Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
We have a vet who comes here for a weekend once a year, so I brought Dexter on Friday. I'm trying to not to be too annoyed by the fact it cost me 101$ for a 15 minutes consults, but hey!

He was still having flat worms. Apparently, Heartguard Plus is not effective for those. She gave me the right anti-parasites and said that'll help with the diarrhea. Other than that, she could not believe how close I was to losing him in february. Said she has rarely seen such a strong dog in her career:)

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I do not know if you can get them at a regular pet shop, the vet could give them to you. I buy my stock online though, I believe most of the big name sites like KVvet, dr foster and smith, petedge etc should have them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Haha! We had this a few days ago... and we (after pills from the vet were not working) got the advice to fast our dog for 12hours (starting from the morning - afternoon, her last feeding being at 6h00 the night before) to give her stomach a rest. If your pup/dog is sensitive to de-hydration, then do not fast from water. I did give her water regardless - I found it hard to fast her. But it gave her stomach a break.

Then I was advised to cook 1 cup of white rice with 2 cups of water with a chicken breast. The chicken breast brings a good taste to the rice. The first day I was only to feed her rice. I did - she loved it. The next day I fed her the same thing three times a day - with the exception that I added the chicken breast by shredding it up with my fingers. I also clean her feeding/water bowl regularly just to make sure that it is not causing anything.

Anyway, it worked great. She is doing perfectly fine on her normal diet now. I kept this going until her poo was solid and she is perfect now.

Good luck!

p.s signs of dehydration: if you pick up the skin at the shoulder blade and it falls back supplely, it's fine.
Her gums should be bubble gum pink, and when you put pressure on a gum it should go yellow and back to pink.
Dry tongue
Excessive panting

I do not know if you can get them at a regular pet shop, the vet could give them to you. I buy my stock online though, I believe most of the big name sites like KVvet, dr foster and smith, petedge etc should have them.

I just checked out your quotes. You seem to be a fan of Once Upon A Time. Any chance you know when the new episodes are coming out?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I just checked out your quotes. You seem to be a fan of Once Upon A Time. Any chance you know when the new episodes are coming out?
Lol, yes I am. I have a feeling it will be october, as they start filming late july early august. It could be late september though. Nobody really knows when abc will start their fall season, but abc lol.

OP: Like I said endosorb is very good thing to have on hand, even though this time is a parasite issue.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah, fasting helped. It stopped being all liquid and nasty. The flat worms were not helping though, so getting rid of them will also help for the reminder. Although the powder to get rid of the flat worms is definitely NOT making it awesome for a few days. Poor thing.

And we're doing good with hydration, although we've been having a few random extremely hot days. I just drove 2 hours to buy a cheap plastic fan (50$ ftl) so Dexter would be more comfortable in the house and he's deadly scared of it. He refuses to enter the house if it's running. Silly dog.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts