Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've never heard of this brand but I tend to like family businesses based in Texas. They're next door to rendering plants so they have first dibs on meat with low freight costs, hence generally lower prices to the consumer. In fact Merrick began as a rendering plant, cleverly branched out into high margin "natural" treats and eventually super premium food before accepting outside investors and an eventual acquisition by Purina (which personally doesn't bother me at all). Also these foods tend to market themselves by word of mouth and are generally distributed through feed stores, which keeps their price low. The current hot brand among both hunters and net aficionados is Victor, whose offerings look very similar to Muenster.

I agree that there's something attractive about the high calorie count, particularly in a "traditional" food vs. Evo, say, which has a lot of calories from meat at the cost of mineral balance. For the heck of it I checked out Muenster's cat food. Holy cow, it's got 661 calories a cup, which is the highest I've ever seen. I couldn't feed it to my two indoor cats; I'd be feeding them less than a quarter cup a day to prevent them ballooning up. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I received the food but have not opened it yet. The hounds are still working through their old food. I was researching kennel discounts from food companies and took a look at Native. All four of their foods are high calorie. I am going to instead go with Native Level 4.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts