Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a few weeks ago that Hamish had been tested for kidney problems and the results indicated liver problems (low red blood cell count) so they prescribed 14 days of antibiotics (Baytril) plus Hepato support and Zenotil Advanced (SAMe).
He went back for more blood tests today and the vet has just called to say that the liver enzyme count has worsened so they want to try another 14 day course of some different antibiotics plus continuing the Hepato support (but stop the SAMe as they didn't help).
They admitted they don't know exactly what the problem is, but want to try to see if it could be bacteria issues first before doing more intrusive procedures (ultrasound etc.).
I am just a bit concerned about the volume of antibiotics he's now had so far this year (this will be his fourth lot) and if they could cause him more problems?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
When my cocker had liver issues, they put her on Flagyl (metrozinole (sp?)), Adenosyl 225, and something for ulcers.

You can ask your vet about giving yogurt, or probiotics to offset the antibiotics killing the good flora in the body. also ask about adenosyl 225.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't give him yogurt as he's not allowed dairy, however I am including a small amount of Fromm Gold (23% protein) alongside the RC Sensitivity the vet has prescribed, and that (the Fromm) is supposed to include probiotics (and is obviously better quality!!). I think the new antibiotic the vet has prescribed might be metrozinole as she said he's had it before when he had a stomach upset.

I think the Zenotil Advanced was basically a different brand of adenosyl which is why I'm a bit concerned that the vet said to discontinue it as it had done no good - not sure that 14 days was really long enough so plan to investigate more as everything I've read to date seems to say that's almost a given for helping liver issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only problem with that is that it could possibly accelerate the kidney problems and cause your dog a lot of pain.

I would recommend possibly seeing another vet? Sometimes getting a second opinion with someone different could help.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only problem with that is that it could possibly accelerate the kidney problems and cause your dog a lot of pain.

Best of luck!
Sorry - should have said that the kidney test came back OK, but they found the liver problems. Do you think the antibiotics could cause kidney problems as I want to ensure I don't cause any more issues for him?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh, then he's fine to take antibiotics if his kidneys are okay. If there are previous kidney problems then you aren't supposed to give them.

best of luck! Hope your baby gets better!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am sorry Hamish is under the weather. :( He is such a cute little guy!

I am thinking good thoughts and praying for Hamish and a good outcome.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Abbylynn - really appreciated.

Have to say Hamish is taking it all in his stride, and just wondering why I am alternating between mad internet searcher and extreme worrier :Cry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
mcdavis: any new news on hamish? I'm at the same place as you right now. Urine test, blood tests, ultrasound and non invasive biopsy all showed nothing (except sky rocket enzyme levels). She was on a course if antibiotics for 4 weeks and they did nothing. Levels hot worse. Now she's on hepato support and Baytril for 2 weeks. Would love to hear how your dog is doing. Any improvements?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tia's mom, sadly we lost Hamish over New Year however he had improved from the above posting. He completed the second course of antibiotics then continued with just Hepato Support plus SAMe and his ALT had started to reduce slowly.
Sorry to hear that you're now facing this - it's horrible to see our pups ill and not know how to help.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Almost two years ago Remmy had some seizures. After testing they found there was something wrong with his liver. He was on Antibiotics and another fluid for a month and when tested again six months later, he was fine. I had him tested in Feb. 2012 and everything seemed good. Last Saturday he had a small seizure so he is going in on Thursday for some more blood tests and depending what they find, they will probably do another bile test. They never did find out the first time what caused the seizure so I have my doubts they will find out this time.

He eats, drinks normally, has done lots of agility in the past year and a half and there never seemed to be anything to trigger the seizures. Afterwards he is back to normal so it is impossible to tell if he has had any seizures when I was not around, or during the night but he is with me constantly so I am sure I would have noticed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts