Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I find an APBT from a long line of healthy ancestors and good pedigree?
It's so easy to find well bred german shepherd, but when I look around for APBT I see almost nothing at all.
A lot of scams and BYB.

My last pitbull was diabetic for 8 years of his life but I did right by him every step of the way.
Tested his blood 2x everyday, etc.

He was such a great dog!! I wish I could have another dog like him except without the health issues.
We had a very strong bond and I gave him a blessed life.

I don't want to rescue or adopt a pitbull that comes from unknown lineage with increased risk of health problems.

·
Super Moderator
2,219 Posts
Look at the United Kennel Club, which has recognized APBT as a breed for some time (AKC doesn't) and where most breeders who care to show do so. Obviously, just like with the AKC, showing and being associated with a kennel club is not a guarantee that a breeder is ethical and reputable but it's a start.

My understanding is that the well-bred APBT world is very small and insular, and there aren't many breeders. These dogs also tend to be true to the terrier part of their name - intense, exuberant, high-energy, extremely athletic, and likely to have some degree of dog and/or animal aggression. Also extremely friendly to humans, intelligent, eager to learn. If this is what you're looking for, they sound like awesome dogs, but they can be quite different from many of the mixes labelled pit bull or BYB dogs bred more for tough looks than preserving the breed's temperament and working ability.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look at the United Kennel Club, which has recognized APBT as a breed for some time (AKC doesn't) and where most breeders who care to show do so. Obviously, just like with the AKC, showing and being associated with a kennel club is not a guarantee that a breeder is ethical and reputable but it's a start.

My understanding is that the well-bred APBT world is very small and insular, and there aren't many breeders. These dogs also tend to be true to the terrier part of their name - intense, exuberant, high-energy, extremely athletic, and likely to have some degree of dog and/or animal aggression. Also extremely friendly to humans, intelligent, eager to learn. If this is what you're looking for, they sound like awesome dogs, but they can be quite different from many of the mixes labelled pit bull or BYB dogs bred more for tough looks than preserving the breed's temperament and working ability.
The UKC website only lists 3 breeders and one of them is in italy.
It's sad and it makes me feel like the breed is going extinct... IDK if i will be able to find what I'm looking for.

When I lived in the city other dogs sometimes would freak out when they saw him and bark their heads off and we would just keep walking and silently judge the other dogs for being so uncivilized.
I would describe the breed as intelligent, athletic, loving and aesthetically beautiful

What an amazing personality he had. What a good dog.
He lived in a magical world where everyone either loved him or feared him. Some people would cross the street just to avoid him lol. He loved people tho.

vladimir22.JPG

photo 78.JPG
image3.png
IMG_20130906_180031.jpg
IMG_1650.JPG

If you want to see a display of some athleticism here is a short video

I am considering a german shepherd if i cannot find a reputable apbt breeder.
Its easy to find a shepherd with 5 generations of healthy pedigree.

·
Super Moderator
2,219 Posts
He's a beautiful boy.

Like I said, I get the impression that APBT people are extremely tight-knit and insular. If you're serious about getting one from a reputable breeder, this may be one of those situations where you need to put yourself out there: talk to the breeders you can find, join breed-specific internet groups, essentially get yourself out and known as someone serious about the breed and with the experience and know-how to handle them. There may well be reasons there aren't many breeders with the UKC - sometimes there's conflict over policies or even just interpersonal politics behind this stuff. I'm not an APBT person at all so I am honestly not sure. The American Dog Breeders Association also comes up in regards to kennel clubs recognizing the APBT, but I literally know nothing about them or how reputable they are, so I recommended the UKC first as I know they have a good reputation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's a beautiful boy.

Like I said, I get the impression that APBT people are extremely tight-knit and insular. If you're serious about getting one from a reputable breeder, this may be one of those situations where you need to put yourself out there: talk to the breeders you can find, join breed-specific internet groups, essentially get yourself out and known as someone serious about the breed and with the experience and know-how to handle them. There may well be reasons there aren't many breeders with the UKC - sometimes there's conflict over policies or even just interpersonal politics behind this stuff. I'm not an APBT person at all so I am honestly not sure. The American Dog Breeders Association also comes up in regards to kennel clubs recognizing the APBT, but I literally know nothing about them or how reputable they are, so I recommended the UKC first as I know they have a good reputation.
Yeah thats why i joined here. doing my best.
facebook groups have a lot of puppies being bought and sold. a few of the breeders i have found seem like they do a lot of inbreeding. i guess thats common in purebreds idk.
makes me nervous though bc i am more interested in a healthy puppy. i would buy one that is not all apbt (american bully or amstaff mix) if it was from verified healthy ancestral lineage of many generations.

Have you looked at American Staffordshire Terrier breeders?
no. what is that breed like? i watched a few youtube videos just now and my takeaway was...
they are less obedient/less eager to please and more rebellious. and shed less.

·
Super Moderator
2,219 Posts
Yeeeeah, any group buying and selling puppies through Facebook - especially now that that's explicitly against Facebook's TOS and will get the group shut down - isn't going to be a bastion of ethical breeding. You'll get a lot of 'pit bull' breeders pumping out dogs 80+ lbs, boasting 'massive heads' and jacking up prices for certain colors and patterns. Extremely far from what an APBT should be. You could try asking around in working dog or weight pull groups even if they're all breed, since I know a lot of APBT do weight pull and similar sports, or reaching out to one of the UKC breeders explaining you're interested in the breed and if they have resources where you can learn more and/or talk to owners.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
There are a lot of dogs dual registered as AKC American Staffordshire Terrier and UKC American Pit Bull Terrier. I would say that they are not nearly as game-bred as an American Dog Breeders Association APBT dog would be.

If you are on Facebook, this group is worth joining. United Kennel Club (UKC) Members I know that a lot of people ask for breeder recommendations there.

Reactions: fosterDog

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
APBT and AST have a lot of overlap. AKC registers AmStaffs and I think breeders may be aiming for a slightly less drivy dog.

Basically, its the same breed as a whole so you would look more to the goals of each breeder to see what their lines are like

·
Registered
508 Posts
the APBT was created through the split of of AST's, it would be easier to find a pet dog out of an AST. Less drive, less chance of dog agression, less energy, etc. APBT's are working dogs and aren't really meant to be pets without extensive mental and physical stimulation

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
While I would not own either an APBT or an AST, you can find more of the latter with records.

It is NOT easy to find a well bred GSD. Oh you will find a lot of GSD's but well bred from a knowledgeable breeder that health tests the dogs and puts working titles on the dogs and understands genetic temperament.. not many as you think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the APBT was created through the split of of AST's, it would be easier to find a pet dog out of an AST. Less drive, less chance of dog agression, less energy, etc. APBT's are working dogs and aren't really meant to be pets without extensive mental and physical stimulation
Yes my alternative dog I've been considering is a european working line german shepherd.
I have encountered several reputable and ethical breeders for those GSD.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The UKC was founded in 1898, and APBT was one of the original 15 breeds recognized. It wasn't until the 1930s that the Am Staff split off from the APBT, and were officially AKC recognized in 1936. There are plenty of pet dogs in both breeds. My Lily is more of an ADBA type pit, and is about the farthest thing from game that you will find.... she would happily sleep on the couch 24/7 if I let her, and is flat out terrified of my 13 pound cat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The APBT and AST are essentially the same breed, however ADBA dogs lean toward more sporty type dogs and gamedog preservation whereas AKC and UKC lean more conformation (but there are absolutely sporting AST and UKC APBT out there).

ADBA dogs are all over the place, but well bred ones are far and few between. Breeders are largely against any health testing and tend to breed very tight to preserve bloodlines. There's nothing wrong with linebreeding when done right and proper genetic panels and xrays are done, but this isn't always the case. I am a big fan of Seven Sins APBT, she produces amazing dogs but as someone said earlier APBT breeders tend to be very tight knit and unless you really know what you're getting into then it may be hard getting a pup from a reputable breeder in this breed.

You're better off looking for an AST breeder, I know of some breeders producing excellent dogs, Esoteric comes to mind. I don't believe he produces all that often but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The APBT and AST are essentially the same breed, however ADBA dogs lean toward more sporty type dogs and gamedog preservation whereas AKC and UKC lean more conformation (but there are absolutely sporting AST and UKC APBT out there).

ADBA dogs are all over the place, but well bred ones are far and few between. Breeders are largely against any health testing and tend to breed very tight to preserve bloodlines. There's nothing wrong with linebreeding when done right and proper genetic panels and xrays are done, but this isn't always the case. I am a big fan of Seven Sins APBT, she produces amazing dogs but as someone said earlier APBT breeders tend to be very tight knit and unless you really know what you're getting into then it may be hard getting a pup from a reputable breeder in this breed.

You're better off looking for an AST breeder, I know of some breeders producing excellent dogs, Esoteric comes to mind. I don't believe he produces all that often but I could be mistaken.
I have heard good things about Seven Sins but I don't know how to contact them.
All I've seen is this old thread with an inactive account.

I know what I'm getting into with an APBT, like I said I had one for over 10 years.
I'm confident even the most discerning breeder would want me to have one of their puppies.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It has been some time since I have been to it but they do have a website. I am friends with her on Facebook and that is how I have contacted her in the past in regards to my future interest in a pup off her lines.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Join uncensored opinions of breeders on FB, they can help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It has been some time since I have been to it but they do have a website. I am friends with her on Facebook and that is how I have contacted her in the past in regards to my future interest in a pup off her lines.
I have been unable to locate her on facebook. Could you send me the contact information? Thanks!

·
Banned
14 Posts
If you live anywhere near Chicago, I have a guy...he's somewhat of a backyard breeder but he produces very beautiful pitties/american staffies that are also very dog friendly. My dog is very friendly towards all animals. They're also perfect size - typically 60-80 lbs very muscular

I wouldn't worry about health problems. That's a very healthy breed in general

Attachments

·
Banned
14 Posts
The UKC was founded in 1898, and APBT was one of the original 15 breeds recognized. It wasn't until the 1930s that the Am Staff split off from the APBT, and were officially AKC recognized in 1936. There are plenty of pet dogs in both breeds. My Lily is more of an ADBA type pit, and is about the farthest thing from game that you will find.... she would happily sleep on the couch 24/7 if I let her, and is flat out terrified of my 13 pound cat.

I would say the person you're responding to is mostly correct. American staffies are much better dogs as pets and also much better looking IMO. They're more calm, less hyper, way less animal aggressive

American staffies are fantastic dogs

the one I have I think is American staffy mixed with lab

1 - 20 of 27 Posts