Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to bike and prefer it to walking. I'd love to take my dog with me on my rides. I have a year and a half old Cocker Spaniel so I think he could keep up with me for a short 2-3 mile ride. My worry is that he'll either run into the bike or worse go off on a scent and tip me over. He will walk very well on a loose leash, but the bike is an unknown.

I'm looking at two bike leash products. One puts the dog out to the side and the other puts the dog directly behind the bike. I'm not sure I like the latter as it could have the affect of dragging the dog but it would also make it more difficult for the dog to inadvertently knock the bike over. Does anyone have any experience with this type of product.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
We just use the regular leash when taking the boys for a bike ride. I had the same worry before we started taking them, but of your dog is good at heeling, it shouldn't be a problem. The dogs automatically adjust themselves once the bike starts moving. They make sure they keep their distance and we have 100% of their attention, THEY dont want to get run over so they focus on what they are doing. :D I love bike rides with them. The only fear you should have, is running over trees and poles. :eek: I must've slammed on trees on the first couple of times we went bike riding. I was focusing on NOT running over my dog and failed to see we're already off the sidewalk and approaching poles and trees.

They heel on our left side when we go for bike rides. I feel its better that way. But do as you please. ENJOY your bike rides!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I tried it and almsot killed myself. Maybe if your dog is perfect it might work, But I would never suggest anyone try to bike with a dog. Let us knowhow it goes and how many stiches you needed.. ;)

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Oh, it's not that bad... But I do recommend starting with just one dog.

Of course, I'm not trying to ride side by side. I have no experience with those setups.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried it and almsot killed myself. Maybe if your dog is perfect it might work, But I would never suggest anyone try to bike with a dog. Let us knowhow it goes and how many stiches you needed.. ;)
Yeah, my dad tried it once with a full grown, untrained lab. Needless to say, it didn't work out well for him. He was not a happy camper at all.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
like I said, if your dog is good at heeling, bike riding will be alot of fun. JUST DONT BRING A CAMERA with you when you do go for bike rides. I was dumb enough to try to take pictures and in the process, slammed on a big tree. My dog was safe, as he was able to see that we were approaching a big tree. I wasn't. :D

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
like I said, if your dog is good at heeling, bike riding will be alot of fun. JUST DONT BRING A CAMERA with you when you do go for bike rides. I was dumb enough to try to take pictures and in the process, slammed on a big tree. My dog was safe, as he was able to see that we were approaching a big tree. I wasn't. :D
I can just see the wheels turning in the dogs head. "Does this fool know they're going to smash into a tree? Do they care? Will they still be able to feed me afterwards?"

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I bike with Sadie fairly often. It's harder because she's so small. I went slow at first and praised her for staying on the side and she figured it out pretty quick. Left turns (she's on the left) took some practice. The last time we went she just dragged her butt the whole time so we haven't ridden in a while.

Oh and I ride in the street so there's room for us side by side and no risk of trees, but I live in a neighborhood where I can do that.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I use a walkydog attachment for Allie, as she doesn't seem to understand staying away from the bike. This keeps her from running into it. Lloyd just runs next to it on the other side while I hold his leash. He is really good about keeping position.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts