Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is in toy poodle mode and so im looking for breeder advice. This guy's website just seems like a puppy mill or a scam. Just wondering if my gut is right. We have no experience in this arena and need a little help.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Is this them? http://hectorpoodlepuppies.com/index.php If so, then I am seriously underwhelmed. They talk about breeding to the standard and for health, but I'm not seeing anything like registered names, pedigrees, or health testing results.

Have you visited the Poodle Club of America website? They have a list of members breeders. Also, going to some local shows, and talking to people there is a good way to start your breeder search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this them? http://hectorpoodlepuppies.com/index.php If so, then I am seriously underwhelmed. They talk about breeding to the standard and for health, but I'm not seeing anything like registered names, pedigrees, or health testing results.

Have you visited the Poodle Club of America website? They have a list of members breeders. Also, going to some local shows, and talking to people there is a good way to start your breeder search.
Yes that’s them and we too are underwhelmed. The site seems devoid of pertinent info. The idea of a mail order puppy just seems far too risky to me. Was just hoping someone had heard of them. They did respond saying they ship dogs 2-3 times per week. Kind of tells me they are a puppy mill just pumping them out. Scary.
We did visit Poodle Club Of America but the breeders are limited and no one has gotten back to us. Frustrating.
So shows? Never thought of that. Wouldn't even know where to look. Guess we could Google “Dog shows near me” lol.

·
Registered
173 Posts
https://infodog.com/show/UES/default.htm?_p=Y - lists pretty much all dog events you can think of. You can search for "Poodle (toy)" in the breed category, then add in the number of miles you're willing to travel, your zip code, and you'll see the shows that have toy poodles entered within that distance in the near future. If you click on the result, it will tell you the exact show date.

I do often refer people to the group "Fact or Fiction: Uncensored Opinions of Breeders" on Facebook. It can be a helpful place to find breeder suggestions.

Finding people via google searches can be difficult, because breeders usually aren't formatting their websites in the ways that make them come up first in a search. Those that do show up high in the search history are often putting a lot of effort into that ranking. Most breeders who are involved in their breed are more likely leaning on their reputation through in person networking than high search ranking to connect with puppy homes, if that makes sense.

Whatever breeder you do find, I would suggest that you make sure they're doing all minimum recommended health testing via the breed club (OFA patella screening, DNA test for PRA, and annual screenings by a veterinary optomologist.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
https://infodog.com/show/UES/default.htm?_p=Y - lists pretty much all dog events you can think of. You can search for "Poodle (toy)" in the breed category, then add in the number of miles you're willing to travel, your zip code, and you'll see the shows that have toy poodles entered within that distance in the near future. If you click on the result, it will tell you the exact show date.

I do often refer people to the group "Fact or Fiction: Uncensored Opinions of Breeders" on Facebook. It can be a helpful place to find breeder suggestions.

Finding people via google searches can be difficult, because breeders usually aren't formatting their websites in the ways that make them come up first in a search. Those that do show up high in the search history are often putting a lot of effort into that ranking. Most breeders who are involved in their breed are more likely leaning on their reputation through in person networking than high search ranking to connect with puppy homes, if that makes sense.

Whatever breeder you do find, I would suggest that you make sure they're doing all minimum recommended health testing via the breed club (OFA patella screening, DNA test for PRA, and annual screenings by a veterinary optomologist.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Some good info there. The networking thing is what ive been thinking too. Forums have historically been a great source of info for me in whatever im into at the time. This is me networking i guess lol.
I did find that the Poodle Club of America has a section broken down by state. Found our state and they have a breeder referral area. Sent a message there requesting some info. In the meantime we will take your advice and see what happens there.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Breeding Toy Poodles can be tricky. Develop a list of contacts. Experienced (Show Dog) breeders know one another from State to State. So be sure to collect various opinions. As well as from the clients (and competition). Find out why some people passed on an opportunity, and why they walked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts