Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is about 4 months old now. He's learned that if he has to goto the bathroom all he has to do is ask at the door and he's let out. He knows that when he comes back inside he will get a treat. He learned this in about a month.

The other night we decided to take him out of his crate at night, and just let him sleep in our bedroom on his bed. He seemed so uncomfortable in his crate, always banging and crashing about inside it. He has been out two nights so far, and has not peed once on the floor. Even when we don't get up until 6am to let him out. Even when I get up to goto the bathroom in the middle of the night, he doesn't wake up.

Only thing I don't get, is why twice in the middle of the night he woke up retching.

He knows what be nice means, and he also knows what the word no means. When my husband goes out for a smoke, the dog goes with him and instead of him going on our deck, my husband says, "keep going" and the dog will look back at him and after a couple times saying this he will do his business on the grass instead.

I thought we were going to go around the bend and then some getting him trained, but he seems to have caught on quite quickly. Is it breed based? Dog based? Training based? Or just luck of the draw that he's caught on so well.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Dogs are just like people...they learn in different ways at different rates.

When you say retching, do you mean heaving like he needs to vomit? I wouldn't recommend leaving him out of the crate while you're sleeping. Just because he isn't having potty accidents doesn't mean that he couldn't swallow something or get into something he shouldn't. Many dogs are really easy to get along with as puppies then hit a defiant streak as they mature, so watch out for the switch to flip and the "terrible teens" to hit around the 6 month mark.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have everything picked up off the floor, including any clothing. It's just him and his bed and maybe a few toys. None of them are small enough he could choke on them.

The first time he threw up was in his crate the morning of Dec 25. He didn't have much in his belly so it was just mostly spit? (it was clear anyways) he did heave a few times, and my hubby managed to get him outside.

The second time was the first time we had him out of his crate, which was two nights ago. He woke us up in the middle of the night heaving. He didn't end up throwing up though.

We sleep with our bedroom door closed so he can't get out and get into anything in the middle of the night. So I don't know what he would have been throwing up. At first I thought we had a sick puppy on our hands, but the next day other then him being a bit sleepy he was fine.

We have been taking him out to my parents farm, they have a 1.5 year old husky/blue healer cross. She is a very happy dog and they love to play with each other. We don't have much snow this year, so maybe he's eating grass? Perhaps a hairball? Or is that just cats? My hubby said the one night before we went to bed he ate some grass in our yard.

I don't think it's anything from the farm, as he didn't do it at any time after we'd gone there.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Dogs eat grass to help settle an upset tummy. I'd also be careful about where you take him until he's fully vaccinated. A farm is a good place for puppies to pick up bacteria, worms, etc. If you haven't already, I'd get an appointment set up with your vet to get him checked out. Things like parvo can be extremely deadly if they're not caught early.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
What time does he get his dinner? Sometimes hunger can lead to retching because it brings up bile. Consider giving a small bed-time snack to alleviate this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's actually another question I had about the feeding. For a while we were feeding him kibbles and bits, and he was gassy. We went to Pet Smart and got him a natural dog food for large breed puppies, but the gassyness seems to continue. I did get him a more natural dog treat, perhaps it's the treats? Any recommendations on those?

We feed him 3 scoops of dog food in the morning now, was two but he would go over to the pantry door a lot during the day where we keep the food or dig at his dish for more later on. In the evening usually when I am making supper he gets two scoops. Each scoop is about a cup each. So he's probably fed around 8am ish and then again around 5pm ish.

I had not thought about him getting sick around the farm. We haven't taken him for his first vet visit yet. We are planning on doing that very soon. I have been looking in to the best vet in town, based on peoples opinions and then going from there. We do plan on taking him though. I was worried about him eating the deer bones that my sisters father in law brought to the farm for my parents dog. I wondered if he'd get worms from those.

When we are there he does eat the dog food my parents get, it's a higher quality food, so wasn't worried it would hurt him. Maybe it's the slight change now and then?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
That's actually another question I had about the feeding. For a while we were feeding him kibbles and bits, and he was gassy. We went to Pet Smart and got him a natural dog food for large breed puppies, but the gassyness seems to continue. I did get him a more natural dog treat, perhaps it's the treats? Any recommendations on those?

We feed him 3 scoops of dog food in the morning now, was two but he would go over to the pantry door a lot during the day where we keep the food or dig at his dish for more later on. In the evening usually when I am making supper he gets two scoops. Each scoop is about a cup each. So he's probably fed around 8am ish and then again around 5pm ish.

I had not thought about him getting sick around the farm. We haven't taken him for his first vet visit yet. We are planning on doing that very soon. I have been looking in to the best vet in town, based on peoples opinions and then going from there. We do plan on taking him though. I was worried about him eating the deer bones that my sisters father in law brought to the farm for my parents dog. I wondered if he'd get worms from those.

When we are there he does eat the dog food my parents get, it's a higher quality food, so wasn't worried it would hurt him. Maybe it's the slight change now and then?
What kind of a dog is he? You seem to be feeding him -a lot ( 5 cups of food a day is way too much IMO of a high quality food especially for a 4 month old puppy). What food did you switch him to and did you do it over a period of time? Also, him getting into the other dog food without any transition (if it's not the same kind of dog food you're feeding) will give him gas/diarrhea.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He had the gas before he ate my parents dogs food. They get theirs from Pet Land.

He's a Shepherd/shar-pei cross. The food we feed him at home is called Natural Choice, from Nutro.

He was only getting the 4 small cups of food at first. Two in morning, two at night. When he started avidly looking for more we started giving him the 3 in the morning. He was eating less when he was eating the Kibbles and Bits.

He's at least 4 times larger then when we first brought him home. He is growing fast and from how big he is already I am pretty sure he's going to be a very large dog.

We didn't transition him really from the old to the new food. At best we gave the last bit in the kibbles and bits with his new food because there was not enough there. But as I said, he's had the gas since shortly after we got him.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Not all dogs learn the same way or at the same pace. My boy picks up on things right away but my neighbor's dog takes tons of time to learn thing!

How much in cups is each scoop? It does seem like he's eating an awful lot. My Great Dane didn't eat that much as a puppy of the same age. I would also break his feedings down into 3 meals a day rather than 2 at least until he's about 6 months old.
Also, I agree with this. I wouldn't up his food if he was avidly looking for more, I'd up his food if he starts looking skinny. Many dogs (especially labs) get super fat because they love to eat and are always looking for more food.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much in cups is each scoop? It does seem like he's eating an awful lot. My Great Dane didn't eat that much as a puppy of the same age. I would also break his feedings down into 3 meals a day rather than 2 at least until he's about 6 months old.
Each scoop is 1 cup.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not all dogs learn the same way or at the same pace. My boy picks up on things right away but my neighbor's dog takes tons of time to learn thing!

Also, I agree with this. I wouldn't up his food if he was avidly looking for more, I'd up his food if he starts looking skinny. Many dogs (especially labs) get super fat because they love to eat and are always looking for more food.
He doesnt always want more. And hes not a lab :)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
They said each scoop was 1 cup. So he was getting 5 cups a day.

I agree with feeding three times. Morning lunch and dinner and cutting each feeding down to maybe 1-1/2 cups three times a day? (Maybe someone with a larger breed dog could chime in. I feed my my dog 1-1 1/2 cups twice a day but she's only 50 pounds [ and on a diet])

Also put him on a schedule for feeding. Don't free feed.

·
Banned
241 Posts
I thought we were going to go around the bend and then some getting him trained, but he seems to have caught on quite quickly. Is it breed based? Dog based? Training based? Or just luck of the draw that he's caught on so well.
I think a lot has to do with the breed, a lot has to do with the training, and a lot has to do with the individual dog. In that order...

My girls are both what I consider 'normal' for their breed as compared to the others I have owned but even though both are trained the same way, have the same experiences, and are in the same environment - One of them is clearly a 'quicker learner' than her sister.

List of top ten smartest dog breeds:
http://www.petmedsonline.org/top-10-smartest-dogs-in-the-world.html

I have a friend that brings his Golden Retreiver to work a lot and that dog is spooky smart... A VERY long list of words that that dogs knows perfectly.

Sounds like you have a fast learner as well!

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I feed my 60 lb Lab about 3 cups a day, as recommended on the package. GSDs are not usually chowhounds, but 5 cups sounds like more than recommended. The Vet can tell you how to judge lean vs. fat.

GSDs are very intelligent and the more you train, the smarter he will be. With 10 min./day, you can teach him to understand 200 words and hand signals in the first year. And, the more you train, the easier it is. After 2 - 3 years, a well-trained GSD will almost anticipate what you want.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I feed my 60 lb Lab about 3 cups a day, as recommended on the package. GSDs are not usually chowhounds, but 5 cups sounds like more than recommended. The Vet can tell you how to judge lean vs. fat.

GSDs are very intelligent and the more you train, the smarter he will be. With 10 min./day, you can teach him to understand 200 words and hand signals in the first year. And, the more you train, the easier it is. After 2 - 3 years, a well-trained GSD will almost anticipate what you want.
GSD? What is that?

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
My papillon and my brother's pit bull will sometimes retch when they badly need out to pee. Maybe it's anxiety-based because they really don't want to mess on the floor? I'm not sure.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Benny is 9 months old and 67 pounds ... he gets fed 2 cups twice a day. It keeps him at a decent thin weight. He is also super super high energy. :)

My small 19 pound Schnauzer/Poodles gets 1 1/2 cups per day divided into two meals. one of them also throws up if he needs to go poo and has to wait too long to be let out.

Abbylynn is just one year old and gets 1 1/2 cups of food twice a day and she is just at 61 pounds and on a diet ( she is looking a little chubby )

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that exercising right after eating can cause bloat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts