Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boss at work gave me these plants, and she has no idea what they are. I would kinda like to know so that I can find out what they need to thrive. They are looking a bit, eh, sickly right now. TIA!! Also, what can I do to get rid of snails? Apparently these plants brought some visitors. :p

Edit to add: oops, no pic...lemme add that. DSCN9362.jpg

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Just a guess, but I think it's a Hornwort plant? I don't have any so I can't tell you how to take care of them. As far as snails, I've heard that you can use Alum to get rid of the snails. I've also heard of people floating a piece of lettuce on the surface of the water each night and in the morning, take the lettuce out (which seems to attract the snails so it will be covered in them) and throwing it away.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
It's either hornwort or cabomba, but my vote is on hortwort. It's an easy peasy plant and you can just let it float at the surface because it has no leaves. Weighing it down like you have won't harm it, but make sure the weight isn't made of lead (I can't tell in the picture if it's weighed down or buried). Anyway, it's a nice plant to have because it sucks up all kinds of nitrate and other nutrients from the water, which makes it better for fish and also can outcompete algae.

As for the snails, if you post a picture of them we can ID them and let you know if they're likely to be a problem. Some are really prolific and/or eat plants, while others don't breed that quickly under normal circumstances and can actually be beneficial, cleaning your substrate and plants. Regardless, if you make sure not to overfeed and remove any you see, you should be able to keep them under control. Copper kills them but I don't recommend using it because it can also kill plants and other invertibates like shrimp or crabs and you won't ever be able to keep them in that tank again.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. :) The lettuce thing is a good idea, I'll have to try it. I have the plants buried in the substrate, which is just that fake gravel stuff. Good to know that it absorbs some of the bad stuff in my tank...maybe that's why my boss gets away with never doing any water changes. She has a ton of this stuff and her tank is beautiful, way nicer than mine and I do water changes pretty regularly!! Maybe these plants will help. I'll see if I can get pics of the snails, they are really tiny so it may be hard. Thanks again for the help!!

·
Super Moderator
7,294 Posts
The lettuce thing never worked for me, but submerging an empty pop bottle with some algae discs in it does. That or an Assasin snail usually does the trick. :). Of course, I don't recommend the Assasin snail if you have any shrimp or snails you want to keep, lol.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lettuce thing never worked for me, but submerging an empty pop bottle with some algae discs in it does. That or an Assasin snail usually does the trick. :). Of course, I don't recommend the Assasin snail if you have any shrimp or snails you want to keep, lol.
Good to know, if the lettuce doesn't work I'll try this! Yeah I don't keep either shrimp/snails so an Assassin snail would work. I was also thinking of some Clown Loaches...although aren't they considered semi-aggressive?

·
Super Moderator
7,294 Posts
Clown Loaches are really only happy in groups and grow to be up to 12 inches long. So, unless you have a VERY large tank, or plans to get one in the not so distant future, I'd skip on the Clown Loaches. ;)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clown Loaches are really only happy in groups and grow to be up to 12 inches long. So, unless you have a VERY large tank, or plans to get one in the not so distant future, I'd skip on the Clown Loaches. ;)
Very large as in how large? The tank I'm speaking of is 65 gals...and it's way understocked right now. We had a lot of oldies die off. :( I'd had them for forever! And I was def. planning on getting more than one or two. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,294 Posts
65 gallons is considered on the small side of medium among experienced fish keepers. In terms of how large? Well, you need to keep Clown Loaches in groups, and they grow to 12 inches, so at least 3 or 4 12 inch fish as adults. You'll need 100 gallons+ to keep this fish as adults. If you're not prepared to do that, you need to look for another solution, like an Assasin snail, as I already suggested, or using algae discs to attract them and remove them, also already suggested.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
65 gallons is considered on the small side of medium among experienced fish keepers. In terms of how large? Well, you need to keep Clown Loaches in groups, and they grow to 12 inches, so at least 3 or 4 12 inch fish as adults. You'll need 100 gallons+ to keep this fish as adults. If you're not prepared to do that, you need to look for another solution, like an Assasin snail, as I already suggested, or using algae discs to attract them and remove them, also already suggested.
OK, fair enough. Thanks for your help. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,294 Posts
Anytime. :). I love fish, and have been part of a number of fish forums and my local fish club for years. I'd highly recommend finding a good fish forum, you'll learn so much, and they're an invaluable resource for any fish keeper.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anytime. :). I love fish, and have been part of a number of fish forums and my local fish club for years. I'd highly recommend finding a good fish forum, you'll learn so much, and they're an invaluable resource for any fish keeper.
I've thought about it...but honestly I'm more into dogs and fish are kind of a hobby on the side. ;) I do the best I can to keep my fish healthy and happy BUT when push comes to shove my dogs get my time, if you KWIM. I was really into fish when I was a few years younger (like I'm old now, HA!!) but got to where I couldn't do dogs, a job, AND all those tanks at once.

·
Super Moderator
7,294 Posts
Oh, I understand, I'm not suggesting being an active participant necessarily, but when it comes to stocking a tank, it's critical to stock appropriately, both for the fish's well being and your enjoyment. On a good fish forum, you can post the size of your tank, and the type of fish you are interested in, and the members can help you come up with an appropriate stock list. You can certainly post what you have and would like to have here, and those of us who keep fish will be more than happy to help you, but you'll likely get the highest number of informed replies on a fish specific forum. Just a suggestion of what I've found helpful for myself, and I only have 2 tanks at the moment, neither any larger than yours. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts