me her world and made herself mine. my bf doesnt understand it, i cried when she graduated obedience levels (which was 7 months of classes) with a most improved sticker. lol thanks so much for your reply

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a Catahoula (possible mix) as well. We adopted her a year ago at 4 months old. I'm lucky in that she hasn't been too bad at all as far as hyperness and she hasn't destroyed a single thing. Well except for some concert tix that blew off the table onto the floor. She's been introduced to agility and I think will take to it really well. She is by far the smartest dog that we have had. As well as much more affectionate than the Boxers that we had.

Can I ask which DNA test you used? I was going to get one done but the ones I looked at didn't list Catahoula as a breed that came up on their tests. I think she is mixed with some small or medium terrier as she is 38-40 lbs. and has smallish ears.

What color is your girl? Mine is a merle with blue eyes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts