Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if any of these things are bad for dogs to eat?...i know about the chocolate, onion, grapes/raisins, certain plants, etc. but don't recall ever seeing anything on these....cucumbers, mushrooms (the kind from stores), lettuce, green peppers....Titch loves all of them, along w/ oranges, apples, bananas, carrots (and the list goes on).....

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I hope not because I feed those things to my dogs all the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sure about the things you have listed here, but I have heard that garlic can be harmful. I would be on the safe side, and research first though.

Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We feed our dogs all those things as well, aside from the mushrooms (I don't like them so they aren't in the house lol)
I did read somewhere however that the seeds from apples can be harmful as they contain small amounts of arsenic I think it was? I'm guessing that's more for smaller dogs or in huge quantities since ours eat whole apples from time to time and we've never had a problem.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
if any of these things are bad for dogs to eat?...i know about the chocolate, onion, grapes/raisins, certain plants, etc. but don't recall ever seeing anything on these....cucumbers, mushrooms (the kind from stores), lettuce, green peppers....Titch loves all of them, along w/ oranges, apples, bananas, carrots (and the list goes on).....
According to my previous vet (Holistic) the things you specifically mentioned are ok. The only issue I have is the lettuce... what kind? Icebox might have too much water and cause loose stool, same for the cuke. I give these guys kale. I suppose in moderation like watermelon, they would be fine.

I'm not sure about mushrooms either .... I've never seen them on any 'bad' list.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'll tell you one thing. I gave Max a small piece of cantelope once and he had the nastiest BM ever. So that is permanently scratched off my list of dog-approved fruits & veggies. May be related to that issue Renoman was talking about though.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I know SOME mushrooms are on the bad list, so I just avoid them altogether. Just easier for me.

I believe Apple seeds can mess up their system pretty good. I give Marge a crunch of lettuce or apple on occasion though, never tried pepper.. maybe cause I don't like them :p

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would stay away from mushrooms. I'm sure not all types are bad but just to be on the safe side. One lady lost two shih-tzus from eating mushrooms.

Also don't feed your dog the seeds, pits or cores from any fruit. It's okay to give apples, watermelon etc. but just not the seeds or cores.

Garlic is okay in small amounts.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Garlic is ok in small amounts, but many brands of kibble use garlic in their formulas; I'd stay away from it just to make sure you're in the safe zone.

·
Registered
714 Posts
i know carrots are good, they are great when you freeze them for puppies that are teething!
bananas help with i do believe its a zinc deficency.

but to be on the safe side i'm sure your vet will have a complete list for you!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Here you go :)

Foods to Avoid or Restrict

While most foods safe for people are also safe for dogs, there are a few notable exceptions. Here are some foods you should not feed your dog:

* Onions: can cause a form of anemia. Reaction is dose-dependent and will build up over time. Small amounts are not harmful, but there’s no reason to feed them.
* Grapes and raisins: cause kidney failure in a few dogs for unknown reasons.I have known puppies that have died from eating them
* Macadamia nuts: toxic to dogs, even in very small amounts.
* Raw salmon, trout and related andromadous fish from the Pacific Northwest (California to Alaska): can carry a parasite that causes Salmon Poisoning in dogs. Cooking will destroy the parasite. Note that canned salmon is cooked and therefore safe.
* Chocolate and caffeine: toxic to dogs.
* Xylitol, a natural sweetener, is toxic to dogs. It is found in some water additives, such as C.E.T. AquaDent and Petrodex Breath Spray For Pets, made by Virbac Animal Health, BreathaLyser Plus and AQuala, made by imRex, Inc.. It is also found in many human products, including sugar-free gum, mints and children's vitamins. See New Findings on the Effects of Xylitol Ingestion in Dogs for more information.

The following foods should be restricted:

* Garlic: beneficial in doses up to 1 small clove per 20 lbs of body weight, but can cause anemia if given in larger quantities.
* Avocado: fruits of Guatemalan species are mildly toxic to dogs, causing digestive upset, while fruits of Mexican species are safe. Note that the popular Hass variety is a hybrid and toxicity level is unknown. Pits and rinds of all species can be toxic.
* Cruciferous vegetables are very healthy, but can suppress thyroid function if large amounts are fed raw. Feed in limited amounts, or cook first. The cruciferous family includes include arugula, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, bok choy, cabbage, kale, collard greens, mustard greens, turnips, turnip greens, watercress, rutabaga, daikon, kohlrabi.
* Spinach and swiss chard should also be fed in limited amounts due to their high oxalate content. Cooking removes some of the oxalates, though in this case you should not feed the water, as that’s where the oxalates go.
* Potatoes (the regular kind, not sweet potatoes), tomatoes, peppers (all kinds) and eggplant may aggravate arthritis pain, but are otherwise fine to feed. Grains and starchy veggies may also aggravate arthritis and other forms of inflammation.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanx RRM, for that list....i don't have to worry about the peppers w/ arthritis as he doesn't have any of that problem....

and thanx everyone else for your input....

·
Registered
28 Posts
What is a good food or treat to give your dog if he is anemic? :confused: but not harmful to epileptics?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we can add radishes to the list for Titch....so, let's see...he eats apples, bananas, oranges, managed to get 1 grape at work one night, lettuce, mushrooms, cucumbers, peppers, carrots, radishes.....i think i have a very strange dog...he's going vegetarian on me (and i'm not at all:rolleyes:)....:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts