Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am in the UK and, as a lot of us know, we are currently in lockdown for a month. I am set to get a puppy from a breeder in a few weeks. I am wondering, if anyone is in the UK or another place with lockdown, are breeders still allowed to give dogs to their respected owners at 8 weeks old? Or do they need to wait until lockdown is over?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi.

Didn't seem to stop breeders sending dogs home the first time round. Of course, most were backyard breeders looking to make a pretty penny.

Best thing to do is to talk to the breeder - if you have one lined up. But looking on pets4homes (not great, because most are BYB), the asking prices are hugely inflated purely because people have decided lockdown is the perfect chance to get a puppy. Those in the know are expecting an influx of lockdown puppies to be entering rescue centres when people go back to work or realise how much like hard work they are.

If it were me (and I am very puppy broody right now), I'd wait until things return to some semblance of normality, when puppy prices come down to pre-Covid/lockdown levels. Or I'd approach rescue centres. They do get pregnant bitches and/or mother's with young puppies in all the time, and at least that way you're not lining the pockets of unscrupulous breeders.

However.

If you do approach a breeder, make sure you know what to look out for.
RSCPA Finding A Good Dog Breeder

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Didn't seem to stop breeders sending dogs home the first time round. Of course, most were backyard breeders looking to make a pretty penny. Best thing to do is to talk to the breeder - if you have one lined up. But looking on pets4homes (not great, because most are BYB), the asking prices are hugely inflated purely because people have decided lockdown is the perfect chance to get a puppy. Those in the know are expecting an influx of lockdown puppies to be entering rescue centres when people go back to work or realise how much like hard work they are. If it were me (and I am very puppy broody right now), I'd wait until things return to some semblance of normality, when puppy prices come down to pre-Covid/lockdown levels. Or I'd approach rescue centres. They do get pregnant bitches and/or mother's with young puppies in all the time, and at least that way you're not lining the pockets of unscrupulous breeders. However. If you do approach a breeder, make sure you know what to look out for. RSCPA Finding A Good Dog Breeder
Hi. Didn't seem to stop breeders sending dogs home the first time round. Of course, most were backyard breeders looking to make a pretty penny. Best thing to do is to talk to the breeder - if you have one lined up. But looking on pets4homes (not great, because most are BYB), the asking prices are hugely inflated purely because people have decided lockdown is the perfect chance to get a puppy. Those in the know are expecting an influx of lockdown puppies to be entering rescue centres when people go back to work or realise how much like hard work they are. If it were me (and I am very puppy broody right now), I'd wait until things return to some semblance of normality, when puppy prices come down to pre-Covid/lockdown levels. Or I'd approach rescue centres. They do get pregnant bitches and/or mother's with young puppies in all the time, and at least that way you're not lining the pockets of unscrupulous breeders. However. If you do approach a breeder, make sure you know what to look out for. RSCPA Finding A Good Dog Breeder
I have already found a reputable breeder and I have a puppy from the current litter. Just waiting for him to be old enough to come home. He is almost 3 weeks old right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts