Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother got me a dog breed book for Christmas and while it's not the best (it doesn't have many popular breeds), I still like it. But there's one dog that I have never heard of before and I've heard of a lot of breeds. It's called the Harz Fox and when I try to look him up, I can only find a picture. Here is their picture: http://img2.photographersdirect.com/img/19309/wm/pd2084942.jpg

This is what the dog book says about them:
Also: Harzer Fuchs
History: This dog is a symbol of the nearly extinct old German herding dogs. Survived through state support almost exclusively through in the old East Germany. Since 1989 the study group for the breeding of old German herding dogs have sought to assure the continuance of this breed. Further old German herding dogs include the Westerwalder Fuchs or Kuhhund, Galbbacke, Stumper, Strobel, Black Old German, and Tiger.
Character: Like all herding breeds, this dog is adaptable, easy to learn, family oriented, and watchful, and it has plenty of endurance.
Living Conditions: The Harz Fox is a good companion and family dog, like other herding dogs, if it gets enough exercise and can satisfy its will to work.
Health: A naturally healthy dog with a very good inbred disposition.
Appropriate For: Beginners.

Quick Info:
FIC Group: Not Recognized
Country of Origin: Germany
Size: 20-24 inches (50-60cm)
Weight: 55-66 pounds (25-30kg)
Fur: Double coat with undercoat
Color: Reddish brown
Life Expectancy: 12-14 years

Then it has stars to indicate if the breed is good or not (with the lowest stars being the best).
Training--1 star*
City--5 stars*****
Family--3 stars***
Care--2 stars**
Activity Level--5 stars*****

I know I just did everything the book says, but I'd like to know more. So has anyone heard of this breed, the Harz Fox, before??

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Yes I have heard of them, but don't know much about them, other than I don't think they are much known outside of parts of Germany.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Yes I've heard of them. The second link Gally posted, I was already familiar with. If you see here:
Die Hütehundschläge
You'll see all the breeds that belong in the category so called 'Altdeutsche Hütehunde'. It basicaly comes down to old German herding breeds, and one of them is the Harzer Fuchs. I hope my German doesn't fail me big time here, but it roughly translates to 'resin fox' (you know, from a tree), which could have something to do with the color of the dog. The Fuchs is the most popular of the bunch, along with the Schafpudel (literally: 'sheep poodle') that is gaining increasing popularity. I have a Schafpudel in my neighborhood. Altdeutsche Hütehunde are pretty rare.

(rough) Translation of the small text block in the link:

The numbers of sheep herds are dwindling and so are the numbers of the old herding breeds. The dogs are now almost solely found with the herds. The AAH tries to maintain the typical characteristics of the breeds by finding good mates. For the shepherds, the important criteria when selecting breeding dogs are character and appearance. They've managed to keep the dogs' nature that of a true old German herder: unconditionally willing to work, resistant to all weather conditions, responsive, strong, adaptive, dependable, alert, healthy and long lived.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies you three and information! Gally--thanks for the three websites, they look very interesting. And yup, I'll definitely need a translator for two of them, hehe.
Avie--thanks for the info and the translation of the website. It's always fun to look up info about dogs, so thanks guys!! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts