Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocky is now a year and 4 months... and he still chases his tail at least once every day or two.

Does anyone else have a tail chaser this old?

I really really hope it's not the sign of an understimulated dog... I don't think I can give him any more stimulation physically or mentally.

·
Registered
962 Posts
My female is going on 7 years, and still does spin arounds, like chasing her tail. She does it when she is excited because she is about to get fed, or go outside for fun, and I am putting my boots on, she just has so much energy and has to do some thing cause she cannot sit still and wait.:) Nothing to worry about, it is like having fun.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My female is going on 7 years, and still does spin arounds, like chasing her tail. She does it when she is excited because she is about to get fed, or go outside for fun, and I am putting my boots on, she just has so much energy and has to do some thing cause she cannot sit still and wait.:) Nothing to worry about, it is like having fun.
Um.... this is 10:30 at night, right before bed. Today his activity has consisted of:

5 mile run at 5:30 am.
3 mile hike carrying 30% of his body weight in a pack. midday
1.5 mile evening walk
3 sessions of 30 minutes each doing focus work
several ball throws and tug sessions

and he's still chasing his tail :(

Oh, and if you've never seen a curly tailed dog chase it's tail, it's quite the sight to be seen.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Oh, and if you've never seen a curly tailed dog chase it's tail, it's quite the sight to be seen.
LOL, that IS a funny sight! I have a dog, Tj - 10mo (almost 11mo), that will chase his tail still. It's just a game, I think it's cute. Now what's funny - I have a cat who really chases her tail, big time! She'll chase her tail clear across the room, seriously entertaining. :D

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I had a rescue that chased to much so when she started I would redirected her ASAP. It finally stopped after a couple months.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Lloyd very occasionaly would chase his tail the first, probably . . . 6 months we had him. I don't recall having seen him do it in a long time now though. I do have a cat who will chase her tail if she is stressed or bored. If I see her tail chasing I know I have to up my time with her (clicker training, playing with toys).

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Rocky tends to do it late at night, just before bedtime. He really has a habit of getting really fired up right before bed.

I wonder if it's cause he knows cuddle time is coming. I usually lay in bed with him while I read for a while. He's never really been much of a cuddler except right at bedtime so I wouldn't have thought it that much of a reinforcer.

Weird dogs are weird.

I've never seen a dog ever chase its tail. I don't know why. Odd.
I'll see if I can get a video of Rocky doing it tonight.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Sioux was a tail chaser... until we added the other sled dogs. My last Malamute was a chaser, and the two I have now rarely do it. Definitely more entertaining with a curly tail dog. Especially when it ends with a barrel roll.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts