Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I are going to be roommates starting in four weeks, and we each have a dog. She is taking the family dog to school with her because it's going to be easier for her family for the time being. We'll also have two other roommates, both of which have had dogs and other pets requiring consistency and responsibility. My dog has done the four roommate thing before, and no one had complaints. The new dog is younger, a bit more energetic, and where she isn't a problem child she does require some specific considerations. Everyone was informed of her before agreeing to move in.

Friend and I are starting to talk about rules for the dogs before we all get back in town and start living together. Luckily my friend and I are both very similar on our expectations for our animals (and both dogs have gone through obedience classes and socialization, but have yet to meet). Not allowed on the couch, no begging, use of crates, etc. We're establishing house guidelines for both dogs, which will be written out and on the living room wall, along with a list called "Words Dogs Know." I had similar lists up for just my dog last year so people would know how effectively communicate with him, and not encourage bad behaviors, and it worked really well. We're planning on sitting down and talking with the two other people on how we want the dogs handled so things are clear. Mostly for the younger dog, as the slightly older dog has met everyone already and really is no issue with people.

The plan is to crate both dogs when no one is home, and to feed them separately. We might do a communal toy bin (the dogs will have to tell us if that works, or not). Both dogs aren't allowed to play rough in the house, and will be separated/crated if they behave like that. We'll be near a big field where the dogs can go out with us and rough house if they like (they have similar play styles). We have one baby gate, and might get more.

I'm not at all worried about my friend and I not being able to work things out between us, or establish ground rules with our other roommates (established friends) but I just wanted to see if anyone has ever had a living arrangement like this, and if they could think of anything I hadn't mentioned, or had suggestions before any issues came up.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Well, I've had a terrible roommate/dog situation in the past, but it sounds like you've been much more proactive about discussing your expectations than we were. Sounds like you're on the right track!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds like you've got everything under control.

I lived with 2 friends of mine and their 2 dogs (a shepherd/huskey mix and a terrier mix; both under a year old) with Dixie (1 y/o) and Jasper (3 y/o)for a bit late last year. It worked out really well because we all introduced the dogs a few times and discussed what we expected out of each and how they were to be treated and communicated with (which wasn't much difference for each). Each was kenneled when everyone was gone, at night, and when they got too rowdy inside. We also did a big group walk in the evening so we could all go back and hang out watching tv before going to bed; it was nice to have 4 tired dogs at the end of the evening. LOL. (the only reason we aren't living together now is because one of my friends had to move out of town for work, and me and my other friend couldn't afford the rent and utilities just the 2 of us, so we moved back in with our parents)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts