Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this may be a stupid question, but are dogs attracted to other dogs of the same breed, and would this apply to mixes?

I'm beginning to wonder if Kabota might not be a husky mix. The description of the husky temperament is a dead on description of Kabota's temperament, right down to the extreme prey drive. (I've never seen anything like it. My old dog caught and ate several rabbits and a skunk and I'm still amazed by Kabota's prey drive.) Kabota's favorite activity is running. Just to run. And run and run and run.

I was told he was a Golden Retriever x border collie, but I've never heard that GRs or BCs had that kind of prey drive, and Kabota has no instinct for retrieving. Kabota is very food driven, which I know huskies usually aren't.

Yesterday, he got to play with a husky at the dog park and I have never seen him so happy. He wanted nothing to do with any other dog there, and was so over the top ecstatic, I asked the husky's owner if she got her from Kentucky, thinking maybe the same people who abandoned Kabota had also abandoned a husky and they grew up together. Nope. The husky has never been south of the Mason-Dixon line.

I have found several pictures of husky mixes, particularly husky x beagle, that look a lot like Kabota. It doesn't really matter to me, but his reaction to that husky was so over the top, it got me wondering.

Also, you can't tell from any picture I have of him, but if you hold his ears up, they're exactly the size, shape and placement of husky ears, just flopped forward. His eyes aren't actually black, they're gold around the iris surrounded by a dark brown ring. (They're really pretty, but I can't capture it with my iPod.)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
It's possible he may have a very small amount of husky in him.

I know Bella enjoys playing with other Huskies more so than any other dog but that's because Siberians have a very rough and tumble play style and actually looks quite often like a dog fight to someone who doesn't know better. They're very rough and it's just a style of play that other breeds don't do/aren't used to I guess - but all/most northern breeds play like that. Bella thrives with other Northern breed dogs - not just Siberians.

But it could just be he's never been around that type of dog? Maybe he wanted to play a little more rough and the other dogs wouldn't but this dog would? Lots of things could make him gravitate to that dog.

But I am a firm believer that dogs of certain breeds are attracted to other members of that breed (Like i said it's well known Siberians actively seek out other Siberians and Northern breed dogs)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Watching him with the husky was scary at first. They kept . . . tumbling. But both dogs had happy body language and everything was preceded by a play bow and nobody squealed or yelped, so I let it go. Kabota was so obviously happy, I didn't want to interrupt. Plus, the husky's owner was watching and didn't seem to find it concerning. (Of course, she could be one of those people who doesn't care when their dog attacks another.)

If Kabota does have the prey drive of a husky, bless you actual husky owners! He tries to chase birds in flight!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Watching him with the husky was scary at first. They kept . . . tumbling. But both dogs had happy body language and everything was preceded by a play bow and nobody squealed or yelped, so I let it go. Kabota was so obviously happy, I didn't want to interrupt. Plus, the husky's owner was watching and didn't seem to find it concerning. (Of course, she could be one of those people who doesn't care when their dog attacks another.)

If Kabota does have the prey drive of a husky, bless you actual husky owners! He tries to chase birds in flight!
Northern breed dogs have a very unique play style and to someone who doesn't know I'm sure it is terrifying lol! A lot of it can be very very vocal and it is very rough and tumble. I watch Bella like a hawk with other dogs and most of her play I don't worry about and when I see something I don't like she gets removed.

Bella's prey drive is...a scene to behold. Leaves cannot blow an inch in the wind without her going after it. Birds, squirrels, cats, rabbits, skunks, cecadas (those nasty bugs in the summer), foxes are ALL fair game and she will pull my arm out of the socket if she thinks there is a chance in hell of her getting them.

There was a rabbit in the yard the other night she LAID DOWN in the yard to go pee as she was stalking the rabbit. Ever since she was about 7 months old and saw a rabbit in the backyard now when we go out she's already in hunt mode and stalking/real low to the ground even if there isn't a rabbit. That's also why in the house she has to stay on her leash because she goes after my mothers dogs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Neeka's not a huge fan of other dogs in general and she'll usually politely ignore them- but she HATES other standard poodles. If another standard poodle comes to the park we have to leave. I don't know if this is a breed thing or a Neeka thing- but it's not always the case that dogs will like others of the same breed. I'd be willing to bet that in most cases dogs would enjoy others of the same play style and activity level, which dogs of the same breed are more likely to share.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
Kuma certainly has a distinct affinity towards other Pugs. He loves to play with big dogs at the dog park, and will usually stay within about 50 feet of me at all times, UNLESS there's a Pug there! He'll take off clear across to the other end of the park just to play with a Pug, lol.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bella's prey drive is...a scene to behold. Leaves cannot blow an inch in the wind without her going after it. Birds, squirrels, cats, rabbits, skunks, cecadas (those nasty bugs in the summer), foxes are ALL fair game and she will pull my arm out of the socket if she thinks there is a chance in hell of her getting them.
The first time I saw his prey drive was a packing peanut. I'd had Kabota a few weeks, and it was freezing out. 9F with 20 mph winds. I was dying, he was happy as a clam, but I knew he had to poop, so we kept walking. A single packing peanut blows across the parking lot we were crossing and he went nuts- lunging, shrieking, up on the end of the leash on his hind legs.

Since then, if it moves and it isn't human or dog, Kabota wants to chase it. He, mostly, doesn't pull me off my feet anymore, but he wants that moving thing with every fiber of his being.

We're never doing off leash unless there's a fence, ever.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would have to say that certain dogs do have an affinity towards their own breed or similar breeds. One of my dog plays with any breed, any age. My other dog only plays with poodle mixes, other non-shedding breeds or dogs that are blonde/apricot like him. I think he might have some issues!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Charlotte LOVES big fluffy dogs. She loses her mind if a berner, st bernard, or newfie comes in the dog park. Brody has a thing for curly coated dogs and boxers. He also loves big fluffy dogs like Charlotte. His two best friends other than Charlotte are a giant labradoodle named Dexter and a 220 lb (not obese just GIANT) newfie named Mojo.

I noticed my dogs don't play together when we're out and around other dogs, but they do play side by side and never stray from one another. They usually take turns playing with a single dog. Brody plays wingman and will come in and distract the other dog and get them to play if Charlotte seems to be getting tired or if it's getting a little rough for her. It's adorable to watch them interact.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Dogs are absolutely attracted to their own breed. If anyone doubts this, spend some time around a dog show. They recognize their own breed and many prefer their own breed over other breeds.

And beyond that, dogs are attracted to similar energy level. Dogs, my dogs at least and many dogs I have spent time around with, get along with dogs that have a similar energy level.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sydney doesn't really seem to care about other Catahoulas that much, but she LOVES male black labs. She gets so wiggly and happy its fun to watch. She acts like a little girl in love.

Chloe doesn't really like to play many other dogs other than her sister lol, she acts like such an old lady you would never guess she's not even 2

·
Registered
801 Posts
And beyond that, dogs are attracted to similar energy level. Dogs, my dogs at least and many dogs I have spent time around with, get along with dogs that have a similar energy level.
Mine doesn't seem to care about the breed of the dog, just that it has the same play style. Casbah likes playful, sweet tempered dogs that love a good zoomie. Hyper or aggressive dogs scare her. Her best friends were a cockapoo female and a male min pin mix. It was funny to meet another shih tzu that was absolutely in love with Cassy and wanted to play with her alone but Cassy was totally indifferent to it because she was turned off by his play style.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
Dogs are absolutely attracted to their own breed. If anyone doubts this, spend some time around a dog show. They recognize their own breed and many prefer their own breed over other breeds.
Kuma recognized the Pug at the Westminster Kennel Club show on the TV! Didn't care at all about any of the other dogs, lol.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Caeda met her first adult Swissy at social the other night....no interest. Of course it might have something to do with the fact that she is a 60lb runt and it was about 100lbs, though she has never had a problem playing with dogs that size. She also had minimal interest in the bernese puppies...though they were the same size and only 5 months old :p
Of course Caeda is kinda weird anyway lol.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I once had this male Rottie that I would take to dog shows or other event where there were a LOT of dogs. He would pretty much ignore all other dogs but when another Rottie was around I would feel this weird vibration in the leash and I could hear a real low rumble coming from him. He got along fine with the other Rotties in my house (7 of them at that time) but didn't want any others coming near him. He definitely knew his own kind I am just not sure he liked them. ha ha Maybe he didn't want anymore of them coming to live in his house?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not in our case. One dog is 1/2 ACD and 1/2 JRT. The two breeds of dogs she consistently can't stand are...ACDs and JRTs! The Border Collie mix is afraid of full Border Collies...they must be too intense for her or something. Maybe because our dogs are mutts, they are confused ;).

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd be willing to wager that a lot of dogs are using their noses rather than their eyes to recognize other dogs of the same breed.
I do have to wonder about that. Obviously, Kabota is living in a world of smell I can't even begin to perceive, so I have no idea what he smells or from how far off. He does watch TV (no smell) only if there are dogs on the screen. I wonder how much difference grooming makes to all this. I mean, I have Kabota washed in fragrance free shampoo for my own benefit, but lots of people use scented shampoos, so does he smell the shampoo and the breed? Do different breeds actually smell differently? When I got him, Kabota smelled unbelievably bad, would that have affected it? I have no way of knowing, and he has no way of telling me.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My GSD's do not acknowledge the presence of other dogs at all unless it's another GSD. Then they'll do a neck-snapping double take to get a good look at it. The same with my Great Danes. While they will play with other breeds they always tend to gravitate to other GD's. I'm sure it's not just a size issue thing either since one of my GD's is a tiny girl at only 85lbs and a couple of my GSD's were well over 110lbs.
Yes, I think dogs do recognize their own breed.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts