Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

APRI dog shows

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Purple4343 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. Im new here and new to owning a puppy that is APRI.
Ive been reading on the differences between AKC and APRI and the others. Im not really concerned about the title.
What I do want to do is try to show my puppy. Id like to have some fun with him and thought maybe Id try this.
I cant find any info on how to start doing this.
Can anyone suggest a good site to start at? Ive googled alot and looked for videos but Im just not searching for things correctly as Im not finding the
info Im looking for.
Im willing to take anyone's advise to get me started and tips would be wonderful :)

Thank you for your time.

#2 ·
I'd never heard of APRI until your post, but I've had my dogs shown in AKC conformation and show them in AKC obedience and rally myself. What I'd do in your shoes in attend a few APRI shows and see if I could talk to some people participating. (They're busy and nervous about their classes, so it can be hard to catch people when they have time.) Then I'd see if there are instructors in your area who hold classes for people like you who want to show their own dogs. You can do a lot of training on your own, but class environment with other dogs and a different-from-home situation and an instructor who knows the ropes is really worthwhile.

#3 ·
From checking their website, it looks like shows are few and far between. I would imagine that they are run pretty much like an AKC or UKC show, with classes divided by age and sex, but the info on the actual procedure is pretty skimpy.

I would normally suggest UKC as an option if you wanted to try conformation, since you can register an dog individually (without if having UKC parents), but they don't accept APRI papers for that. If you wanted to try other UKC sports, you could get a Performance Listing, though.

If you want to try things like obedience, rally, nosework, or agility, then there are several options. There are even organizations where you can earn titles via video submissions.

#4 ·
If you want to do working events like those LeoRose mentioned, a lot of AKC shows now allow what AKC calls All American Dogs (dogs not eligible for regular AKC registration) to compete. Here in Colorado a lot of people also do ASCA events. I registered my last Rottie with UKC and did Rally with her there as well as AKC because I like Rally a lot and at that time AKC's program hadn't expanded as it has now to include a Rally Championship.

I think of those venues if it's conformation you're interested in, UKC would be the one with those classes. UKC lets you get a temporary number for a single event right at the event if that's your preference. I don't know what requirements the others have.

In, I realize, very much my own opinion, the performance events are a lot more fun, and they're a lot more objective. In conformation you get the judge's opinion. In working events you and your dog are scored on whether or not you meet the requirements of that sport.

#5 ·
For AKC event, a non-registerable purebred would need a Purebred Alternative Listing and a mixed breed would need a Canine Partners Listing, both of which require the dog to be altered. None of the other organizations require that.

Yes, you could get a Temporary Listing Number and show in UKC conformation, but anything won under it wouldn't be finalized (title awarded) until the dog is permanently registered, which you can't do with only APRI papers, since the UKC doesn't accept them for Single Registration.

#6 ·
I guess my problem is I have no idea about the different groups n what ones my pup is allowed to show in if he's not akc. I'm trying to find more info so I can understand it. I just need to keep reading n searching. It's all brand new to me but I'll learn. Ty all for being so kind and replying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.