Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,834 Posts
As far as I know, there is no connection between increased lipoma development and Proin. It is, however, fairly common for older dogs to start developing lipomas, most of which are completely benign and never cause problems unless they're impacting mobility. Lipomas are not really cancer. Some dogs develop more lipomas than others. We once had a Golden/Lab mix that was covered in tiny little lipomas when he was around 8/9 years old. My current dog is 7 and has a lemon sized lipoma on his neck, but nothing else at the moment. We had an Aussie/BC mix who had no lumps at an older age we could detect. None of them were on any medication besides their parasite preventative.

So of course speak to your vet about it, but developing fatty tumors is often just very dependent on a dog's genetics. Labs are one of the breeds that tend to be more prone to lipomas, so your pup may have developed them whether she was on Proin or not. Liposarcoma is very rare, and most dogs will not develop it even if they're covered in lumps! If your vet is not concerned and has tested the lumps, then I wouldn't be concerned. My vet also told me there is no reason to remove a lipoma unless it is in a place that causes discomfort or impacts mobility, though if the dog has to go under for a different reason anyway, they'll remove lipomas if the owner wants to.

Also note, even if your dog did develop liposarcoma, catching it early can improve prognosis. Some liposarcomas might only require surgery to remove, and your dog will have many more happy years with you. Only you and your vet can come to a conclusion in that rare occurrence, but developing cancer is not a death sentence, even for a large older dog!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts