Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how you keep your dog exercised while living in an apartment? I just adopted a 1 year old chiuhahua mix and he's pretty mellow. He is crated at night and when I go to work. So far he has settled in pretty great. With him being crated and not having access to a yard, what are some suggestions to help him get some energy out? He gets walks several times a day. I also ride horses, so he comes with me to the barn and is off the leash to wander around. I also take him with me for car rides and running errands when I can. Any other fun suggestions?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Argh! I just hit the "reply to thread" button and deleted my whole post! Hate that!

*Deep breath*

Okay, so I adopted a 1-year old dog myself a little over a year ago. He's much larger than a Chi (60 lbs) and has a ton of energy so he definitely needs to get out of our apartment a lot! He gets 1-2 walks every day, but he needs running often. So we also take him to a huge local cemetery where no one has been buried for a hundred years and so it's always deserted. He gets to run around off-leash and play in the stream that runs through it...it's great fun.

We also take Hobbes hiking a lot...we live in upstate NY so there's lots of opportunity. If you're not around any nature/hiking/woods this would be more difficult for I guess. In the winter we take him to a golf course to run around sometimes. Lots of people bring their dogs in the winter when there's no one playing golf and great fun is had by all.

We used to do dog parks sometimes, but they can be hit or miss. Especially with a small dog, I'd probably say approach parks with caution if at all. (Unless there's a small dog area at the park where they won't get run down by an overenthusiastic large dog).

Post pics - I'd love to see the new addition to your family!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Congrats! It sounds like your pup has a great new life :) We live in a townhouse without a yard and we do a lot of hiking, walking and frisbee/ball. Right now Colby is on limited exercise so we've been doing a lot of tricks and obedience training inside to try to drain some of her energy.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Lots of walks. Offleash time at the dog beach or enclosed basketball/tennis court. Lots of daily training and play time. Dog sports like agility. Doggy daycare when we can't take him to work with us. Set up playdates with friends dogs.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I grew up in Switzerland and almost everybody lives in apartments. People take their dogs for longer walks once or twice a day. Our dogs were little (2 Dachshund mixes, a Stafforshire Bullterrier) and my mom used to do two 20-30 min. off leash walks a day, plus 2 smaller up the road, pee a couple of times deals. I live in a townhouse with a small but not fenced in yard but we live a 15 min. drive away from a local off leash fresh water pond and take our pooch there every day for a 45 min. walk. That is how she gets her energy out (she is a 13 lb. terrier). She is not crated ever but usually lounges about, so I know she isn't antsy. She does on occasion play with the kids as well, usually tug of war or chasing after a ball.

·
Registered
332 Posts
We play fetch a lot indoors, we take long walks early morning and late evening. Too hot right now to do anything during the middle of the day. We play hide and seek, and hide her kibble all over the house. And she chases the cats. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts