Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up Franklin at the groomer. (Bless his heart. He sheds and still needs a regular trim.)

Our groomer has a kind of free-range setup that works well for us. Franklin had been ready for an hour and was busy playing with a bunch of other small dogs under the supervision of a helper/dog wrangler.

The groomer/owner was holding a small dog and was clearly rattled. The helper told me that the dog, a first-time client, had stopped breathing and just dropped dead on the table before the grooming even started. The groomer gave her mouth-to-mouth and brought her back. By the time I arrived, the dog appeared a bit dazed but was in much better shape than the groomer. The helper was just in awe at what happened.

I hope the groomer gets a really good tip, even though she had no plans to continue the grooming.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
There isn't any educational standards set for groomers that I know of. It's certainly a good idea for them to be trained in CPR, though.

When I worked for a vet (lo these many years ago) I used to groom a couple of geriatric Mini Poodles that just about everyone else flat-out refused to touch. They were something like 17 or 18 at the time, and my biggest worry was that one of them would keel over on me. Thankfully, they didn't.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in the process of opening a dog walking business and I can't imagine not learning how to give CPR, among other first aid. It's definitely very high on my list of important things to get done. Groomers should definitely consider it in my humble opinion .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts