Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on my 4 months old Lab! I got her about a month ago and my fiance and I are having the hardest time training her. We take her out for walks 2 times a day and even after all the excercise she gets she is still very hyper and i know she is just a puppy still but she is a big dog and we cant get her calm down she tends to bite alot too even if you are petting her she will bite you. Tonight was pretty much the last straw I brought her inside from a walk and she started chasing my cats so i went over to stop it and she started growling and biting both me and my cat it was crazy.
I always heard that labs are great dogs and wonderful with other pets so i my question is, is there anything i can do to get her to calm down and listen better? I know i need to get her into some obedience training and i will soon but for right now i need some training tips to help this living situation here. Another thing I hope i can get a answer on is i have a crate for her but she hates to sleep in it and whines all night long how can i get her to like her bed and sleep in it? Thanks Everyone!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Sounds like she's just really bored and understimulated. The mouthiness IS normal, as is the energy level. Training is really the only thing that's going to help.

First of all, how much playing are you doing with her? Get her going playing fetch for at LEAST 2-3 20-30 minute sessions a day. She's mouthy, so don't try and take things out of he rmouth - just use multiple tennis balls or toys. Lots of long sniffy walks will help too.

Check out "The Bite Stops Here" stickies, and work on the Trading Game (one article here - http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:1zGKzngbLBEJ:www.siriusdog.com/dog-teach-give-let-go.htm+teaching+give+trading+dog&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a) in order to teach her to give an item when you tell her to drop it.

Get her into training ASAP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thank you! i have only been taking her on walks daily but that does sound right! ill start playing with her more and get her into training sooner then i thought. thanks for the biting tips and the website!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
The short answer to your question is: Yup!

The long answer to your question is:

Your dog's muscles are being exercised, but her mind isn't. She's bored and restless. You need to work her mind through games, training, and general exploration of new places and new things. Fetch will help, and she'll love that. Short training sessions throughout the day will also help, both with getting her behaviour in order and with working off some mental energy. Take her to new places, let her explore.

Check out the sticky called "The Bite Stops Here" to help with the play-biting, and supervise all her interactions with the cat. This post by Elana has an excellent list of tips on helping your dog get along with your cat.
http://www.dogforums.com/posts/19-first-time-dog-owner/50696-new-german-shepherd-questions/534887-post41.html

Regarding the crate, you need to ignore her whining instead of letting her out everytime she starts crying, or letting her sleep on the bed. That will only teach her that if she cries long enough, she'll get to sleep somewhere else. Instead, start feeding her in her crate. Give her toys when you leave her in there. Leave the crate door open and praise her for exploring it or going in on her own accord.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Strongly field-bred (also called American) Labs are often EXTREMELY high energy and borderline-neurotic if they're not working, playing, or training constantly. Do you know what your pup's lineage is? With Labs, it's important to know which kind you're getting; it can make a big difference in the amount of drive the dog has. A field-line Lab generally requires much more exercise and mental stimulation than a show-bred (also known as an English) Lab. However, if you can direct that energy and intelligence into serious Obedience or Agility training, they're basically geniuses at it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My lab mix is 8 mo. old and she is still very hyper. Everything is better with her when she gets enough exercise. Walking on a leash doesn't seem to tire her enough. I take her to a dog park or a doggie daycare 4-5 days of the week in addition to 2 walks a day. We also are doing, what seems, continual training classes with her. Focus exercises like "leave it", "watch me", and "touch" really seem to help her. She was very nippy as a puppy. What worked for us was ignoring her when she nipped at us. We couldn't just walk away from her to ignore her because she would chase after us while still nipping. We had to confine her to a small room for a short period everytime she nipped. She wanted to play and being ignored quickly stopped the nipping. Stick in there. It will get much better.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i had a lab .. he was very very hyper

so i used to givves him 2 walks a day + 2 30 min session of fetch ball n stuff.

it used to tire him a lot and he sat with ease.. but one thing im sure of is that dogs look better when they are runing around house ..it actually feels ur dog is alive .. else i saw other labs they just sat normaly -.- it was booring .

i never tought my dog anything he used to walk with me without leesh ..

yep labs do put hands and legs in mouth but they never bite ..
thats what i have seen .

labs are very hyper active and full of energy . make sure u get your dog worked up .. from what i see is ur dog is perfectly fine ..i would love to have a lab again ^_^

·
Registered
347 Posts
In my experience, Labs act at least somewhat puppy like for close to three years.

Lots of exercise, lots of mental stimulation make them great pets to own. But they are, without a doubt, lots of work. So long as you enjoy that work, then it works out for both parties.

My dog is almost two (lab-pit mix), and I've mostly broken him of his mouthiness through the techniques (The Bite Stops Here) referenced above.

He has an insatiable desire for fun and exercise, though.

I took him on an eight-mile walk Sunday with my friend and her keeshond. We stopped every here and there, as I had Snyder do some tricks. At the four-mile mark, we were at an open field and I took Snyder off leash and we played fetch with a tennis ball for 20 minutes. I varied, fun, sniffy walking with walking with a purpose by my side. An hour after we got back, the Keeshond was passed out under a bed and my dog was playing with an Egge, going at it with full energy.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I would never say that all of a breed is like anything, but, yes, Labs tend to be hyper, and Lab puppies doubly so. They are great dogs, but that doesn't mean they're great for everybody. Labs were bred to leap into icy Newfoundland waters in January, swim 200 yards to bring a bird back, then do it again; that is to say, a simple walk probably won't cut it. Fetch is a great game for them - they get to run around, while you stay still. They might be a little young for it, but retrieving a practice dummy from the water is the perfect exercise for them. It's not only more exhausting than running, it simulates their original purpose as a breed.

Keep them busy and trained, and you'll never meet a more loving and affectionate dog. Let them get bored and under-stimulated, and you can expect to spend a few thousand dollars a year replacing your furniture.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I need some advice on my 4 months old Lab! I got her about a month ago and my fiance and I are having the hardest time training her. We take her out for walks 2 times a day and even after all the excercise she gets she is still very hyper and i know she is just a puppy still but she is a big dog and we cant get her calm down she tends to bite alot too even if you are petting her she will bite you. Tonight was pretty much the last straw I brought her inside from a walk and she started chasing my cats so i went over to stop it and she started growling and biting both me and my cat it was crazy.
4 month old pups are always hyper, she'll slow down some as she gets older.

Best to get her trained now though, and good idea to get her trained to love fetch young, it'll come in handy for tiring them out for life. Having a dog that will come plop a ball or Frisbee in your lap and demand to go play is a good thing to encourage, and keeps bad behavior at a minimum if you comply and wear them out daily..

4 months is not too young to learn fetching, or sit, down, stay etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the responses! i took my Roxy for a 4 mile walk today and we played fetch at first she was like wait what do i do on the whole bringing it back and stuff but i kept working with her for like a hour and finally she got it so the rest of the time we just played and had a lot of fun! I took the advice and enrolled her into obedience training today which im very excited about...now she just got done eating and is asleep right beside me!! So cute!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Labs tend to be extremely hyperactive. I've never quite understood why such an active dog could be the most popular breed for so long. I don't think most Americans are all that active and we have the waistlines to prove it. But I digress.

Anyway, try getting a pack and putting some bottles of water in it on the walk. Also instead of walking, try running/jogging or even biking. Strap on some roller blades and have the dog pull you. Anything to get the dog running to burn off energy faster. Try feeding the dog out of a tug a jug or treat ball or something similar for some mental stimulation as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hulkamaniac-yeah she is a very hyper dog..but my brother in law has a 6 year old lab and he is wonderful but they also put a lot of time and training into him and your very right he is part of their pack along with coedy the other dog. Im going to go to Petsmart and look for something like the treat ball you are talking about I think she would just love that. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
Just as all beagles aren't fat, all labs aren't hyper. The drive and stamina that makes them great field dogs can be frustrating for some owners and a joy to others.

I have met young, healthy purebred labs that are nearly comatose. Personally, I prefer the active ones.

BTW, ALL generalizations are false - including this one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts