Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is their tempermant like? Can they be left outside during the day (in a big backyard)? Do they get along with cats (we have 3)? No children yet, so that's not a concern. We are highly motivated to train as much as needed and as soon as possible. We have been looking at a 5 mth old from the local spca shelter. Have no idea what his parents were like.

Any info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
What is their tempermant like? Can they be left outside during the day (in a big backyard)? Do they get along with cats (we have 3)? No children yet, so that's not a concern. We are highly motivated to train as much as needed and as soon as possible. We have been looking at a 5 mth old from the local spca shelter. Have no idea what his parents were like.

Any info would be much appreciated.
Personally I think both breeds listed are great dogs! BUT, since I am having issues with my new dog and my cats, I'd be really careful in that department. My honest advice would be to find a dog that is either young enough to be very well socialized to cats OR a dog that the shelter knows has lived with and gotten along with cats. And still don't trust them to be alone together...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your dog a puppy? We've got 2, eight yr old cats and 1, one yr old (who I think would get along well w/a puppy).

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Agreed on the cat issue - it's a really hard one to deal with!! I'd also recommend a young puppy, or a dog from an actual foster home that has cats (not a shelter, I've been lied to regarding cat suitability before).

I don't leave either of my dogs alone with the cats when I'm not home, or asleep. Willow is the most obsessive, fixated cat chaser I've EVER seen, and Bandit is the most polite dog around cats I've ever seen, but they both live under that same rule. (Willow takes it a step further and has to be directly supervised at all times when she is in the house.) It only takes a minute for an accident to occur and it's just not worth that...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
No, he's not a puppy. He's already two years old (roughly). He's a love and totally great dog, but he is showing aggression towards the cats (who have to be kept separate). We are working with a trainer in the next week or two, but if he feels it's not safe for the cats we will have to find him a home.

I give you this advice because we are heartbroken over the possibility (and likelihood) of finding him another home and I wouldn't want you to have to go through the same thing.

Now the cats not liking the dog at first is MUCH easier to work with! My other pit bull mix ignores both of my cats, but my older female cat (3 yrs old) does not like Bridgette at all and just stays away from her. It's easier to deal with the cats being meanies lol.

So how do you keep them seperate? are the dogs outside? crate trained?
The dogs are both crated when we aren't home. But as for when we're home the cats have their own room. It's technically the guest room, but we never have guests so it's set up with cat toys, scratching posts and all that cat stuff lol. It's not like their locked up, but I feel terrible that they are in there more often at the moment because of the new dog. :/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's exactly what I'm afraid of. I'm thinking if I get a puppy, it may be easier to train it not to chase the cats and may be it will be less intimidating b/c it will be smaller.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
So how do you keep them seperate? are the dogs outside? crate trained?
Both of them are crate trained, but I also have a really huge, very secure outdoor kennel that I can use too. I like to switch things up, so if the weather's nice, I like them to have the oppurtunity to play and exercise together even though I'm not there. Other times, I crate them - for instance, when I'm treating each of them to a nice new bone or stuffed Kong.

By "kennel", I'm talking this -

I wouldn't be willing to leave them outside unsupervised, EVER, if the outdoor space wasn't dig-proof, jump-proof, climb-proof, chew-proof and theft-proof. Not to mention, with protection from the elements as well.

All that said, I also am still actively training Willow to respect the cats. I wouldn't say we're making great progress, but I am going to keep trying. Even though Willow spends a lot of time outdoors, and it works well, I want to have her inside even more than she can be now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Holy cow!!! That's a serious outdoor kennel.

I don't know now. After talking to you guys, now I'm second guessing whether to add a dog to the fam or not. It would kill me to have to give it up, if it doesn't work out. So what would be the best case senerio?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Holy cow!!! That's a serious outdoor kennel.

I don't know now. After talking to you guys, now I'm second guessing whether to add a dog to the fam or not. It would kill me to have to give it up, if it doesn't work out. So what would be the best case senerio?
Thanks for the compliments on the kennel. The deck was already in place when we bought the house, so we got very lucky - we just added a very strong gauge fencing and a few other things to make it secure.

I think the best scenario would be to go through a foster network, or adopt a young puppy. A puppy should be young enough to socialize very easily. Or if you go through a foster family, they will know so much about the dog that they will be able to guide you to the correct decision.

Still, you should do what you are comfortable with! After I got married, I wanted to have a dog for years, but decided to wait until I moved out of my postage-stamp city lot. I don't regret that decision at all. Sometimes it is better to wait.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Oh I did not mean to talk you out of it! By all means I don't think adding a dog to your family is a bad idea.

I think your best bet would be to look into a puppy (closer to 3 months or so) or look through the shelters and find a dog who has been fostered by someone with cats or who came to the shelter from a home with cats.

If it doesn't work out with Brody, and in the FAR distant future I will be looking for either a puppy or a dog that I KNOW if good with cats. Or I might look into fostering myself! That way you can bring a dog home and see how it does with your cats. If it doesn't work out you'd be fostering and wouldn't have to rehome the dog rather than just be that foster parent. If the dog ended up fitting in with you and the cats it could go from foster to your new family member :)

It might take a bit more time, but they do make an awesome addition to the family! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you both. I think were off to check out a few other pups this weekend. I'll definitely keep my eye open for a foster dog that's known to be good with cats, if I can't find a puppy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a shepard/rotti and cats were an issue. I'ts been a little over a year and they are loose togeather by themself. Rufus is about 2 1/2 years old now. For about the first 9 or 10 months we gated the stairs and the cats stayed in the basement/ family room. He will still chase them but I'm confident he wont kill them, he has had chances The cats have plenty of places to get under and we make sure that the doors to the hall stay open so they can't be pinned without a way out. I can hand feed them treats togeather, the only problem is if Rufus thinks he is left out, then he can be a pain and he will chase them.

The cats are about 6 or 7 and set in there ways they would vote Rufus off the island if they could I'm sure.

My previous dog was an rescued Akita who was dog/animal aggresive, we got the cats as kittens and I musseled her for about 3 months around the cats and that worked out too.

I think you should be able to get an idea of how they will get along, I would mussel the dog and see what happens, go slow. you should have a good idea about the dogs intentions pretty quick.

Mike

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have an aussie shepherd mix that just loves cats. We got him when the cat was about 6 months old. He was 5 weeks. The only downside is that we have a lot of outdoor cats in our neighborhood- our neighbor that we share a yard with took in all the strays and had them fixed/get shots and feeds them every night. Now Belvie thinks every cat is his omg best friend!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Bull Terrier who had puppies and I kept the smallest one Lucy. I think Lucy's father was a shepperd or mixed shepperd. I have 4 indoor cats that also go outside and one outdoor cat that tries to get inside all the time especially in the winter.
I have cat holes in my house so that the cats have a way to escape the dogs. Only one of my cats teases the dogs. My bull terrier does not bother my cats at all, she likes them. Sometimes when Lucy goes after the teaser cat, her mother "Baby" the bull terrier will get in on the fun and bark and hop around. So far the cats have never been hurt by the dogs. They are all loose all day in my house when I'm away. Lucy used to have a serious chewing problem but she seems to have grown out of it. She's very smart and she has always been able to get out of any cage or room that I've locked her in (so I leave her loose). She also runs so fast through the forest, climbs rocks like a goat and I've seen her go half way up a tree after one of my cats.
I recommend CAT HOLES to allow the cats to go from room to room when the doors are closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts