Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Recently found a stray German shepherd and what I think and what other said she's about a year and a half year old. I got her registered and everything shes about 45 iunno if that's considered underweight. She a sweet dog ! ever since i took her in she's like in love with me haha . I would like to ask for help on what I should know about German shepherds . such as what I shouldn't do and do . how are they like? are they protective of their owner? any kind of information would be amazing ! thank you !

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Since she's an adult, you can just get to know her to see what she's like :). Breed generalizations don't always apply to every individual dog. She might not act anything like a "proper" GSD!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
There are lots of GSD experts on the Forum, that I'm sure will speak up with specifics. Meanwhile some generalities:
1. Excellent dogs ! GSDs tend to be very intelligent and eager to learn... you can start training her now.
2. Then can be skittish with strangers, so socialization with lots and lots of people is important, as well as lots of dogs and animals.
3. They have a strong bite, so Bite Inhibition is important, even if she is gentle.
4. Start getting her used to noises, and loud noise, just in case she is thunder phobic.
5. Walk her at least 30 min. a day ... twice a day is better.
6. People may jump on me for this one ... some GSDs will eat when they are hungry, then stop. If you notice that she leaves food in her bowl, try to keep a little food in it all the time, as long as you see that she's not getting fat, there are no vermin around to attract, and as long as the free feeding doesn't interfere with her potty schedule.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are lots of GSD experts on the Forum, that I'm sure will speak up with specifics. Meanwhile some generalities:
1. Excellent dogs ! GSDs tend to be very intelligent and eager to learn... you can start training her now.
2. Then can be skittish with strangers, so socialization with lots and lots of people is important, as well as lots of dogs and animals.
3. They have a strong bite, so Bite Inhibition is important, even if she is gentle.
4. Start getting her used to noises, and loud noise, just in case she is thunder phobic.
5. Walk her at least 30 min. a day ... twice a day is better.
6. People may jump on me for this one ... some GSDs will eat when they are hungry, then stop. If you notice that she leaves food in her bowl, try to keep a little food in it all the time, as long as you see that she's not getting fat, there are no vermin around to attract, and as long as the free feeding doesn't interfere with her potty schedule.
thanks for the general tips ! I'll keep this in mind I still have alot to learn. I've been noticing her eating habits she leave the food in the bowl and doesn't have intrest in eating . I hope GSD experts will jump on this I don't wait to make the learn any bad habits or anything bad at all .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts