Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got home with Apollo, our new "baby" we adopted from the WI Rottweiler Rescue. He's somewhere between 7-10 months old.

Meeting Ace the kitty:

Not the clearest pic but a nice action shot:

Seeing what's up outside:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
He is so cute! I love his little butt. Not to mention his face is perfectly adorable as well. He is a little thin, but not bad at all. I am sure you will remedy that in no time at all. He is probably just going through a little growth spirt right now is all. It is so cute seeing him and Luna looking out the window together. Fast friends already! :) Kitty doesn't look so sure just yet. lol

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
He is so cute!! Congratulations!

·
Registered
57 Posts
He is a beauty, Love the name, I am getting my 3rd rottie around August 1st and I thought of naming him Appolo.. Congrats I wish my 2 loved the kittues as much, hmm maybe one day all in time

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Very handsome!
Congrats agian on the new addition - I'm sure he'll be a perfect fit in your family.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Congratulations!! I am in the Fox Cities, WI, where is this rescue? Sounds great. I love Rotties. You'll have to look for the book "Good Dog Carl". It'a a series of children's books that features Rotties with few words. Makes no difference if you have kids or not!

We have two puppies. Mia is 2 and Luna just turned 1. When they got too wild or when one wouldn't leave the other alone I put some bitter apple on the back of the dog that needed a rest and the other backed down. I of course made sure it was safe for their skin etc. Mia was super mouthy as a puppy so we survived by putting bitter apple on our hands!

They'll be great friends soon. My doggy daycare has a video camera and Luna follows Mia around and they touch noses throughout the day often. We got the second dog to avoid doggy daycare and it's worked great. Now they only have to go when we are out of town. Built in playmates!

Hope you first night is uneventful! :eek:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Oh my, he is gorgeous. Very handsome, sweet face. Congrats, and can't wait to see more pictures of this boy. I have been trying to rescue a Rottie here with no luck - wishing I was closer to WI - sounds like they have more that need rescuing.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WI Rottweiler Rescue is in Madison, WI. I would highly recommend it!

Awesome tip on the bitter apple! I'll pick some up and make sure one of the dogs doesn't actually enjoy the taste, LOL.

Our first night went really well. He has some loose stool (nerves, most likely) so we're putting pumpkin in his food to firm things up. He'll be going for a wellness exam to my vet soon.

Apollo loves his crate and happily walked right in as soon as we had it set up. He slept like a log most of the night!

·
Registered
146 Posts
He is a sweetie! He looks big for being that young, but my Annabelle, who is almost 9 months now is a small rottie. I must have forgotten what my boys looked like when they were pups....lol. I agree with Inga, he is not that skinny. Annabelle is going through a growth spurt and looks a little thin. I am always worried about my dogs weight, my BH says I worry too much...lol. Not too heavy, not too thin, rotties are known for having hip problems and my vet always told me that a nice trim dog is better than a obese rottie. Good luck with him.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He is a sweetie! He looks big for being that young, but my Annabelle, who is almost 9 months now is a small rottie. I must have forgotten what my boys looked like when they were pups....lol. I agree with Inga, he is not that skinny.
We're off to the vet today, so hopefully my vet will be able to give a more definitive answer on the age question. His teeth are awfully white... so that is one clue to him being a rather young dog, as I doubt the original owners brushed his teeth (since they didn't really bother to do any other training). He's not terribly big... a bit smaller than Luna and she's 7 months old (different breeds, though.. so not a very good comparison, LOL).

I don't think he's too terribly skinny, but definitely a bit on the thin side. It's hard to tell in the pictures, but I can see a bit too much rib than I think is normal. Again, the vet should be able tell me what she thinks.

Thanks all for your well wishes!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm curious to see how much he weighs.
76 pounds. Wow, Rotties are solid! Luna is a very similar size and is 67 pounds! The vet's guess as to age is approximately 1 year. Said he could gain a few pounds but definitely isn't in bad shape.

The vet put him on an antibiotic due to a slightly elevated temp and green nasal discharge. All the clinic employees positively gushed over him and talked about what a good boy he is. He was good as gold during the exam, the nail clipping, and the microchip insertion.

Yay Apollo!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts