Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m starting to wonder if cancer development may be a side effect of proin -
Sunny 8 year old lab/boxer mix - 93lbs - active
Started proin at 18weeks for spay incontinence daily - the only side effect she seems to have is more excessive panting and heavier breathing but nothing labored or anything like that. She’s been breathing like this since she was a puppy.

This past 8 months we have noticed lumps popping up all over on her. Previously she had 2 lumps and we had one larger lump that seemed to be getting bigger tested on her stomach (fatty tumor) and vet said it was fine unless we wanted to just do surgery to remove it there was nothing else to do. Because of proin and her size and age we chose not to do surgery unless absolutely necessary as there is a possibility she could die under anesthesia.

considering none of her lumps are hurting her ability to move and the treatments for cancerous lumps are harsh especially for a large breed dog at her age, we are choosing not to get any new lumps tested as we know what the answers for treatment will be.

But I simply want to know if anyone else has experienced this or has seen any literature on cancer in dogs on proin long term.

this dog is incredibly healthy outside of her incontinence. High quality food and treats, lots of activity and adventure. She’s heavy but she’s lean. Athletic.Just to see her have about 12 lumps now over the last year and a half is concerning for me and I’m not sure if the proin is causing it to happen faster than it would normally (if at all)

we have tried incurin and des for her and neither of them worked. So changing the med isn’t an option. We’ve come to terms with what’s happening to her but I just wanted to see others experiences.
Dog Vertebrate Carnivore Collar Working animal

·
Super Moderator
3,834 Posts
As far as I know, there is no connection between increased lipoma development and Proin. It is, however, fairly common for older dogs to start developing lipomas, most of which are completely benign and never cause problems unless they're impacting mobility. Lipomas are not really cancer. Some dogs develop more lipomas than others. We once had a Golden/Lab mix that was covered in tiny little lipomas when he was around 8/9 years old. My current dog is 7 and has a lemon sized lipoma on his neck, but nothing else at the moment. We had an Aussie/BC mix who had no lumps at an older age we could detect. None of them were on any medication besides their parasite preventative.

So of course speak to your vet about it, but developing fatty tumors is often just very dependent on a dog's genetics. Labs are one of the breeds that tend to be more prone to lipomas, so your pup may have developed them whether she was on Proin or not. Liposarcoma is very rare, and most dogs will not develop it even if they're covered in lumps! If your vet is not concerned and has tested the lumps, then I wouldn't be concerned. My vet also told me there is no reason to remove a lipoma unless it is in a place that causes discomfort or impacts mobility, though if the dog has to go under for a different reason anyway, they'll remove lipomas if the owner wants to.

Also note, even if your dog did develop liposarcoma, catching it early can improve prognosis. Some liposarcomas might only require surgery to remove, and your dog will have many more happy years with you. Only you and your vet can come to a conclusion in that rare occurrence, but developing cancer is not a death sentence, even for a large older dog!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Like Lillith I've never heard of lipomas as a side effect of Proin, and I do know some dogs are just prone to them. My first Rottie developed quite a few and probably started about the age of your dog. I had a needle biopsy done on each one as I discovered it. If all that shows is fatty cells, you can be fairly sure it's a lipoma. That girl wasn't on Proin and 2 that were never had fatty lumps even in old age. The Rottie I have now has one I discovered a couple years ago and hasn't developed more. She's 7 now. A friend had a mixed breed male dog that was covered with lipomas starting at a pretty young age.

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,282 Posts
Boxers are also a breed that are prone to lipomas. I agree with everything mentioned above. My Moose-dog had one on his lower eyelid, fortunately it was very slow growing and we didn't need to remove it. My golden had a MASSIVE one on her back. At 13 yrs, the vet said it needed to come off. She had stitches from her left hind knee, up the leg, and over the hip to the right side of her back. It was massive underneath - surprised the vet at the size. She lived another 3-1/2 years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts