Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today, I was out taking Zoey for a walk.. We had barely been out for a minute, so we were still on our street, when Zoey starts doing her little alarm "Buff..buff" bark and stops dead in her tracks.. I look up to see what she's barking at, and I see a white and brown pit bull trotting across the street towards us.. I reached down and picked up Zoey, and held her in my right arm, turning her so she was partially hidden behind me.. The pit bull came right up to me and stopped about two inches from touching me, staring at Zoey. He didn't seem to be aggressive, but he was -very- interested in Zoey, and as he's standing there looking at her, (and I'm doing my best to look 'In charge' of the situation) she starts yelping her head off like she's being attacked.. which she's not.. And now the dog looks really interested, so I say 'Go!' to him, and I point away.. and he takes a few steps back, so I say "GO!" again, and take a step forward while I point, and then he turned around and ran the other way.

My question is.. Did I do the right thing? Could this dog have been dog agressive? We've met other dogs on the streets before and sometimes I have picked her up, and sometimes I have left her down, but she has never reacted like that.. nor has a dog approached us with so much confidence. She has met large dogs/small dogs, all kinds of dogs.. and never done that. Did she know that this dog was possibly acting aggressively? Is that why she freaked? I'm just a little freaked by the whole thing because what if it had been really aggressive, or human aggressive, what should I have done then?

Looking for advice please :eek:

EDIT: I just thought I should mention that when she freaked out and started yelping, it was loud enough that my husband came running out of the house to see what the heck was going on.. He said it sounded like she had been hit by a car or something. :(

·
Registered
962 Posts
There are alot here that say that is the worst thing you can do, is pick up your dog. Well you know what, I would pick up my little dog in a heart beat and if others can leave there little dog on the ground to see if it is going to torn up to shreads so be it. You did the right thing from my perspective.
Oh, same thing happened to me and my little girl barked her full head off could have made things worst. But ended up like your situation did. I just nonchalantly walked away.:)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I really can't speak whether to pick up your dog is the right thing; for me it's not an option. I understand the sentiment, your dog could be badly injured in an instant. But I also have seen people do this with their small dogs when Toby and I pass them on our walks and I feel like this only futhers their dogs' insecurities.

I think the other issue is with the breed. Did you react this way because he was a pit bull? Was there something else that made you react this way? You obviously were scared that this dog was agressive, but from what you've said it doesn't sound like he showed any reason for you to think this besides his breed. Not that it matters, I just think it's an intersting topic similar to the issue of sub-concious racism.

Bottom line is no one got hurt so what you did worked. Right or wrong? Really no such thing in this case. The right things ensure no one is any worse off after the encounter, the wrong things are the opposite.

Did your dog know? Impossible to tell. Do dogs emit an odor when they are agressive that other dogs can smell and identify and react to? Toby hasn't let me in on that secret yet. My guess is that you were scared and that is what your dog noticed and reacted to.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the other issue is with the breed. Did you react this way because he was a pit bull? Was there something else that made you react this way? You obviously were scared that this dog was agressive, but from what you've said it doesn't sound like he showed any reason for you to think this besides his breed. Not that it matters, I just think it's an intersting topic similar to the issue of sub-concious racism.

No, I wasn't frightened because of his breed (LOL..i know plenty of nice pit bulls) ... I didn't even realize what kind of dog he was until he got right up in front of me. It was the -way- he approached, it was fast paced and he didn't pay any attention to me... Only Zoey. Another thing I just realized is that he didn't do any sniffing. He didn't try to sniff me, and he didn't try to sniff Zoey, he was just starting at her. When a black lab approached us, I picked her up because she was just 12 weeks old at the time. The lab came up very cheerfully and sniffed of me, and of Zoey, and wanted to be pet... I don't know.. this dog just felt different. I just don't know if it was aggression?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I can tell you that any loose dog rather frightens me. I could care less about breed. We have a neighbor with a lab that is a downright danger (the same one with the pit mix. I think he just raises his dogs to be mean). One day, that lab is going to get loose and they're going to have a lawsuit on their hands.

No dog should be allowed to roam loose, and any loose dog that is unknown is a potential danger. Frankly, you have no idea what the dog is capable of. That's also why I'm not a big fan of dog parks.

Some dogs also have poor doggy social skills and their body language doesn't read right...if that makes sense. That could have been the case here.

Regardless, I don't blame you for picking up your dog. I would have done the same thing, and not thought another thing about it.

Eventually, I'll likely get a dog that will be very difficult to pick up, were I ever in that same situation. *shudders* I think you were right to trust your instincts.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I'm also wary of loose dogs. I have no idea what they've been taught, who their owners are or what their deal is. I don't know if the dog is friendly, vicious or somewhere in between and I have no control over the situation. That's the worst part of it for me.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I think that if you have to question if the dog was acting aggressively, that is a sure sign that he wasn't. If the dog was being aggressive, you'd clearly know it. Sounds like he was just curious and you effectively shoo'd him away without much of an effort.

·
Registered
166 Posts
After witnessing a vicious dog attack (my parents rottie was torn to pieces by two bull mastiffs this summer) I can honestly say there is no right or wrong way to protect yourself from a potential attack. A strange dog who is loose reminds me of a stranger in a dark alley. Is it really worth being wrong?

on a walk if you encounter a dog on leash then I wouldn't pick up the dog, however a dog, especially a high drive breed bred to kill little fluffy things, should not be trusted, even on leash... If you read dog really well then you'll be fine. If you see someone bringing their dog to 'say hi' you don't like say so. There seems to be a lot of ignorant people in this world who let their children randomly fawn over dogs (they sneak attack you one minute your getting your dog food into the shopping cart, the next there some kid litterally laying ontop of one of my dogs :rolleyes:)

Well you did the right thing in my mind, and a quick suggestion: BRING SOMETHING WITH YOU every time you walk. Pepper spray, a spray bottle of vinegar, something. It might not always help but pepper spray or vinegar to the eyes might give you enough time to get away. Any breed bred for hunting/killing small creatures is a danger, any strange dog is a danger. I may be paranoid but it took months to heal the physical wounds on the rottie and not to mention the emotional scares my chessie (who was 8 weeks old at the time) has had to deal with. Don't trust any dog you don't know, and even then be weary.

ok, I'm tired and now I sound paranoid... hmmm lmao -falls asleep at computer-

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Earlier today when I was walking Upendi a lab charged us and tried to go for Upendi. Luckily a neighbor was out and yelled at the dog to go home while I got myself between Upendi and the other dog. It ran back to it's yard where it's owner promptly tied it. The problem is I've had run in with the same dog more than once as the people think it's perfectly acceptable to let her run loose. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
If I'm walking my 5lb dog, and any dog that I don't know runs up to us... I will pick him up.
I see nothing wrong with it.
I think you did the right thing. Probably exactly what I would have done.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies :) It's good to hear that most of you would have done the same thing given the situation. My brother-in-law suggested that I run at the dog and chase him off... But.. I think.. Hmm.. 115lb female + chasing big dog = something bad bound is bound to happen. Apparently it worked for him though.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
well my thought on this is the Pit bull was curious. If he was truly aggressive and had targeted your little dog he could probably have tried to jerk him/her out of your arms. I have seen that many times. I am not blaming you at all for picking your dog up at all. It is typically the wrong thing but in this case it seems to have worked. I guess If I were you I would have also called animal control to let them know there is a dog running around loose in your area. That way maybe they would have found the dogs owners and let them know they need to keep a closer eye on their dog. Loose dogs are not safe for walkers or are they safe themselves. He could have gotten hit by a car or something also. I am glad it turned out well for you and nobody was hurt. I HATE LOOSE DOGS!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts