Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next year or so we're planning on taking a trip down to Arizona and the Grand Canyon. I looked online and saw that dogs are allowed in many places above the rim, and there's even a dogsitting kennel there, apparently.

Has anyone here taken their dogs to the Grand Canyon? How did you and your pups like it? What kind of things did you all do and where would you recommend to go?

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I haven't taken a dog to the Grand Canyon, nor would I want to. Hiking into the canyon even a little ways, taking a bus tour to some of the farther points along the rim, visiting the museums and interpretive centers, viewing the Native American ruins, and eating dinner at a lodge restaurant are all part of the experience of going to the Grand Canyon. I would rather not have to worry about my dog's safety and comfort while doing these things.

A dog-friendly vacation is one thing. But I've never really understood the idea of trying to fit a dog into an existing vacation. I see no reason to bring a dog to the Grand Canyon if it's going to spend most of its time in the kennel.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Usually when we take trips we either camp or hike/walk a lot outdoors. We weren't planning on leaving her in the kennel, that's why asked where other people who took their dogs there went.
A dog-friendly vacation is one thing. But I've never really understood the idea of trying to fit a dog into an existing vacation
I have to disagre with you, because I personally enjoy integrating my dog into whatever I want to do -- that's the main fun of having a small dog. That's why I made this thread in the first place -- if other people don't recommend the Grand Canyon as a dog-friendly place, we will go somewhere else. I was just curious as to what other people's experiences were there.

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
I've hiked into the canyon, camped part way out and climbed out the next day. I think that's the way to experience the canyon (though I believe it would kill me today) and I would neither take a dog down there (even if it's allowed) or carry one.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the site says:

Pets must be leashed at all times. Leashed pets are allowed on trails above the rim, Mather Campground, Desert View Campground, Trailer Village and throughout the developed areas.
We probably won't go inside the canyon itself, but I figured camping and light hiking on the rim would maybe be plausible?

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Dogs are not allowed to hike in the National Park below the rim. They are restricted to the Camp Ground and parking lots and developed areas only above the rim and must be leashed. There is a kennel to board your dog during the day. Dogs are not allowed on the Shuttle buses.

The Desert View Campground does not allow you to leave your dog unattended.

On the North rim dogs are only allowed on the Bridle path above the rim.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Most of the Western National parks do not allow pets in any of the facilities other than campgrounds, and are not allowed on any of the trails, even on leashes. Only service animals are allowed.

While I find this a sad thing, I also understand the fragile environment and the lack of responsibility a lot of pet owners have with regard to waste pick up, dogs interacting with wild life (barking and chasing) and other park visitors.

I would love to take my dog out west with me, but to do so means utilizing national forests and not visiting National Parks other than to drive thru (which is not a lot different than watching a movie IMO).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts