Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was at Petco today and I was looking around, there was a Russian Tortoise that was clawing at the tank and I think it was confused at the plants that were located outside its tank. See, my therapist told me that she was in petco once an a red-eared-slider once got too confused about this fake plant outside its tank and it thought that was food despite food was right behind it in its tank/cage and the turtle wanted to eat the plant outside, so it kept banging its head up against the glass and my therapist was afraid that it would get some kind of head damage!

So, when I was there I saw the Russian Tortoise flip over and it was really scared when it was on its back because even if i don't know a lot about reptiles - i do know that any animal while on its back is in a defenseless state and feels like it should play dead, so that's what i saw the Tortoise do. I didn't look funny to me. I was unhappy with the employee's response - that he said "Haha, they do this everyday, all the time! No worries."

I was mad so I wanted to ask people online what to do. If I have to go back there and buy that Tortoise I would but it was almost 200$... I can't afford that.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Larger tortoises can suffocate if they flip over. And any tortoise can overheat or get hypothermic if they flip over in an area that's too hot or too cold, since they can't get away. That's why tortoises shouldn't be kept in glass-sided enclosures (or, if you have to, you can cover the glass with paper so they can't see out) :mad:. But pet stores are notorious for not knowing much about the animals they sell :(.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts